Here’s what was going on in the local scene this week. Give us a wave next time you see us.
- Ode to a man named Merlyn He crept up to the curb in his maroon Oldsmobile – an angel with wheels instead of wings. The slight 90-year-old parked and shuffled over to me. Up close, I could see the tufts of white, wiry hair on his head and the big grin on his face. “Did they t
- Out & About Santa and Mrs. Claus chugged into downtown Kokomo atop a U.S. Rail train engine Saturday. The couple delighted throngs of children. After telling Santa what they wanted for Christmas, the kids got the chance to build stuff in Santa's workshop and pet
- This week's best bets 1) Laugh the night away Prepare for a night of laughs. Comedian Tim Meadows performs at Elite Banquet & Conference Center Saturday night. Meadows has been in a variety of movies like "Mean Girls," "Ladies Man" and "Grown Ups." He's also been a longti
- I think Grandma is Super Woman So I think Grandma is Super Woman. My grandmother survived the Great Depression, raised 11 kids (nine of them boys) and helped manage the family farm after my grandfather died. Over the years, she has collected some incredible stories – outrageous on
- Crescendos turn classics to rock The IUK Crescendos show choir will turn classic, solemn Christmas tunes into up-tempo rock songs tonight during their annual Christmas show. "Rockin' Around the Christmas Tree" will be set inside a rock cafe and will feature a little dialogue, some s
- Editor's picks 1) Circus time Bankers Life Fieldhouse hosts Ringling Bros. and Barnum & Bailey: Built to Amaze today through Sunday. This extraordinarily engineered circus experience is where children of all ages find out what it takes to build "The Greatest Show O
1) Holidays are here Christmas at the Seiberling kicks off Saturday night. The historic mansion will be lit with beautiful Christmas lights at 6 p.m. There will be music, an angel-guessing game for kids, carriage rides and a visit from Santa. It's a
Out and About
It's time to get in the holiday spirit. Those involved in the We Care Trim-A-Tree auction already have. Sunday, We Care organizers auctioned off themed Christmas trees decorated earlier this month by 80 area businesses. Last year's auction raised mor
1) Looking for a white Christmas? Footlite Musicals continues its holiday production of Irving Berlin's "White Christmas," with performances tonight, Saturday and Sunday at Hedback Community Theater, 1847 North Alabama Street, Indianapolis. Curtain t
Going on a treasure hunt
I’ve become a treasure hunter of sorts, scouring Kokomo for hidden gems. No, I’m not digging holes, expecting to find a brick of gold. The gems I’m looking for are undiscovered people and places with loads of character and stories to tell.
- More [friday] Headlines