Attention, liberals: Big Bird among 1%
One might think that it has something to do with Halloween, as folks dressed in Big Bird costumes show up at Mitt Romney campaign stops. They are not there to trick-or-treat, though. These folks are expressing their opposition to Mr. Romney’s remarks about reducing taxpayer funding to PBS. So costumed characters are showing up with accusations that Mitt Romney is out to kill Big Bird. Seriously?
First, recognize that recommendations to reduce funding to the Corporation for Public Broadcasting are included in proposals from the Obama administration’s Simpson-Bowles deficit reduction commission. Why then has Big Bird not been making appearances at Mr. Obama’s campaign stops?
Second, PBS affiliates have become increasingly corporatized. In spite of receiving multiples of millions of dollars from foundations, such as the George Soros Open Society Institution, and support from “viewers like you,” they still demand the siphoning of taxpayer revenues.
Third, in the three years from 2003 to 2006, “Sesame Street” received more than $200 million from toy and consumer product revenues. According to the not-for-profit 990 tax form, Sesame Street Workshop president and CEO Gary Knell received $956,513 in compensation in 2008. Know any not-for-profits in any of our fair towns paying hundreds of thousands of dollars out in compensation? And continuing to demand taxpayer funding to boot?
Folks can show up dressed in Big Bird costumes if they want; it is near Halloween, after all. But perhaps they should pause and consider this: Trick-or-treat! Big Bird is a 1-percenter!
Charles A. Layne, Bunker Hill
Attention, liberals: Big Bird among 1%
- LETTERS: Mast homestead celebrates 150 years Mast homestead celebrates 150 yearsThe two-story frame, Pennsylvania-Dutch style house on the Larry and Barbara Hensler farm 2 miles west of Plevna is 150 years old this year. In fact it may even be a little older than that. Lloyd Hensler used to say
- LETTERS: Christians must stand with Israel 'As Christians we must stand with life' The present conflict in Israel is with Hamas, recognized even in Egypt as a terrorist organization. Recently Hamas formed a unity government with the Palestinian Authority in Gaza. They're now the government in
- LETTERS: Let's hope 7th Circuit sides with couples Let’s hope 7th Circuit sides with couplesIf you blinked over the past month, you probably missed some news about marriage equality in Indiana.First, a federal court ruled that the state’s ban on marriage for same-sex couples was unconstitutional, whi
- LETTERS: Trust chemical, seed firms and the FDA? Trust chemical, seed firms and the FDA?Let’s see ... Mr. Don Villwock, Indiana Farm Bureau president, wants the FDA to define what genetically engineered foods are, and then he wants it to be optional or voluntary for food companies to tell consumers
- LETTERS: Show support where you spend money Show support where you spend moneyReinvest in your community. It is something you hear often, but what does it mean and how do you effectively do it?Thankfully, there are people in our community who can give six-figure donations to projects like the
- LETTER: Highway plan short on alternatives Highway plan short on alternativesAs reported Monday, the usual business interests have once again trotted out their usual list of highway projects they want built. Maybe it is time for us to ask for more efficient use of our existing highways and st
- LETTERS: GMO letter writer gets it wrong GMO letter writer gets it all wrong Indiana Farm Bureau applauds Rep. Todd Rokita for co-sponsoring HR4432, the Safe and Accurate Food Labeling Act. A letter in the July 10 issue of the Kokomo Tribune criticized HR4432 and Rep. Rokita, implying that
- LETTERS: 'God's justice system' needs to be adopted 'God's justice system' needs to be adopted We don't have a justice system. It is just a system. With all the shootings and murders in the news, especially in the last couple of weeks, I have not heard one lawmaker or politician suggest the swift and
- LETTERS: Define marriage as between 2 people Let’s define marriage as between 2 peopleSome people want to amend our state constitution so it will officially define what marriage is. This isn’t necessary. God has already defined marriage. The government must take the position of what it will all
- LETTERS: Rokita aims to keep consumers in dark Rokita aims to keep consumers in dark Rep. Todd Rokita, Indiana's 4th District congressman, is opposed to mandatory labeling of genetically engineered foods (GMOs). The safety of the food on your table may be at stake. Rep. Rokita became a co-sponsor
- More Letters Headlines