A fully involved house fire Thursday night sent two residents to the hospital.
The blaze began at around 10:15 p.m. in the 200 block of East Murden Street. As first-responders swarmed the scene, the road was littered with groups of onlookers clutching each other, bathed in flashing lights.
Kokomo Fire Department Battalion Chief Dave King said that one of the wounded was already outside once they arrived.
“The other we rescued from the rear of the house,” he said.
One of the first on scene was Keith Barnett, a neighbor who had been sitting in his garden when he saw the flames.
“I ran over,” he said, as tears streaked down his face. “I couldn’t get through. The flames overwhelmed me. … That’s my buddy, man. I know them real well.”
King said both residents of the rental home were transported to St. Joseph Hospital.
“The latest report is that they’re both doing well,” he said. “They did both receive a pretty high dose of carbon dioxide.”
The fire started in the living room area of the home and is under investigation.
King said he had no initial indication what may have caused the fire.
When fire crews arrived, the whole front of the house was engulfed in flames, which spread to the second story. The firefighters extinguished the blaze within 20 minutes.
In addition to St. Joseph Hospital paramedics and KFD personnel, the Kokomo Police Department was also amongst the responding agencies.
• Rob Burgess, Tribune night editor, may be reached by calling 765-454-8577 or via email at firstname.lastname@example.org.