Camera crews from the cable station TLC will make their way to Kokomo Saturday to film a local realtor and homebuyer for a series called "My First Home."The show will feature Gena Martin, a realtor with The Hardie Group, and a previous first-time homebuyer as they reenact the process of buying a home in Kokomo.Martin said the episode will be a special feature on the program and highlight area businesses like Cook McDoogal’s Irish Pub, Posh Salon and Day Spa and Metropolitan Title Company, as well as a number of local houses.Martin said she landed the gig after TLC emailed her about filming in Kokomo and asked if she’d be interested in being on the show.“At first, I was like ‘Oh, this can’t be real,’” she said. But after she looked into it, Martin said it definitely was the real deal. The cable channel asked her to send in a casting tape featuring her and a first-time homebuyer she’d worked with in the past.Sure enough, the show’s producers liked it.“I was excited when I heard the news,” she said. “I was excited they were coming to the little town of Kokomo.”Film crews will arrive Saturday and film through Thursday, documenting how Martin helped her client find his first home.Martin said she’s a little nervous about being on camera, but added it’s a great opportunity as a realtor to get her name out there and a great chance for people to learn about the city.“I’m pretty excited about it,” she said. “The city has been working to revitalize and beatify the downtown, so it’s cool we can bring the area some national exposure.”My First Home is currently on its fifth season on TLC. Martin said she believes the episode featuring Kokomo will air sometime during season six.Carson Gerber can be reached at 765-854-6739, or at email@example.com.
Cable channel coming to Kokomo to film local houses, businesses.
- Local News
- North split restrictions on Monday The Indiana Department of Transportation will restrict traffic at the single-lane ramp that connects U.S. 31 to southbound Ind. 931 on the north side of Kokomo — weather permitting — on Monday between 9 a.m. and 4 p.m. Remedial repairs along the 200-
Peru restaurant B-K West rebuilding after tornado
PERU -- B-K West is more than just a drive-in restaurant to its owner, J.D. Hann. It's a piece of his childhood, a historic Peru landmark, and it's his baby. "I grew up with this place," the 57-year-old Peru native said. "We used to walk the tracks o
- Congresswoman Susan Brooks backs manufacturing training efforts Congresswoman Susan Brooks' own personal manufacturing experience may have been limited to three months in a Kendallville caramel factory as a college student, but in her congressional roles, she's having an impact on the skills debate. In Kokomo Tue
State Superintendent Glenda Ritz visits Peru, discusses new standards
PERU -- State Superintendent of Public Instruction Glenda Ritz said Tuesday she is comfortable with the quick pace at which new academic standards are moving from concept to classroom. The Indiana Department of Education released a final draft of new
- Chrysler CEO will headline Tipton plant opening Chrysler CEO Sergio Marchionne will preside over the grand opening of the company's fifth north central Indiana plant, the Tipton Transmission Plant, at a ceremony May 13, company officials announced Tuesday. In February 2013, Chrysler announced it w
- More than 70 businesses participate in annual job fair More than 70 local businesses got a look at the workforce of tomorrow during Tuesday's Kokomo Area Job Fair at the Ivy Tech Kokomo Event & Conference Center. The event, put on as a partnership between Indiana University Kokomo and Ivy Tech Community
- Kokomo episode of 'My First Home' airs Saturday A cautious cat-lover will search for the perfect house in Kokomo on Saturday's episode of "My First Home" on TLC. The episode airs at noon and features Kokomo real estate agent Gena Martin and first-time homebuyer Steven Underwood. In its description
- Easter basket workshop Thursday Generous individuals and businesses in town donated enough candy, games and books to fill more than 500 Easter baskets at this year's Tom Carey Easter Basket Workshop. The workshop starts at 10 a.m. Thursday. Any families that are strapped for cash t
- IUK to give Chrysler CEO Sergio Marchionne honorary degree Chrysler CEO Sergio Marchionne will be at Indiana University Kokomo’s May 13 commencement to accept an honorary degree from Indiana University President Michael McRobbie, IUK officials announced. In a statement, McRobbie credited Marchionne with engi
- Cheryl Marner aims to cross finish line during this year's Boston Marathon Cheryl Marner was a mile from the finish line at last year's Boston Marathon when all of the runners in front of her suddenly stopped. The race had come to a halt, and at the time, she didn't know why. "There was a lot of confusion," she said. "I hea
- More Local News Headlines