The Best Wok Buffet won’t be serving fried rice or General Tso’s chicken anymore.The Chinese restaurant located at 888 W. Main St. permanently closed its doors soon after a tornado tore through Peru last month causing heavy damage to the restaurant’s roof and walls.Peru Building Commissioner Tom Harp said the owner of the building repaired the damage, but the restaurant decided to shut down after the storm. He said the owner is currently looking for a new tenant.“I think the restaurant wasn’t doing as well as they would have liked,” Harp said. “This might have been a good excuse to shut down and move on.”The restaurant’s owner could not be reached for comment.Harp said he wasn’t sure exactly why Best Wok closed, but noted the restaurant was forced to discard all its food after the tornado knocked out power for around 36 hours to large parts of Peru.He said most food vendors salvaged items during the power outage by removing them from their establishments.Best Wok was open for at least three years, Harp said.The tornado also destroyed the drive-in canopy at B&K West restaurant, but owner J.D. Hann said he plans to rebuild and reopen next year. Arby’s is also currently repairing the east side of its building, and plans to reopen soon.Carson Gerber can be reached at 765-854-6739, or at email@example.com.
Chinese restaurant closes doors after building sustained heavy tornado damage.
- MC Weekly
- RAY MOSCOWITZ: No joke: His life changed forever 50 years ago Do you remember the first major turning point in your life? It’s easy for me: April Fool’s Day, 50 years ago yesterday. At 8:54 a.m. on April 1, 1964, I parked my ’62 Chevy Impala in front of the Sears store on East Clinton Street in Frankfort, Ind.,
- Our current MC Weekly issue
- April 2, 2014: Police reports March 24, 1:40 p.m., deputies arrested Cassieopia Rhoads, 19, 200 block of West 6th Street, Peru, on a failure to appear warrant. March 24, 4:40 p.m., police arrested Charmichael Williams Jr., 18, and Lisa M. Hagedorn, 23, both of the 100 block of Ea
- BOWMAN: Grant, Hery back together After a season that saw them go different directions, Justin Grant and Mark Hery have reunited for the 2014 season. In the first event of the season over a month ago at the Bubba Raceway Park in Ocala, Fla., Grant put the Claxton Race Engines/Hery Mo
- RAY MOSCOWITZ: Ole Olsen has been a Peru gem for 50 seasons When the final curtain drops on “Arsenic and Old Lace,” which runs April 24-27 and May 2-4, it will close the 50th season for Ole Olsen Theater, a Peru gem that deserves oodles of kudos. The first-ever curtain went up in March 1965, when Ole present
- Miami County Weekly sports briefs Maconaquah board votes to join TRC BUNKER HILL — The Maconaquah school board voted 5-0 last week in favor of having the Braves join the Three Rivers Conference, beginning in the 2015-16 school year. The Braves join fellow Miami County school Peru in
- March 26, 2014: Police reports March 17, 3:45 p.m., deputies arrested Jordan A. Cook, 23, 70 block of West 5th Street, Peru, on a probation violation warrant. March 17, 7:05 p.m., state police arrested William B. Stoller, 19, Elkhart, on a charge of possession of marijuana. March
- A farming community It was in the 1880s when farming started shifting from old pioneer techniques that relied on hand tools to new-fangled machines like the steel plow, two-row cultivator and thresher. It’s also the time new scientific research recommended a crazy idea
- RAY MOSCOWITZ: Stepfather was inspiration for Peru trailblazer She remembers seeing him in his uniform and listening to the scanner while he was working. She wished she could be with him. That was when she was 2 or 3 years old. He would let her ride with him on Saturday night. A rush of excitement would shoot t
- UPDATE: Peru extends school day PERU — Students at Peru Community Schools will be staying at school longer for the next two weeks after the Peru School Board last week approved a one-hour extension to make up for snow cancellations. The one-hour extension started March 12 and will
- More MC Weekly Headlines