BLOOMINGTON (AP) — Fire destroyed much of a bingo hall and tavern owned by a veterans group in southern Indiana.
Flames shot through the roof of AMVETS Post 2000's bar near Bloomington on Tuesday and that building's roof collapsed.
Post employee Brenda Waltz-Kerr tells The Herald-Times about 10 people dashed from the bar after a post member opened a side door and found a wall of smoke.
Van Buren Township fire Lt. Toby Liff says the blaze started in the adjacent bingo hall, which sustained extensive smoke damage.
Firefighters also had to deal with 90-degree-plus heat while at the scene. Liff says one firefighter was taken to a hospital with heat exhaustion. No other injuries were reported.