The time is now to take a stand
The citizens of Howard County have watched Tipton County’s elected officials deal with growing opposition to wind farms. They have responded to the concern of their citizens and are reviewing their ordinances related to wind development.
The purpose of having representatives in local government is to represent the people’s will. When the financial gains of a few threaten the quality of life for many, the ordinances that allow it need to be changed. Allowing a property owner to install huge wind turbines as close as 1,000 feet from his neighbor’s home without any notification seems ludicrous.
Recent developments have highlighted the awakening, too late, of residents who “wake up” to the negative results of industrial wind turbines built too close to their homes. It is not too late to save the peace and quality of life in eastern Howard County and every part of the county. Our county commissioners work for the entire county and all its citizens.
We’ve heard many say they will move if Wildcat Wind comes to Howard County. I personally know families who are preparing their homes for sale. Also, we’ve been told by local real estate professionals that questions have been asked regarding where the wind farms will be located. Some have declined to tour homes in the possible wind development areas.
Obviously, if industrial wind farms move in and people move out, our local tax revenue will decline. School corporations will suffer as enrollments drop.
If you’ve been thinking, “It won’t affect me”-think again-our taxes are paying subsidies in the multi millions. If the ordinances aren’t revised now and wind installations come to Howard County it will open the door to every wind energy company looking to cash in.
Susie Cox, Greentown
The time is now to take a stand
- LETTERS: Mast homestead celebrates 150 years Mast homestead celebrates 150 yearsThe two-story frame, Pennsylvania-Dutch style house on the Larry and Barbara Hensler farm 2 miles west of Plevna is 150 years old this year. In fact it may even be a little older than that. Lloyd Hensler used to say
- LETTERS: Christians must stand with Israel 'As Christians we must stand with life' The present conflict in Israel is with Hamas, recognized even in Egypt as a terrorist organization. Recently Hamas formed a unity government with the Palestinian Authority in Gaza. They're now the government in
- LETTERS: Let's hope 7th Circuit sides with couples Let’s hope 7th Circuit sides with couplesIf you blinked over the past month, you probably missed some news about marriage equality in Indiana.First, a federal court ruled that the state’s ban on marriage for same-sex couples was unconstitutional, whi
- LETTERS: Trust chemical, seed firms and the FDA? Trust chemical, seed firms and the FDA?Let’s see ... Mr. Don Villwock, Indiana Farm Bureau president, wants the FDA to define what genetically engineered foods are, and then he wants it to be optional or voluntary for food companies to tell consumers
- LETTERS: Show support where you spend money Show support where you spend moneyReinvest in your community. It is something you hear often, but what does it mean and how do you effectively do it?Thankfully, there are people in our community who can give six-figure donations to projects like the
- LETTER: Highway plan short on alternatives Highway plan short on alternativesAs reported Monday, the usual business interests have once again trotted out their usual list of highway projects they want built. Maybe it is time for us to ask for more efficient use of our existing highways and st
- LETTERS: GMO letter writer gets it wrong GMO letter writer gets it all wrong Indiana Farm Bureau applauds Rep. Todd Rokita for co-sponsoring HR4432, the Safe and Accurate Food Labeling Act. A letter in the July 10 issue of the Kokomo Tribune criticized HR4432 and Rep. Rokita, implying that
- LETTERS: 'God's justice system' needs to be adopted 'God's justice system' needs to be adopted We don't have a justice system. It is just a system. With all the shootings and murders in the news, especially in the last couple of weeks, I have not heard one lawmaker or politician suggest the swift and
- LETTERS: Define marriage as between 2 people Let’s define marriage as between 2 peopleSome people want to amend our state constitution so it will officially define what marriage is. This isn’t necessary. God has already defined marriage. The government must take the position of what it will all
- LETTERS: Rokita aims to keep consumers in dark Rokita aims to keep consumers in dark Rep. Todd Rokita, Indiana's 4th District congressman, is opposed to mandatory labeling of genetically engineered foods (GMOs). The safety of the food on your table may be at stake. Rep. Rokita became a co-sponsor
- More Letters Headlines