Danny Wayne Gross, 49, Kokomo, passed away Sunday, March 24, 2013, at his home. He was born Oct. 7, 1963, to Sally (Michell) Kelly and Dave Gross. On June 4, 1994, he married Melissa Gail Reagle at the home of Melissa’s parents, Larry and Jackie Scott, in Kokomo.
Danny graduated from Tipton High School in 1983 and went on to serve in the Army National Guard out of Kempton from 1982 to 1989. He then served with the United States Army from 1989 to 1993, during which time he was stationed in Korea from 1991 to 1992. Danny then finished his military career with the National Guard and retired as staff sergeant with 20½ years of service in 2002.
In his civilian life, he worked for Pete’s Excavating from 1986 to 1997 and then Chrysler from November of 1997 until retiring in August 2011.
Danny’s memberships included Local Labor Union 274, UAW Local 685, a lifetime member of VFW 8035, former member of the Military Rites Team, former member and trustee of Westside Baptist Church of Kokomo, former associate member of the Howard County Women’s Democratic Club, and a member of Solid Rock Ministries.
Danny enjoyed spending time with his grandkids and watching his grandson, Anton, at his karate tournaments and playing baseball. Danny was an avid golfer, spending most of his time playing at Chippendale Golf Course, where he had two holes-in-one. He also loved to take Anton with him and teach him the ways of golf. In addition to golf, Danny enjoyed playing softball, basketball and bowling.
At the end of Danny’s days, nothing meant more to him then to have his grandbabies playing and running around the house.
Danny is survived by his wife, Melissa Gross; daughter, Stephanie (Matt) Fewell; son, Patrick Corwin; grandsons Anton Fewell, Orion Dillman and Kristopher Bryan; granddaughters Sarah and Liberty; mother, Sally Kelly and stepfather, Max Kelly; mother-in-law, Jackie Scott; sisters, Davina (Frank) Burns, Kathy Jo Gross, and Renee (Mike) Grimme; brother, Virgil (LouAnn) Gross. Some special people in Danny’s life were his in-laws, Larry and Jackie Scott, Kay (Mamma Kay) and Bill Barclay, Melody (Barclay) and Rob West and their kids, Sadie, Jessie and Sara, Melissa (Barclay) Socher and her kids, and Marilee and Jeff King.
He was preceded in death by his father, Dave Gross, and father-in-law, Larry J Scott.
Funeral services will be at 11 a.m. Friday at Shirley & Stout Funeral Homes & Crematory, Lincoln Road Chapel, 1315 W. Lincoln Road, with Pastor Tony Manis officiating. Military rites will be provided by the U.S. Army and the Kokomo VFW Military Rites Team. Private entombment will take place at a later time in Sunset Memory Garden Mausoleum. Friends may visit with the family from 4 to 8 p.m. Thursday at the funeral home.
Memorial contributions may be made to Shirley & Stout Funeral Home to help the family offset expenses. Messages of condolence may be submitted at shirleyandstout.com.
Oct. 7, 1963 - March 24, 2013
- Gertrude Rogers Gertrude Rogers, 91, Burlington, passed away at 11:34 a.m. Saturday, April 19, 2014, at Community Howard Regional Health. She was born on May 16, 1922, in Poplarville, Ky., to the late Pete and Nancy (Farmer) Jones. She married her childhood sweethea
- John Witt Jr. John Witt Jr., 62, Peru, passed away at 12:30 p.m. Saturday, April 12, 2014, at Dukes Memorial Hospital, Peru. A service celebrating the life of John Witt Jr. will be at 1 p.m. today at the First Assembly of God, 365 Monroe Ave., Peru, with Pastor D
- LaVaun 'Bonnie' Burnette LaVaun "Bonnie" Burnette, 88, Forest, passed away at 8:27 a.m. Monday, April 21, 2014, at the home of her niece. She was born on April 25, 1925, in Clinton County to Ray and Ethel M. (Conner) Smith. On Feb. 9, 1946, Bonnie married Fred Burnette and h
- Elizabeth 'Betty' Lee Elizabeth "Betty" Lee, 54, Kokomo, passed away Monday, April 21, 2014, at Community Howard Regional Health. Arrangements are pending with Sunset Memory Garden Funeral Home. Elizabeth 'Betty' Lee
- Kelly Nicole Maynard Kelly Nicole Maynard, 25, passed away at 3 a.m. Friday, April 18, 2014, at her residence. Viewing will be from 5 to 8 p.m. today at Eikenberry-Eddy Funeral Home, 84 W. Main St., Peru. A Mass of Christian burial will be at 10:30 a.m. Thursday at St.
- Jana Darlene Davis Jana Darlene Davis, 34, died Friday, April 18, 2014, at St. Joseph Hospital. She was born the daughter of Robert Housley and Mary Davis on Oct. 11, 1979, in Kokomo. Jana was a graduate of Maconaquah High School. She enjoyed fishing, crafts, spending
- Funerals Rayl, Beverly Susan "Susie," services are 11 a.m. today at Sunset Memory Garden Funeral Home, 2097 W. Alto Road. DePoy, Ernest Wayne, services are 11 a.m. today at McClain Funeral Home, Denver. Oakes, Steve "Lt. Dan," a graveside service is 11 a.m. t
- Thomas Eugene Brooks Thomas Eugene Brooks, 78, Bringhurst, died at 6:58 p.m. Saturday, April 19, 2014, at IU Health Arnett Hospital, Lafayette. He was born Dec. 29, 1935, in Delphi, to the late Dana and Doris Britton Brooks. His marriage was to Judith Kay Bowman in Delph
- Virginia T. Nelson Virginia T. Nelson, formerly of Kokomo, went to be with the Lord at 5:45 p.m. Saturday, April 19, 2014. She was born in Kokomo on Nov. 25, 1918, the daughter of the Rev. Charles and Zella Thomas. She was married on July 1, 1939, to Verlin E. Nelson,
- Donald E. Newman Donald E. Newman, 78, passed away at 1:30 a.m. Thursday, April 17, 2014, at Community Howard Regional Health in Kokomo. He was born the son of Melvin E. and Letha (Ollenburg) Newman on Oct. 18, 1935, in Milwaukee, Wis. On April 6, 1958, he married hi
- More Obituaries Headlines