Danny Wayne Gross, 49, Kokomo, passed away Sunday, March 24, 2013, at his home. He was born Oct. 7, 1963, to Sally (Michell) Kelly and Dave Gross. On June 4, 1994, he married Melissa Gail Reagle at the home of Melissa’s parents, Larry and Jackie Scott, in Kokomo.
Danny graduated from Tipton High School in 1983 and went on to serve in the Army National Guard out of Kempton from 1982 to 1989. He then served with the United States Army from 1989 to 1993, during which time he was stationed in Korea from 1991 to 1992. Danny then finished his military career with the National Guard and retired as staff sergeant with 20½ years of service in 2002.
In his civilian life, he worked for Pete’s Excavating from 1986 to 1997 and then Chrysler from November of 1997 until retiring in August 2011.
Danny’s memberships included Local Labor Union 274, UAW Local 685, a lifetime member of VFW 8035, former member of the Military Rites Team, former member and trustee of Westside Baptist Church of Kokomo, former associate member of the Howard County Women’s Democratic Club, and a member of Solid Rock Ministries.
Danny enjoyed spending time with his grandkids and watching his grandson, Anton, at his karate tournaments and playing baseball. Danny was an avid golfer, spending most of his time playing at Chippendale Golf Course, where he had two holes-in-one. He also loved to take Anton with him and teach him the ways of golf. In addition to golf, Danny enjoyed playing softball, basketball and bowling.
At the end of Danny’s days, nothing meant more to him then to have his grandbabies playing and running around the house.
Danny is survived by his wife, Melissa Gross; daughter, Stephanie (Matt) Fewell; son, Patrick Corwin; grandsons Anton Fewell, Orion Dillman and Kristopher Bryan; granddaughters Sarah and Liberty; mother, Sally Kelly and stepfather, Max Kelly; mother-in-law, Jackie Scott; sisters, Davina (Frank) Burns, Kathy Jo Gross, and Renee (Mike) Grimme; brother, Virgil (LouAnn) Gross. Some special people in Danny’s life were his in-laws, Larry and Jackie Scott, Kay (Mamma Kay) and Bill Barclay, Melody (Barclay) and Rob West and their kids, Sadie, Jessie and Sara, Melissa (Barclay) Socher and her kids, and Marilee and Jeff King.
He was preceded in death by his father, Dave Gross, and father-in-law, Larry J Scott.
Funeral services will be at 11 a.m. Friday at Shirley & Stout Funeral Homes & Crematory, Lincoln Road Chapel, 1315 W. Lincoln Road, with Pastor Tony Manis officiating. Military rites will be provided by the U.S. Army and the Kokomo VFW Military Rites Team. Private entombment will take place at a later time in Sunset Memory Garden Mausoleum. Friends may visit with the family from 4 to 8 p.m. Thursday at the funeral home.
Memorial contributions may be made to Shirley & Stout Funeral Home to help the family offset expenses. Messages of condolence may be submitted at shirleyandstout.com.
Oct. 7, 1963 - March 24, 2013
- Blanche Alma Amsbury Blanche Alma Amsbury, 97, Tipton, passed away at 7:02 a.m. Thursday, Feb. 13, 2014, at Community Parkview Care Center in Elwood. She was born Aug. 19, 1916, in Tipton County to George and Mary (Clark) Davis. Blanche married Clarence Amsbury Jan. 15,
- Eva N. Gamrath Eva N. Gamrath, 87, passed away at 2:52 p.m. Monday, March 3, 2014, at Community Howard Regional Health. She was born the daughter of Fred and Wilma (Maddock) Erfcamp on April 20, 1926, in Howard County. She married Robert Gamrath in 1975, and he pre
- Lula M. Davis Lula M. Davis, 77, Tipton, died Wednesday, March 5, 2014, at Riverview Hospital in Noblesville. Arrangements are pending at the Porter Funeral Home in Tipton. Lula M. Davis
- John T. 'Dutch' Harner John T. "Dutch" Harner, 94, Bradenton, Fla., and formerly of Kokomo, passed away Tuesday, March 4, 2014, in Bradenton. He was born Aug. 20, 1919, in Shoals, to Frank and Susie M. (Brown) Harner. He served in the United States Army Air Corps during Wo
- Robert 'Bob' E. Huffer Sr. Robert "Bob" E. Huffer Sr., 63, Sharpsville, passed away at 10:55 p.m. Wednesday, March 5, 2014, at Indiana University Health Tipton Hospital, Tipton. He was born Dec. 1, 1950, in Kokomo, to the late Ralph and Polly (Calhoun) Huffer. Bob graduated fr
- Funerals Babb, A. Pauline, services are 10:30 a.m. today at McClain Funeral Home, Denver. Lucas, James "Jim" E. Sr., services are 11 a.m. today at Ellers Mortuary Main Street Chapel, 725 S. Main St. Collins, Lucille I., services are 1 p.m. today at Ellers Mo
- Robert E. Hill Robert E. Hill, 93, Kokomo, died at 4:47 a.m. Thursday, March 6, 2014, at Community Howard Regional Health. Funeral services will be at 10:30 a.m. Monday at Grace United Methodist Church, 219 W. Mulberry St., with Dr. Mark Hill officiating along with
- Katherine S. 'Kitty' Wright Bauer Katherine S. "Kitty" Wright Bauer, 61, Speedway, passed away Tuesday, March 4, 2014. She was born June 10, 1952, in Kokomo, to the late Gordon and Lois Jean (Gross) Wright Jr. Kitty was a graduate of Northwestern High School and Indiana University. K
- Lois J. Augustine Lois J. Augustine, 77, Kokomo, died at 2:30 p.m. Tuesday, March 4, 2014, at her home. She was born Nov. 16, 1936, in Kokomo, the daughter of Raymond Reed and Dorothy M. (Lynas) McClelland. On Aug. 10, 1957, in Kokomo, she married Coleman M. Augustine
- Mary Bonnie Ailor Mary Bonnie Ailor, 95, Kokomo, passed away Saturday, March 1, 2014, at her home. She was born Aug. 10, 1918, in Andersonville, Tenn., to Peter and Malinda (Ford) Melton. On Nov. 27, 1936, she married Milton Ailor, and he preceded her in death Sept. 2
- More Obituaries Headlines