The Best Wok Buffet won’t be serving fried rice or General Tso’s chicken anymore.The Chinese restaurant located at 888 W. Main St. permanently closed its doors soon after a tornado tore through Peru last month causing heavy damage to the restaurant’s roof and walls.Peru Building Commissioner Tom Harp said the owner of the building repaired the damage, but the restaurant decided to shut down after the storm. He said the owner is currently looking for a new tenant.“I think the restaurant wasn’t doing as well as they would have liked,” Harp said. “This might have been a good excuse to shut down and move on.”The restaurant’s owner could not be reached for comment.Harp said he wasn’t sure exactly why Best Wok closed, but noted the restaurant was forced to discard all its food after the tornado knocked out power for around 36 hours to large parts of Peru.He said most food vendors salvaged items during the power outage by removing them from their establishments.Best Wok was open for at least three years, Harp said.The tornado also destroyed the drive-in canopy at B&K West restaurant, but owner J.D. Hann said he plans to rebuild and reopen next year. Arby’s is also currently repairing the east side of its building, and plans to reopen soon.Carson Gerber can be reached at 765-854-6739, or at email@example.com.
Chinese restaurant closes doors after building sustained heavy tornado damage.
- MC Weekly
- Peru's Loe earns medal at state wrestling INDIANAPOLIS — Peru’s Evan Loe took fourth place in the 145-pound class in the IHSAA Wrestling State Finals at Bankers Life Fieldhouse. Loe moved up four spots from taking eighth a year ago in at 138 pounds. In Friday's opening round, Loe had little
- Our current MC Weekly issue
- Feb. 26, 2014: Police reports Feb. 17, 11:10 a.m., deputies arrested James W. Walsh, 40, Westville Correctional, on a court order. Feb. 18, 4:10 p.m., police arrested Roy Monroe, 65, 20 block of Wycomb Drive, Peru, on a failure to appear warrant. Feb. 18, 6:40 p.m., deputies arre
- RAY MOSCOWITZ: Glenn Beck's words of unity need to be heeded Glenn Beck said something recently that, frankly, surprised me. Beck told Megyn Kelly on Fox News’ “The Kelly File”: “I wish I could go back and be more uniting in my language, because I think I played a role, unfortunately, in helping tear the count
- San Antonio man glad to receive Medal of Honor SAN ANTONIO (AP) — Former Sgt. Santiago Erevia remembers the day in May 1969 when his Army unit came under heavy enemy fire in Vietnam. While crawling from one wounded solder to the next, the radio telephone operator used two M-16s and several grenad
- RAY MOSCOWITZ: Jim Tidd upbeat on future economic development There’s an abundance of developable land at Grissom Aeroplex and along Peru’s north side off U.S. 24 — but there’s a shortage of buildings throughout Miami County that can accommodate companies seeking facilities. Those circumstances amount to the bi
- Miami County teams fall in girls sectionals Peru, Maconaquah and North Miami all dropped opening-round games in girls basketball sectionals last week. Peru and Maconaquah played in the Class 3A Western Sectional. Northwestern beat Peru 42-38, and No. 6-ranked Western beat Maconaquah 52-20. Per
- Tigers sending 3 grapplers to state finals FORT WAYNE — Peru's wrestling team is sending a strong contingent to the state finals. Seniors Evan Loe, Kegan Kern and Nick Cress all punched tickets to the state finals by finishing in the top four in their respective weight classes at the Fort Way
- Feb. 19, 2014: Police reports Feb. 10, 6:30 p.m., deputies arrested Charles D. Smith, 44, 10 block of Main Street, Onward, on a warrant for resisting law enforcement. Feb. 10, 10:35 p.m., police arrested Dylan P. Blue, 400 block of Madison Avenue, Peru, on charges of possession o
- RAY MOSCOWITZ: Former educator Jim Price taking flight at Grissom Air Museum Jim Price can be a funny guy in a droll way. Asked whether he had any background in aviation when he became executive director of the Grissom Air Museum, Price responded: “I have flown on an airplane a few times. That is all of the aviation experienc
- More MC Weekly Headlines