July 20, 1929 - June 5, 2013
Virginia Lee Snyder, Bluewater Bay, Fla., passed away June 5, 2013, after a long battle with Alzheimer’s. Ginny was born July 20, 1929, the oldest child of Clifford David Hammer, and mother, Nilah Norris Hammer, both of Kokomo.
She was raised in Kokomo and graduated from Kokomo High School in 1947. She attended Indiana University, Go Hoosiers, until she took a modeling job in Indianapolis at a large clothing store, where she modeled for several years. She returned to Kokomo as a Sears management trainee and then went into hotel management.
She met her future husband, James A. Snyder, a young lieutenant stationed at Bunker Hill AFB, in 1955. They were married Dec. 29, 1956, at the base chapel at Bunker Hill AFB. She accompanied him on his many tours in the U.S., Europe and the Far East until they retired in 1976.
Ginny was an active American Red Cross volunteer at many base hospitals starting at Dow AFB, Maine, Hahn AB, Germany (were her son, Lawrence Alan Snyder was born in 1964), Sandia AFB, N.M. and CCK AFB in Taiwan, where she was instrumental in starting the volunteer program at the base hospital, and finally on to Davis Monthan AFB, Ariz., where they retired in 1976. After retirement, they returned to Shalimar, where upon return she became a volunteer with the Hospital Auxiliary at the FWB Medical Center. She accumulated 8,500 hours with the auxiliary and was honored with the first Humanitarian Award, as the volunteer of the year for 1997 and again in 1998.
She was predeceased by her brother, Clifford Lamar Hammer, and sister, Patricia J. Kossack.
She is survived by her brother, Bill, Kokomo; husband, Jack, 56 years; her son, Larry and his wife Roslyn, Bluewater Bay; and her two adored grandchildren, Peyton Marietta and James Alan (Jack) Snyder II.
A memorial service will be at 3 p.m. Tuesday at Heritage Gardens Funeral Home in Niceville, Fla.
In lieu of flowers, a donation to the Alzheimer’s Association at www.alz.org may be made. You may express condolences to the family and sign the guestbook at www.heritagegardensfuneralhome.com. Heritage Gardens Funeral Home of Niceville is entrusted with the arrangements.
July 20, 1929 - June 5, 2013
- Vickie Swing Vickie S. Swing, 63, Kokomo, died April 15, 2014, at her home. She was born Nov. 21, 1950, in Kokomo, the daughter of Robert Boles and Carolyn (Weaver) Mast. Vickie is a 1969 graduate of Kokomo High School. She was a homemaker who enjoyed sewing, cro
- Vicki Lynn (Hight) Campbell Vicki Lynn (Hight) Campbell, 61, Ryland Heights, Ky., passed away Wednesday, April 16, 2014, in Fort Thomas, Ky. She was an ordained minister and loved to sing as well as crochet and do needlework. She also loved to spend time with her children and
- Betty Jean Kaiser Betty Jean Kaiser, 81, Cicero, died Wednesday, April 16, 2014, at Riverview Hospital at Noblesville. She was born April 21, 1932, at Cicero, to Ralph and Mary (Johnson) Mayfield. She attended Jackson Central High School. Betty was a homemaker and gre
- Brian G. Artrip Brian G. Artrip, 42, Kokomo and Lebanon, passed away unexpected early Wednesday, April 16, 2014, at his home in Lebanon. He was born May 30, 1971, in Logansport. He was adopted by Larry E. and Shirley A. (Nolte) Artrip. Brian was attending Ivy Tech S
- Funerals Nickels, Ronald J. "Nick," services are 10:30 a.m. today Shirley & Stout Funeral Home & Crematory, Lincoln Road Chapel, 1315 W. Lincoln Road. Foard, Sister Georgia F., a memorial service is 11 a.m. today in New Hope Full Gospel Church, 501 N. McCan
- William 'Willie' Washam William "Willie" Washam, 84, died at 7:20 p.m. Wednesday, April 16, 2014, in Knoxville, Tenn. Arrangements are pending at Stout & Son Funeral Home, Russiaville. William 'Willie' Washam
- Ronald Lee Galloway Ronald Lee Galloway, 79, Kokomo, passed away at 8:16 a.m. Wednesday, April 16, 2014, at his residence. Born June 1, 1934, in Kokomo, he was the son of the late Frank Gordon and Cora (Rush) Gordon. He was a 1952 graduate of Northwestern High School. O
- Maudie Ellen Sanders Maudie Ellen Sanders, 69, Kokomo, passed away Tuesday, April 15, 2014, at her home. She was born Oct. 5, 1944, in Sullivan County, Kingsport, Tenn., to Bascom Harold and Garnett (Stiltner) Sisk. On Oct. 14, 1964, in Gate City, Va., she married Richar
- Vicky Irene Woodbury Vicky Irene Woodbury, 66, Kokomo, passed away at 1:14 a.m. Tuesday, April 15, 2014, at Community Howard Regional Health. She was born Aug. 4, 1947, in Kokomo to the late Alfred and Mary (Fisher) Johnson. On April 4, 1970, she married James R. Woodbur
- William 'Bill' Moore William "Bill" Moore, 66, Kokomo, died at 8:30 a.m. Tuesday, April 15, 2014, at Community Howard Regional Health. There will be a memorial service scheduled at a later date. Ellers Mortuary Main Street Chapel is assisting the family with arrangements
- More Obituaries Headlines