FROM STAFF REPORTS
---- — INDIANAPOLIS — Camp Riley provides children with physical disabilities enriching, life-changing experiences in a traditional camping environment tailored to their individual needs. For 59 years, campers have shattered perceived limitations, met new friends and reached higher achievements, allowing them to return home with an increased sense of independence and confidence, according to Camp Riley staff.
“Around the World” is the theme for Camp Riley in 2014. Online applications to secure a spot for Camp Riley are available at RileyKids.org/Camp.
Camp Riley is an extension of Riley Hospital for Children, integrating medical and nursing directors, pharmacists and staff to the Camp Riley program. It offers 24-hour medical care by Riley Hospital staff. Approximately 70 percent of the campers have been patients at Riley Hospital, but any child age 8 through 18 with a physical disability is welcome to attend Camp Riley.
The staff-to-camper ratio never exceeds 1 to 3. Children can attend one of five Camp Riley sessions offered during a six-week span. Sessions offer camaraderie, swimming, hiking, horseback riding, vertical climbing, canoeing, art projects and other activities. New families may also attend Newcomer’s Day from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. May 24 to learn more about Camp Riley. RileyKids.org/Camp offers an online photo gallery showcasing camp activities.
Camp Riley takes place at Bradford Woods, Indiana University’s outdoor recreation center located 20 miles southwest of Indianapolis (in Martinsville). In 2013, 219 campers enrolled in Camp Riley, representing 57 Indiana counties and seven states: Indiana, Illinois, Iowa, Maryland, Michigan, Ohio and Pennsylvania. Since 1955, Camp Riley has served more than 13,000 children.
Because of Riley Children’s Foundation and donors, the cost to attend Camp Riley is $400 for a one-week session and $800 for a two-week session. Beyond that, a sliding scale is available depending on household income. In 2013, 37 percent of Camp Riley families qualified for a reduced camper fee. Every child can attend Camp Riley regardless of their ability to pay. No child will be turned away.
Questions should be directed to Riley Children’s Foundation at 877-867-4539 or email@example.com. Donors interested in providing the Camp Riley experience to Indiana children with the gift of a campership should contact Riley Children’s Foundation.
Camp Riley offers five levels of camp programming:
• Riley 2, June 15 through 20, ages 8 through 18, one-week session is for campers who benefit from a 1-to-2 staff-to-camper ratio.
• Riley 1, June 29 through July 4, ages 8 through 18, for campers who benefit from a 1-to-1 staff-to-camper ratio.
• Kan-Du, July 6 through 11, ages 8 through 18, designed for youth with cognitive and physical functioning levels assessed between 0 and 48 months and who thrive in a 1-to-1 staff-to-camper ratio.
• Riley 3, July 13 through 25, ages 8 through 18, a two-week session designed for campers who are ready for a longer camp experience and thrive in a 1-to-3 staff-to-camper ratio.
• Venture Beyond the Woods, July 13 through 25, ages 14 through 18, two-week session for older campers looking to develop leadership and life skills and thrive in a 1-to-3 staff-to-camper ratio.