Ivy Tech Community College assistant professor Michael Erny has been recognized for excellence in instruction for the Kokomo region.
Since 1983, Ivy Tech has selected 14 faculty members – one from each region – to receive the President’s Award for Excellence in Instruction.
Erny has led the Kokomo Region Automotive Program for seven years, revolutionizing it into an innovative, adaptable and effective program that produces highly skilled, well-qualified graduates. He also coordinates the college’s Automotive Institute, a 35-hour-a-week, 40-week program that prepares students for the workplace while they earn an accelerated associate degree.
In choosing Erny for the award, school leaders noted he leads by example, not only in the technical application of knowledge under the hood, but also in his pursuit of that knowledge. He holds a number of National Institute for Automotive Service Excellence certifications as well as a full-service Cummins certification. In 2013, Erny completed his Master of Science degree in career and technical education from Indiana State University.
The other 2014 President’s Awards recipients include:
• Northeast region: Robert D. Parker, program chair of industrial technology;
• Southern Indiana region: Robert L. York, associate professor and dean of School of Liberal Arts and Sciences and School of Fine Arts and Design, and Academic Skills Assessment;
• Lafayette region: Massimiliano A. Giorgini, assistant professor of Spanish;
• Southeast region: Rebecca L. Rahschulte, associate professor of psychology;
• Southwest region: Daniel J. Dickman, associate professor of psychology;
• North Central region: Malinda Mansfield, assistant professor of student success;
• Richmond region: Emily Y. Samborsky, instructor of student success;
• Columbus region: Erin Lehman, assistant professor of English;
• Central Indiana region: Barbara A. Wylie, associate professor of education;
• Wabash Valley region: Pam Passen, assistant professor of office administration;
• Northwest region: Deborah L. Stipp, associate professor of psychology;
• Bloomington region: Sengyong Lee, professor of biotechnology; and
• East Central region: Naomi Jones, assistant professor of nursing.