May 17, 1943 - April 19, 2013
Joyce Darlene (Smith) Reed, 69, Kokomo, died peacefully Friday, April 19, 2013, at home surrounded by her family and best friend after a long battle with cancer. She was born May 17, 1943, to Virgil and Mildred (Johnson) Smith, who preceded her in death.
Joyce graduated from Eastern High School in 1961. On June 7, 1964, she married Jim, the love of her life, and treasured their 48 years of marriage. She graduated from Purdue University in 1965 with a B.A. in elementary education and with a master’s degree in 1966 in special education. She taught second grade in Benton Co. Schools before she retired to start a family. She also did private tutoring with students for several years.
Joyce was a long-time member of Fairfield Christian Church, where she was the piano and keyboard player for many years.
She is survived by her husband, Jim Reed; daughters, Kathy (Mike) Broyles, Dayton, Ohio, and Lisa Reed, Franklin, Tenn.; grandchildren, Kelsey Hall, Drew Hall and Sage Broyles; and her brother, Jerry Smith.
She loved her cherished husband, her family and church, as well as many friends.
Funeral services will be 10:30 a.m. Wednesday at Shirley & Stout Funeral Home & Crematory, 1315 W. Lincoln Road, Kokomo. Burial will follow in Albright Cemetery. Friends are invited to visit with the family from 4 to 8 p.m. Tuesday at the funeral home.
Memorial contributions may be made to The American Cancer Society or Fairfield Christian Church Memorial Scholarship Fund. Messages of condolence may be left online at www.shirleyandstout.com.
May 17, 1943 - April 19, 2013
- Funerals Bledsoe, McHenry "Mac," services are 10:30 a.m. Monday at Shirley & Stout Funeral Home, 1315 W. Lincoln Road. Rife, Ovid Lorraine "Bud," services are 10:30 a.m. Monday at Kokomo Zion United Methodist Church. Bailey, Anne-Marie, Mass of the Resurrecti
- Carolyn Joyce Daley Carolyn Joyce Daley was born Jan. 18, 1944, and departed this life March 11, 2014, at the age of 70. She was born in Monroe County, Ky., and raised in Forest, Ind. She lived the majority of her adult life in Kokomo. Carolyn graduated from Kokomo High
- Janette Irene Atkisson Janette Irene (Flook) Atkisson departed this life Thursday, March 13, 2014 surrounded by family, love, and light. At 66 years young, Janette was known by many to be a kind, thoughtful woman, generous in spirit, intuitive, and wise beyond her years. A
- Anne Marie (Budenz) Bailey On Wednesday, March 12, 2014, God called Anne Marie (Budenz) Bailey's name and bid her to come unto Him. She fought mightily, courageously, and valiantly against the cancers within her tiny body, and she fought that battle with grace, patience, and f
- Emma E. (Bragg) Kelley Emma E. (Bragg) Kelley, 88, Noblesville, passed away Friday, March 14, 2014, at Allisonville Meadows in Fishers. She was born Dec. 25, 1925, to Roscoe and Vada (Stephenson) Bragg in Sheridan. Services will be held at 3 p.m. Wednesday at Randall & Rob
- McHenry 'Mac' Bledsoe McHenry "Mac" Bledsoe, 86, Kokomo, passed away Wednesday, March 12, 2014, at his residence. He was born May 16, 1927, to Berton and Mary (Robinett) Bledsoe in Scott County, Va. On May 11, 1948, he married Naurene E. Gann, and she survives. McHenry re
- John G. Watson John G. Watson, 94, Ardmore, Ala., and formerly of Kokomo, died Thursday, March 13, 2014, in Ardmore, Tenn. No services are scheduled. Memorials may be made to Ardmore Health and Rehabilitation Center, 25385 Main St., Ardmore, TN 38449. John G. Wa
- Ovid Lorraine 'Bud' Rife Ovid Lorraine 'Bud" Rife entered his heavenly home Tuesday, March 11, 2014. He was born in June 7, 1935 in Chili, to Wilford and Jennie (Weller) Rife. He grew up on his family farm and graduated from Chili High School in 1952. He married his best fri
- Anne Marie (Budenz) Bailey On Wednesday, March 12, 2014, God called Anne Marie (Budenz) Bailey's name and bid her to come unto Him. She fought mightily, courageously, and valiantly against the cancers within her tiny body, and she fought that battle with grace, patience and fa
- Funerals Yohn, Evelyn J. "Grandma Evie," services are 10 a.m. today at Ellers Mortuary Webster Street Chapel, 3400 S. Webster St. Draper, Carlton Haywood, services are 11 a.m. today at Refreshing Springs Church of God In Christ. Davis, Linda J., services are
- More Obituaries Headlines