Who is the source? Verify the facts
Our friend, the late attorney Dick Regnier, used to tell us, “Before you believe an article, determine who is the source.” Good advice then and today.
Many anti wind-farm quotes in the Tribune Letters to Editor are from unknown people supposedly in Benton County. No name, address. Their quotes are mixed with opinions of the Tipton County writer.
If you cannot check the source and verify the writer’s facts, should you believe what he writes?
Benton County’s 2012 population (US census bureau) was 8,804. There are probably a few people out of 8,804 who would complain about telephone poles or cell phone towers. Who are these 2 or 3 complainers our of the 8,804 citizens?
Where are the opinions of the other Benton County people, many of whom are delighted that the wind farm energy is helping their county?
We’ve visited with families from wind farm areas in Benton & White counties, in Madison County, and with families from central Illinois, all of whom are grateful for the tax money and good roads the wind farms gave them. They, like we, feel fortunate that fine wind companies like juwi and E-On want to help us harvest a free crop for our county.
We have good school systems in Tipton County, good library, roads, utilities and communities. These will not remain top notch without annual maintenance, support and taxes from all who own property in the county.
Since the FannyMae/Freddie Mac housing crash of 2008, savings accounts have disappeared. Big new houses have mortgages that cannot be paid. Jobs are hard to find.
Tipton County now has this wonderful opportunity — once in a lifetime — to let fine, nationally-respected wind companies help us. Let us not turn down this opportunity. Please support and encourage the wind farms to locate in Tipton County for the good of all 15, 695 citizens. (2012 US Census Bureau).
Judy McKinney, Tipton
Who is the source? Verify the facts
Letters to the Editor: April 18, 2014
Attendees at the Tipton County Board of Commissioners meeting April 7 were treated to an appalling lack of both action and concern by the commissioners.
Letter to the Editor: April 17, 2014
On March 20 of this year I attended a public meeting of the Tipton County Economic Development Alliance. Members of this group include the three county commissioners, a member of the county council, two members from the city council, and the mayor.
Letters to the Editor: April 16, 2014
At the time the agenda for the April 7 commissioner meeting came out, I was happy to see that the neglected commissioner board appointments were finally going to be addressed. These appointments had been in limbo for months on end.
Letters to the Editor: April 15, 2014
In a recent “public eye” article written by KT columnist Scott Smith about the proposed industrial wind turbine project; mention was made of the “new deal” brokered by Howard County Commissioners with E.ON.
- April 14, 2014: Letters to the editor Watch for bicyclists on roadways, drivers When you ride a bike near a semi, there are at least four blind spots where the driver can't see you. We need to be careful when we ride near trucks. If we get hit by a semi, it's usually our fault. But we ne
- April 13, 2014: Letters to the editor Grade your elected officials, vote May 6 After attending the Tipton County BOC meeting on April 7, I felt compelled to share a few thoughts. I have tried to keep from attacking our local elected officials as much as possible and, instead, attack the
- April 11, 2014: Letters to the editor Eastern Howard Co. opposes wind farm The majority of people who live in eastern Howard County, including the entire Winger family, do not want wind turbines obstructing our view! We originally signed up with Horizon, thinking it was a win/win proposi
- April 10, 2014: Letters to the editor 'We have turned our backs on God' In light of the Fort Hood shooting this past week, why are we surprised when Spc. Lopez goes on a shooting rampage? We are quick to blame it all on guns and mental illness, but in reality, there is a deeper cause tha
- April 9, 2014: Letters to the editor Is America for sale? High court thinks so Today as I watched the news, I became more and more angry over the things that are happening in our judicial system and politics. I am a proud American, born and raised in the heartland. I was raised to belie
- April 8, 2014: Letters to the editor E-cigarettes pose risk to kids, adults I was very pleased to see the article "Safer cigarette?" that was published April 1. I was particularly happy to see the research quoted in the article bore out what I have already observed in our own community:
- More Letters Headlines
- Letters to the Editor: April 18, 2014