From Staff Reports
---- — PERU — Ivy Tech is offering gift certificates for its non-credit cooking classes being offered next semester at the Peru culinary arts lab.
Eight classes are on the schedule at Ivy Tech’s Peru instructional site, located at 425 W. Main St. All sessions will run from 6 to 8:30 p.m. Holiday gift discounts are available for a couples-only Valentine Menu event and for the purchase of a gift certificate for two or more classes.
To purchase a gift certificate by credit card, call Sarah Fawcett at 765-459-0561 ext. 285. Purchasers will receive a gift certificate to present at Christmas along with a flyer detailing the class offerings and how to register. Gift certificate recipients are asked to register for the class(es) they choose by Jan. 15.
Gift certificates for A Romantic Valentine Menu, a couples-only event on Feb. 4, are $143. Gift certificates for the remaining seven classes are priced as follows:
• One class — $95
• Two classes (25 percent discount) — $143
• Four classes (40 percent discount) — $228
• All seven individual classes (50 percent discount) — $332
Culinary classes being offered during spring semester 2014 include:
• Feb. 4 – “Love is in the Air, A Romantic Valentine Menu” limited to six couples. Instructor Harry Kilmer, Old Kettle Saloon, Wabash.
• Feb. 17 – “Hectic Schedule Alert!” on preparing meals with limited time. Instructor Amy Black, Main Occasions, Kokomo.
• March 4 – “Sushi?? Oh, No, Not Sushi!!” on learning to understand, love and make sushi. Instructor Fen, manager of Taku Japanese Steakhouse, Kokomo.
• April 1 – “Chicken 101” on how to deconstruct a whole chicken and different ways to prepare the bird. Instructor Melanie Kiefer, FACS teacher, Peru High School.
• April 15 – “Herbalicious!!” to learn to cook with and grow herbs. Instructor Lynn Hauser, master gardener, Peru.
• April 29 – “Grill like a Pro” on different styles of barbecue, grilling techniques and smoking meats on a charcoal grill. Instructor Noah Peconga, accomplished grillmaster, Indianapolis.
• May 13 – “Seafood Ahoy!!” on handling and cooking seafood. Instructor Mathew Cary, manager of Passion Fish, Washington, D.C.
• May 20 – “Bread – Quickly!” on a variety of quick bread recipes. Instructor Shelly Rust, Kokomo Area Career Center.