Kokomo Tribune; Kokomo, Indiana

Breaking News

December 5, 2013

Smoking blamed in Flora fire that killed man

FLORA (AP) — Authorities in northern Indiana say a man has died after a fire in his apartment that was possibly sparked by him smoking a cigarette while using an oxygen tank.

The man's wife escaped from the fire Wednesday in the Carroll County town of Flora, but police chief Paul Redmon says the man was inside the apartment until an officer crawled inside to rescue him.

Redmon tells WLFI-TV a firefighter then guided the officer out as they tried to save the man. That man was taken to an Indianapolis hospital, but he died several hours later.

Redmon says it appears an oxygen tank caught fire in the apartment's living room. Firefighters contained the blaze to the single apartment in the building. The police officer was treated for minor smoke inhalation

1
Text Only | Photo Reprints
Breaking News
Latest news
Featured Ads
Only on our website
AP Video
Netanyahu Vows to Destroy Hamas Tunnels Obama Slams Republicans Over Lawsuit House Leaders Trade Blame for Inaction Malaysian PM: Stop Fighting in Ukraine Cantor Warns of Instability, Terror in Farewell Ravens' Ray Rice: 'I Made a Huge Mistake' Florida Panther Rebound Upsets Ranchers Small Plane Crash in San Diego Parking Lot Busy Franco's Not Afraid of Overexposure Fighting Blocks Access to Ukraine Crash Site Dangerous Bacteria Kills One in Florida Workers Dig for Survivors After India Landslide Texas Scientists Study Ebola Virus Smartphone Powered Paper Plane Debuts at Airshow Southern Accent Reduction Class Cancelled in TN
Parade
Magazine

Click HERE to read all your Parade favorites including Hollywood Wire, Celebrity interviews and photo galleries, Food recipes and cooking tips, Games and lots more.
Obituaries
Poll
Kelly Lafferty's video on Tom Miller