The American Red Cross is asking eligible blood donors to help prevent a summer blood shortage. Blood donors with types O negative, B negative and A negative are especially needed.
The Red Cross is seeing fewer appointments at its blood donation centers and blood drives this summer than are needed to ensure blood and platelets continue to be available for patients.
Blood and platelet donations are needed every day for patients with many serious medical conditions. Accident and burn victims, heart surgery patients, organ transplant patients, and those receiving treatment for leukemia, cancer or sickle cell disease may all need blood.
Here are some blood donation opportunities in the area:
• 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. July 21 at Bona Vista, 1226 E. Hoffer St., Kokomo.
• 2 to 6 p.m. July 21 at Advance America, 21 Broadway Plaza, Peru.
• 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. July 22 at St. Joseph Hospital, 1907 W. Sycamore St., Kokomo.
• Noon to 6 p.m. July 22 at Crossroads Community Church, 4254 S. 00 East-West, Kokomo.
• 8:30 a.m. to 2:30 p.m. July 25 at Maconaquah High School, 256 E. 800 South, Bunker Hill.
• 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. July 26 at Bethany Fellowship School, 600 E. 5169 North, Kokomo.
• 8 a.m. to 1 p.m. July 29 at First Church of the Nazarene, 2734 S. Washington St., Kokomo.
• 12:30 to 5 p.m. July 29 at Galveston United Methodist Church, 515 S. Maple St., Galveston.
• 11:30 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. July 30 at Parkview United Methodist Church, 1785 Indiana 19, Peru.
• Boon to 6 p.m. July 31 at Kokomo High School, 2501 S. Berkley Road, Kokomo.
• 1 to 6 p.m. July 31 at Shiloh United Methodist Church, 5741 W. 100 North, Kokomo.
To make an appointment, call 800-RED CROSS (800-733-2767) or visit redcrossblood.org.