Kokomo Tribune; Kokomo, Indiana

Breaking News

April 1, 2013

Dog alerts couple to house fire

ELLETTSVILLE, Ind. — A southern Indiana couple says their dog helped them escape unharmed from a house fire that was apparently sparked by a backyard grill.

The couple says their 7-year-old labradoodle, Macy, began barking Sunday afternoon just before they heard a loud roar. They fled their rented home in Ellettsville with the canine.

The home's owner, Lou Shelton, tells The Herald-Times (http://bit.ly/Z3gaVu ) the dog may have smelled gas leaking from a propane tank on the grill.

Ellettsville Fire Chief Jim Davis says the fire that destroyed the home about 45 miles southwest of Indianapolis appears to have started at a propane cylinder and barbecue grill behind the home. He says the residents had recently used the grill and were storing another propane cylinder in a nearby shed.

1
Text Only | Photo Reprints
Breaking News
Latest news
Featured Ads
Only on our website
AP Video
Obama Chides House GOP for Pursuing Lawsuit New Bill Aims to Curb Sexual Assault on Campus Russia Counts Cost of New US, EU Sanctions 3Doodler Bring 3-D Printing to Your Hand Six PA Cops Indicted for Robbing Drug Dealers Britain Testing Driverless Cars on Roadways Raw: Thousands Flocking to German Crop Circle At Least 20 Chikungunya Cases in New Jersey Raw: Obama Eats Ribs in Kansas City In Virginia, the Rise of a New Space Coast Raw: Otters Enjoy Water Slides at Japan Zoo NCAA Settles Head-injury Suit, Will Change Rules Raw: Japanese Soldiers Storm Beach in Exercises Raw: Weapons Fire Hits UN School in Gaza Raw: Rocket Launches Into Space With Cargo Ship Broken Water Main Floods UCLA Two Women Narrowly Avoid Being Hit by Train Crayola Announces Family Attraction in Orlando
Parade
Magazine

Click HERE to read all your Parade favorites including Hollywood Wire, Celebrity interviews and photo galleries, Food recipes and cooking tips, Games and lots more.
Obituaries
Poll
Kelly Lafferty's video on Tom Miller