What’s a TIF?
There was supposed to be a meeting of the Kokomo Redevelopment Commission last week, but it was canceled. That was probably good news for the Howard County officials who are dreading the possibility of Kokomo city officials capturing huge amounts of new property tax revenue through tax increment financing.
For those not familiar with a TIF district, it’s a method of financing public projects much preferred in Carmel. When some new source of property taxes arrives — such as a factory adding large amounts of machinery — the city where that new source is located can divert the new revenue into a separate account.
Capturing the new revenue with a TIF means the property taxes generated by the new project won’t be used to help shoulder the overall tax burden. So instead of all of the county’s property taxpayers getting some help from the project’s revenues, only the TIF district’s bank accounts receive help. If the new source of revenue is going to be around for a while, the TIF district can bond against the revenue stream to fund projects.
Whether the city will try adding any new TIF districts is unclear. The city already has one TIF in place, which captures taxes generated by new businesses locating downtown. The redevelopment commission is in charge of that revenue.
County officials, however, are clearly concerned. The county’s total tax base shrank considerably when Chrysler got rid of its old machinery, and county officials have been hoping the new machinery Chrysler is adding will fill in the hole.
We shall see what happens next.
the lay of the land
Since taking office as Indiana’s 5th District representative in the U.S. House, Susan Brooks has spent the first three months learning her way around the workings of the nation’s capitol.
During a stop in Tipton last Wednesday, Brooks said it was difficult to judge what issues facing the members of Congress had bipartisan support and an actual chance of passage.
Brooks said it was an honor to be in the House chambers when President Barack Obama gave the State of the Union address.
She commented that her basis for support on proposal from Obama was a simple one.
“When people from both parties stood up to applaud, I figured there was broad support and a chance that legislation would be adopted,” Brooks said. “It happened on immigration and tax reform. It didn’t happen very often.”
Brooks was asked about dissension among members of the Republican Party in Washington, admitting the party has various groups.
“The question is does the leadership have enough votes what is being brought to the floor,” she said. “The challenge is to hold things together to get measures passed.”
Brooks said during a conference there was lot of reflection following the significant election losses in 2012.
“We lost the presidency and didn’t do as well as expected in the Senate,” she said. “We’re the minority party in Washington.”
spring is finally here
The long-awaited Opening Day of the 2013 baseball season is here. Ken roots for the Mets, who will contend for worst team in baseball. And Scott roots for the Reds, who may win the World Series. Whoever you root for, enjoy the season.
What’s a TIF?
- Local News
INDOT to install curbs on Markland
Indiana Department of Transportation maintenance crews have been scheduled to install traffic separator curbs between opposing lanes of State Road 22/Markland Avenue during the week of April 28. Placement of the highly visible manufactured curbing is
- Kokomo Downtown Farmers' Market gets facelift Pint-sized gardeners made homemade Chia Pets at the Kokomo Downtown Farmers' Market Saturday morning while their parents shopped for homegrown produce nearby. The kids packed grass seeds and dirt inside the disposable socks you get at shoe stores. Th
- FEMA grants disaster aid to Tipton County The Federal Emergency Management Agency has approved disaster aid for 19 Indiana counties hit by a January storm that brought paralyzing snow and frigid temperatures. Governor Mike Pence received word Tuesday that FEMA had granted his appeal for fede
- Native American inmate sues Miami Correctional Facility BUNKER HILL - A Native American inmate is suing the Miami Correctional Facility for violating his constitutional religious freedom after the prison last year terminated Native American worship services. Daniel Littlepage says in a class action lawsui
Crowd rallies around domestic violence victims
Doran Gwyn vividly remembers the night his stepdad came home from work and sat down at the table for supper. "He looked at the meal and said, 'What is this,'" Gwyn recalled. Then he took a bowl of food and smashed it against the ceiling in a rage and
- Tipton commission appointments get tangled up in confusion Months of confusion over a pair of appointments to two economic development commissions in Tipton County appear to be coming to an end, but not without its share of confusion. Single appointments to both the Tipton County Economic Development Commiss
FEMA OKs aid for Tipton, 18 counties, but not Howard Co.
The Federal Emergency Management Agency has approved disaster aid for 19 Indiana counties hit by a January storm that brought paralyzing snow and frigid readings.
- Energy-saving program powering down this year Ever wonder how energy efficient your house is? You can find out. For free. But not for long. Energizing Indiana, a 2-year-old initiative of the Indiana Utility Regulatory Commission, offers any homeowner in the state a free energy assessment for the
- Ways to celebrate Earth Day everyday “Help save the planet.” It’s a common phrase that sounds impossible to most of us. After all, what can one person really do to make an impact on the huge environmental issues facing people all over the world? But going green doesn't have to be a daun
Broken blades worry residents
Two broken turbine blades in the past three months have citizens in Tipton County concerned about the safety of the Wildcat Wind Farm. Monday's Tipton County Board of Commissioners meeting provided a forum for residents to speak out, some in favor of
- More Local News Headlines
- INDOT to install curbs on Markland