In the end, Police Sgt. Melton said he hopes anyone who knows a house contains meth pollution informs authorities and owners pay for decontamination.
Meth residue can be absorbed through the skin, so children crawling around on carpet in a meth house are especially susceptible to its harmful effects, he said.
Even brief exposure to meth residue can cause shortness of breath, coughing, chest pain, dizziness, lack of coordination or burns.
“We’re proactive when it comes to meth,” Melton said. “We track it, we trace it and we go after the bad guys … But I sure don’t want to be a landlord who knows your place had a meth lab and rent it out to a family with little kids. They’re going to get sick.”
Carson Gerber can be reached at 765-854-6739, firstname.lastname@example.org or on Twitter @carsongerber1.
Cleaning up If drug manufacturing activity has been discovered on your property, the property must be cleaned up before it can be reoccupied or sold, according to a handout from the Indiana State Police. "Failure to clean your property leaves you open to liability for injury to others from exposure to dangerous chemicals." Only a state-certified cleanup contractor can clean a property and provide the owner with a "Certificate of Decontamination." Some possible methods for cleanup include painting or scaling all interior surfaces, washing all interior surfaces and removing all potentially contaminated materials. For more information about cleanup, visit http://www.in.gov/meth/2335.htm or call 317-232-4535. Making meth The one pot method of making methamphetamine was the most common type of drug lab seized by the Indiana State Police in 2013, according to statistics released Friday. This type of cooking often uses anhydrous ammonia, pseudoephedrine, water and a reactive metal to produce the drug, often in a 2-liter bottle. A handout from the West Virginia Department of Environmental Protection states this type of manufacture is far more dangerous than previous methods because building pressure from the chemical reaction could cause the container to rupture, exposing the ingredients to the air and creating further explosive danger.