- This week's best bets 1) Fun for the family Throngs of teen girls will take the stage at IU Kokomo's Havens Auditorium this weekend to swoon over rock star Conrad Birdie, played by Jeremiah Smith, in Kokomo Civic Theatre's production of "Bye Bye Birdie." The musical, set
- Tales from the spelling bee I spoke to an 11-year-old this week who I swear is a more poised and accomplished version of myself at that age. She’s the girl I wanted to be then. Anastasia Spahr, a Maconaquah Elementary School student, is a voracious reader, a writer and quite th
- Editor's Picks 1) A family affair Bring the family and get swept up with Disney’s high-flying "Mary Poppins," live on stage for the first time at Beef & Boards Dinner Theatre in Indianapolis. Based on one of the most popular Disney films of all time, this musical i
- Out & About Howard County EMA hosted its first community day Saturday to wrap up national EMS week. More than 100 people circulated the parking lot at the county's EMA facilities to get an up-close look at the services EMA provides. Firefighters demonstrated how
- This week's best bets 1) Fun for a cause Support CW’s Team during its Ride & Jams event. The ride starts at Harley Davidson of Kokomo. Sign in is from noon to 1 p.m. Saturday. The ride ends at Kokomo Fraternal Order of Eagles, 1221 E. Loncoln Road. Cost is $10 per rider.
An ode to parents with no kids
I celebrated Mother’s Day this weekend (a week late, I know) with my two special moms. No, I don’t have two birth mothers, or a stepmother or even a mother-in-law. But I have an aunt who deserves just as much credit for raising me as my own amazing m
'Bye Bye Birdie' coming to Kokomo
A gaggle of teen girls in Sweet Apple, Ohio, swooned when they caught sight of heartthrob Conrad Birdie. They followed him around town, even setting up camp outside the house he was staying in, singing to him until they fell asleep. “We love you Conrad, oh yes we do,” they sang sweetly.
- Editor's Picks 1) Improv comedy One Size Fits All performs at Lafayette Civic Theatre at 7:30 p.m. Saturday. One Size Fits All has the longest-running improvisational comedy show in Tippecanoe County. During the show, players flex their comedic muscles for laughs a
- Editor's Picks 1) Explore China from Indiana Take Me There: China, the new, permanent exhibit at Indianapolis Children's Museum, is one of the largest comprehensive exhibits on contemporary China (if not the largest) ever produced in the United States. Visitors wil
- Lessons learned from a farmer I picked up Saturday’s Kokomo Tribune a few days late and carefully read my co-worker’s story “Looking for rain.” I immediately started jotting down mental notes for myself. They looked something like this: “Most of corn planted. Farmers say soil dry
- More [friday] Headlines