• 28 percent of 12 to 18 year olds in 2009 reported being bullied at school
• 48 percent were bullied in the halls or stairwells
• 34 percent were bullied inside the classroom
• 24 percent were bullied outside on school grounds
• Nine percent were bullied in the bathroom or locker room
• Seven percent were bullied in the cafeteria
• Six percent reported being bullied on the school bus
• Three percent were bullied somewhere else in the school
• Six percent of students reported being cyberbullied.
• Three percent reported being victims of harassing text messages
• Two percent of students reported another student had posted hurtful information on the Internet.
• One percent had been subject to harassing instant messages
• 17 percent of Asian students ages 12 to 18 reported being bullied
• 29 percent of white and black students and 26 percent of Hispanic students reported being bullied.
Source: National Center for Education Statistics
For more on this story and other local news, subscribe to The Kokomo Tribune eEdition, or our print edition.