Here’s what was going on in the local scene this week. Give us a wave next time you see us.
- This week's best bets 1) Country for a cause Support slain soldier James Vester at a benefit concert featuring Indiana's own Walker County at 7 p.m. Saturday at Rhum Academy of Music. Walker County is a family band from Sulfur Springs. Eighteen-year-old Ivy Dene and 15-ye
- Travolta embarrassed by name gaffe The world took the rare opportunity to laugh at John Travolta for something this past Sunday, when the man whose sole job it is to read words written by others accidentally introduced “Idina Menzel” as “Adele Dazeem.” After speaking aloud the name of
- Editor's Picks 1) Country concert Country crooner Frankie Ballard performs at 8 Seconds Saloon in Indianapolis tonight. Ballard will bring his top-15 hit "Helluva Life" to the stage. "Helluva Life" is the opener from Sunshine & Whiskey, an album that announces Ball
- A Christmas during the depression Sometimes all a girl needs on Christmas is a brand-new, hand sewn dress for her special doll baby. In honor of all this ridiculous snow that refuses to go away, I’m bringing you a story this week about Christmas during the Great Depression. Yes, it’s
Sisters sing country for a cause
The Walker sisters sang in the streets of Nashville for the first time nearly a decade ago and were tickled to find that they earned $4 in tips in 10 minutes. They were in fourth and seventh grades at the time. The girls later went back with an hour’s worth of music and once again sang their hearts out on Broadway Street.
- Help me make bail Folks, I'm going to jail. What's my crime, you ask? Well, I befriended WWKI morning show co-host Lindsay Eckert who didn't want to end up in the slammer alone, so she took me down with her. OK. That might be a little dramatic. Stop freaking out now.
Harmeson home getting makeover
Matt and Daphnie Harmeson and four of their kids just moved out of their 2517 Brookshire Drive home and into a rental that's smaller than their master suite. "We're packed in [the new house] like sardines," Matt said Wednesday. It's only temporary, though, and it will be worth it, he said.
- Editor's Picks 1) Crank up the music Capitol Records artist Jon Pardi headlines 8 Seconds Saloon Sunday in Indianapolis. Pardi released his debut album "Write You A Song" on Jan. 14 featuring his Top 10 hit “Up All Night” and debut single “Missin’ You Crazy.” Pard
- This week's best bets 1) Live on stage See the Kokomo Tribune's own Jill Bond on stage during Kokomo Civic Theatre's production of "The Odd Couple Female Version." She plays Florence Ungar, a neurotic woman who just separated from her husband and is trying to land on her
Area women bring 'The Odd Couple' to life
It's the early 1980s in New York City and Olive Madison invites the girls over for an evening of Trivial Pursuit - instead of poker - and hilarity ensues. That's how Neil Simon's "The Odd Couple Female Version" opens up. Kokomo Civic Theatre is bringing the play here next weekend.
- More [friday] Headlines