Danny Wayne Gross, 49, Kokomo, passed away Sunday, March 24, 2013, at his home. He was born Oct. 7, 1963, to Sally (Michell) Kelly and Dave Gross. On June 4, 1994, he married Melissa Gail Reagle at the home of Melissa’s parents, Larry and Jackie Scott, in Kokomo.
Danny graduated from Tipton High School in 1983 and went on to serve in the Army National Guard out of Kempton from 1982 to 1989. He then served with the United States Army from 1989 to 1993, during which time he was stationed in Korea from 1991 to 1992. Danny then finished his military career with the National Guard and retired as staff sergeant with 20½ years of service in 2002.
In his civilian life, he worked for Pete’s Excavating from 1986 to 1997 and then Chrysler from November of 1997 until retiring in August 2011.
Danny’s memberships included Local Labor Union 274, UAW Local 685, a lifetime member of VFW 8035, former member of the Military Rites Team, former member and trustee of Westside Baptist Church of Kokomo, former associate member of the Howard County Women’s Democratic Club, and a member of Solid Rock Ministries.
Danny enjoyed spending time with his grandkids and watching his grandson, Anton, at his karate tournaments and playing baseball. Danny was an avid golfer, spending most of his time playing at Chippendale Golf Course, where he had two holes-in-one. He also loved to take Anton with him and teach him the ways of golf. In addition to golf, Danny enjoyed playing softball, basketball and bowling.
At the end of Danny’s days, nothing meant more to him then to have his grandbabies playing and running around the house.
Danny is survived by his wife, Melissa Gross; daughter, Stephanie (Matt) Fewell; son, Patrick Corwin; grandsons Anton Fewell, Orion Dillman and Kristopher Bryan; granddaughters Sarah and Liberty; mother, Sally Kelly and stepfather, Max Kelly; mother-in-law, Jackie Scott; sisters, Davina (Frank) Burns, Kathy Jo Gross, and Renee (Mike) Grimme; brother, Virgil (LouAnn) Gross. Some special people in Danny’s life were his in-laws, Larry and Jackie Scott, Kay (Mamma Kay) and Bill Barclay, Melody (Barclay) and Rob West and their kids, Sadie, Jessie and Sara, Melissa (Barclay) Socher and her kids, and Marilee and Jeff King.
He was preceded in death by his father, Dave Gross, and father-in-law, Larry J Scott.
Funeral services will be at 11 a.m. Friday at Shirley & Stout Funeral Homes & Crematory, Lincoln Road Chapel, 1315 W. Lincoln Road, with Pastor Tony Manis officiating. Military rites will be provided by the U.S. Army and the Kokomo VFW Military Rites Team. Private entombment will take place at a later time in Sunset Memory Garden Mausoleum. Friends may visit with the family from 4 to 8 p.m. Thursday at the funeral home.
Memorial contributions may be made to Shirley & Stout Funeral Home to help the family offset expenses. Messages of condolence may be submitted at shirleyandstout.com.
Oct. 7, 1963 - March 24, 2013
- Linda Carol Justice Linda Carol Justice, 49, Kokomo, passed away at 1:41 a.m. Thursday, Dec. 5, 2013, at Indiana University Hospital in Indianapolis. She was born on Jan. 22, 1964, in Miami, Fla., to Carl and Linda Gail Justice and they both survive. Linda attended Indi
- Funeral listings, Dec. 8, 2013 Coleman, Jerry W., a memorial service is 12:30 p.m. today at House of Prayer, 8125 Rawles Ave., Indianapolis. Bennett, Frederick "Fred" J., memorial services are 1 p.m. today at Sharon Baptist Church, 7012 E. 50 North, Flora. Raikes, Merlyn, services
- Dorothy M. Warnock Dorothy M. Warnock, 90, Kokomo, passed away at 7:45 p.m. Friday, Dec. 6, 2013, at Kindred Health Care. Visitation will be from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. Wednesday at Ellers Mortuary Main Street Chapel, 725 S. Main St. Services will be at 1 p.m. Wednesday als
- Gordon B. Gish Gordon Beck Gish, 87, died peacefully at his home Saturday morning, Nov. 23, 2013, after many years of battling COPD. Born in Los Angeles, Calif., on March 26, 1926, to Dwight Vernon and Louise Beck Gish, he was raised in both Cass and Tipton countie
- Betty J. Bagwell Betty J. Bagwell, 82, Kokomo, passed away at 12:33 p.m., Saturday, Dec. 7, 2013, at her residence. Funeral arrangements are pending with Ellers Mortuary Webster Street Chapel, Kokomo. Betty J. Bagwell
- Elsie Newhouse Elsie Newhouse, 83, Kokomo, passed away at 4:50 a.m. Wednesday, Dec. 4, 2013, at Kindred Transitional Care. She was born March 1, 1930, in Miami, Ind., the daughter of Floyd and Orpha (Fennell) Warner. She married James Gilbert Newhouse on Nov. 9, an
- Roosevelt Swygert Roosevelt Swygert Jr.,76, Kokomo, passed away at 7:45 a.m. Dec. 7, 2013, at Community Howard Regional Health. Arrangements pending with Bluitt & Son Funeral Home. Roosevelt Swygert
- Kenton Ardee Wilson Kenton Ardee Wilson, 61, Bloomington, formerly of Kokomo, passed away on Sunday, Dec. 1, 2013, in Tucson, Ariz., following an 11-month battle with cancer. Born in Kokomo on June 19, 1952, to Bonnie and Ardee Wilson, he was a 1970 graduate of Haworth
- Paulette E. Schoenberger Paulette E. Schoenberger, 62, Kokomo, passed away at 2:07 p.m. Sunday, Dec. 7, 2013, at her residence. Funeral arrangements are pending with Ellers Mortuary Webster Street Chapel, Kokomo. Paulette E. Schoenberger
- Jacqueline 'Jackie' Pierce Jacqueline "Jackie" M. Pierce, 84, Walton, passed away at 9:35 p.m. on Dec. 6, 2013, at Community Howard Regional Hospital. She was born on Oct. 31, 1929, to Elizabeth (Walbrecht) Freeman in Harlan County, Kentucky. On July 7, 1947, she married Earl
- More Obituaries Headlines