Kokomo Tribune; Kokomo, Indiana

December 5, 2013

Smoking blamed in Flora fire that killed man

Kokomo Tribune

---- — FLORA (AP) — Authorities in northern Indiana say a man has died after a fire in his apartment that was possibly sparked by him smoking a cigarette while using an oxygen tank.

The man's wife escaped from the fire Wednesday in the Carroll County town of Flora, but police chief Paul Redmon says the man was inside the apartment until an officer crawled inside to rescue him.

Redmon tells WLFI-TV a firefighter then guided the officer out as they tried to save the man. That man was taken to an Indianapolis hospital, but he died several hours later.

Redmon says it appears an oxygen tank caught fire in the apartment's living room. Firefighters contained the blaze to the single apartment in the building. The police officer was treated for minor smoke inhalation