Kokomo Tribune; Kokomo, Indiana

November 12, 2013

Boy rescued from ductwork of Fort Wayne house


Kokomo Tribune

---- — FORT WAYNE (AP) — Firefighters in Fort Wayne rescued a 1-year-old boy after he fell several feet into a heating duct at his family's home.

Firefighters say the boy fell through a loose vent cover on Monday and dropped about eight feet before becoming stuck between the home's first floor and basement.

Fire Lt. Kasie Platt tells WANE-TV that the child was crying as firefighters worked to break through the wall, so they knew he was able to breathe. Platt says the boy fell so far into the vent that firefighters could hardly see him at first.

Platt says the boy didn't suffer any significant injuries.