Community vitalto abuse prevention
Today’s children are the future leaders, parents and workers. Our future prosperity depends on their healthy growth and development. With the support of engaged communities and nurturing families, all of our children can thrive and have the opportunity to grow into caring and healthy adults.
April is Child Abuse Prevention Month. Hundreds of community individuals are hard at work preparing events that will promote the prevention of child abuse and neglect. As part of the national campaign, “Pinwheels for Prevention,” blue pinwheels will be offered as a symbol of a safe and happy childhood alongside the traditional blue ribbon that represents child abuse awareness.
Kokomo and Howard County businesses have played an important role in promoting awareness of child abuse and neglect prevention in the past, and they have done so in creative ways. We are offering for your consideration joining this year’s “Sign On” campaign anytime during the month of April. A business can Sign On by:
• Displaying a “Cherishing Children, Affirming Families” window cling in your front business window — provided by request.
• Displaying a positive message on a changeable sign such as “April is Child Abuse Prevention Month” and “Cherish the Children.”
• Displaying a Prevent Child Abuse sign — provided by request.
• Displaying a pinwheel bouquet explaining what you can do to help prevent abuse and promote healthy children — provided by request.
• Supporting attendance at the Prevent Child Abuse annual conference, April 15, at Oakbrook Church. The conference will feature international keynote speaker and author Pamela Jett. The conference is free and open to the public.
Limited supplies of blue ribbons, pinwheel bouquets, window clings and signs are available through Family Service Association’s Prevent Child Abuse program. You may request prevention materials and conference information by calling Family Service Association interns Felicia Young, 765-513-9328, or Katherine Coleman, 765-860-0336, during normal business hours.