Kokomo Tribune; Kokomo, Indiana

September 30, 2013

Large fire displaces Park Place families

Residents say overturned candle ignited blaze.

By Scott Smith Kokomo Tribune
Kokomo Tribune

---- — A group of Park Place Apartments residents are trying to regroup after a fire tore through their building early Saturday morning.

Residents said two of their neighbors went door to door waking residents, after an overturned candle ignited a blaze around 1:30 a.m.

Kokomo Fire Department Deputy Chief Nick Glover said Sunday the fire was accidental and there were no injuries. He said the fire report with additional details would be available Monday.

The fire started in a downstairs apartment in Building H at the large complex at 1901 S. Park Road. Neighbors, who asked not to be named, said several other units suffered smoke damage, and said the apartment complex’s managers were allowing those affected to move into vacant units.

“They’re taking care of us. When they come in Monday, they said they’re going to open up the laundry room and let us use the washers for free to get all of the smoke out of our clothes,” one woman said.

Residents in other buildings helped out with blankets and bottles of water immediately after the fire. The residents estimated about 10 units were affected. Complex managers couldn’t be immediately reached for comment.