Kokomo Tribune; Kokomo, Indiana

March 21, 2013

BREAKING: Gas leak evacuates Miami Co. courthouse

Officials discover loose pipe in basement.

By Carson Gerber
Tribune staff writer

Peru — The Peru Fire Department issued an emergency evacuation of the Miami County Courthouse this afternoon after courthouse employees complained the smell of natural gas was making them nauseous.

Firefighters and law enforcement officers arrived on scene around 12:15 p.m. in response to the complaint. Assistant Fire Chief John McMillen issued the evacuation.

NIPSCO officials arrived on scene and discovered a pipe with two gas leaks in the basement of the building. Workers shut off the gas inside the courthouse and began repairs.

The fire department reopened the building around 1:15 p.m.

McMillen said Thursday the gas leaks were minor, and there was no threat of an explosion. He said he believed this was the first report of a gas leak inside the courthouse.

Carson Gerber is a Kokomo Tribune reporter. He may be reached at 765-854-6739, or by email at carson.gerber@kokomotribune.com.