Kokomo Tribune; Kokomo, Indiana

Breaking News

Breaking News

February 3, 2014

Ind. plans $75M push to demolish abandoned homes

Indianapolis — Indiana officials plan to use a $75 million federal grant to demolish thousands of blighted houses in the state.

Lt. Gov. Sue Ellspermann announced the initiative Monday at the Statehouse. She says knocking down blighted and abandoned homes will help maintain property values and cut down on crime.

An estimated 4,000 houses could be demolished with the money, a fraction of the more than 50,000 abandoned homes statewide.

Cities and counties can apply for a portion of the grant starting this month.

RealtyTrac reports that about a third of Indiana's foreclosed houses are abandoned, among the highest percentage in the country.

Indianapolis also was ranked in the top 20 of metro areas with the highest number of abandoned homes last year.

 

1
Text Only | Photo Reprints
Breaking News
Latest news
Featured Ads
Only on our website
AP Video
Raw: Deadly Bombing in Egypt Raw: What's Inside a Commercial Jet Wheel Well Raw: Obama Arrives in Japan for State Visit Raw: Anti-Obama Activists Fight Manila Police Motels Near Disney Fighting Homeless Problem Michigan Man Sees Thanks to 'bionic Eye' Obama to Oso: We'll Be Here As Long As It Takes Bon Jovi Helps Open Low-income Housing in Philly Pipeline Opponents Protest on National Mall Hagel Gets Preview of New High-tech Projects S.C. Man Apologizes for Naked Walk in Wal-Mart New Country Music Hall of Fame Inductees Named 'Piles' of Bodies in South Sudan Slaughter SCOTUS Hears Tv-over-Internet Case Chief Mate: Crew Told to Escape After Passengers Iowa College Finds Beauty in Bulldogs
Parade
Magazine

Click HERE to read all your Parade favorites including Hollywood Wire, Celebrity interviews and photo galleries, Food recipes and cooking tips, Games and lots more.
Obituaries
Poll
Kelly Lafferty's video on Tom Miller