Small glass bottle for storing, preferably dark to prolong the life of the perfume, but clear glass works too
2 Tablespoons carrier oil, such as jojoba or almond oil
4 Tablespoons vodka (higher proof means less alcohol smell)
2 Tablespoons distilled water (not tap water)
At least 3 essential oils, representing the top, middle and base notes
1. In the mixing bottle, place the essential oils in the ratios desired. A general rule is 6 to 8 drops of base note, 15 to 20 drops of middle note and 9 to 12 drops of top note, depending on preference (mix, sniff, adjust). You will use about 30 to 40 total drops of essential oil.
2. Add the carrier oil and vodka; thoroughly shake. Set bottle aside for at least 48 hours and up to 6 weeks, preferably in a cool, dark place.
3. After this "resting" period, add distilled water and shake bottle.
4. Put the coffee filter into the funnel and transfer the perfume from the blending bottle to the storage bottle. This is a slow process; be patient.
5. The perfume is ready to use (shake before use).