July 20, 1929 - June 5, 2013
Virginia Lee Snyder, Bluewater Bay, Fla., passed away June 5, 2013, after a long battle with Alzheimer’s. Ginny was born July 20, 1929, the oldest child of Clifford David Hammer, and mother, Nilah Norris Hammer, both of Kokomo.
She was raised in Kokomo and graduated from Kokomo High School in 1947. She attended Indiana University, Go Hoosiers, until she took a modeling job in Indianapolis at a large clothing store, where she modeled for several years. She returned to Kokomo as a Sears management trainee and then went into hotel management.
She met her future husband, James A. Snyder, a young lieutenant stationed at Bunker Hill AFB, in 1955. They were married Dec. 29, 1956, at the base chapel at Bunker Hill AFB. She accompanied him on his many tours in the U.S., Europe and the Far East until they retired in 1976.
Ginny was an active American Red Cross volunteer at many base hospitals starting at Dow AFB, Maine, Hahn AB, Germany (were her son, Lawrence Alan Snyder was born in 1964), Sandia AFB, N.M. and CCK AFB in Taiwan, where she was instrumental in starting the volunteer program at the base hospital, and finally on to Davis Monthan AFB, Ariz., where they retired in 1976. After retirement, they returned to Shalimar, where upon return she became a volunteer with the Hospital Auxiliary at the FWB Medical Center. She accumulated 8,500 hours with the auxiliary and was honored with the first Humanitarian Award, as the volunteer of the year for 1997 and again in 1998.
She was predeceased by her brother, Clifford Lamar Hammer, and sister, Patricia J. Kossack.
She is survived by her brother, Bill, Kokomo; husband, Jack, 56 years; her son, Larry and his wife Roslyn, Bluewater Bay; and her two adored grandchildren, Peyton Marietta and James Alan (Jack) Snyder II.
A memorial service will be at 3 p.m. Tuesday at Heritage Gardens Funeral Home in Niceville, Fla.
In lieu of flowers, a donation to the Alzheimer’s Association at www.alz.org may be made. You may express condolences to the family and sign the guestbook at www.heritagegardensfuneralhome.com. Heritage Gardens Funeral Home of Niceville is entrusted with the arrangements.
July 20, 1929 - June 5, 2013
- Mary Rosalene McElfresh Mary Rosalene McElfresh, 81, Kokomo, died Tuesday, July 22, 2014, at Reflections at Wellington. She was born Dec. 24, 1932, in Kokomo, the daughter of the late Carl and Edna (Walker) Shaffer. She married Wayne R. McElfresh June 22, 1952, at Main Stre
- Funeral listings, July 25, 2014 Taylor, Carroll Ray “C.R.” Bill, services are 11 a.m. today at Murray Weaver Funeral Home, 401 S. California St., Galveston.Barber, Marjorie L., services are 11 a.m. today at Stout & Son Funeral Home Neptune Chapel, 44 Michigan St., Burlington.Hudson
- William A. Wylie William A. Wylie, 81, Tipton, passed away Thursday, July 24, 2014, at IU Tipton Health in Tipton. Visitation is scheduled from 4 to 8 p.m. today at Porter Funeral Home, 726 E. North St., Tipton. Funeral services will be at 10 a.m. Saturday at Porter’
- Mary Edna Jackson Mary Edna Jackson, 78, Russiaville, passed away at her home at 2:05 a.m. Wednesday, July 23, 2014.Funeral services will be at 10:30 a.m. Monday at Stout & Son Funeral Home, 200 E. Main St., Russiaville, with the Rev. Kermit Goings and the Rev. Lehmon
- Reba A. Stout Reba A. Stout, 99, Russiaville, died peacefully at 5:05 p.m. Tuesday, July 22, 2014, at St. Joseph Hospital with her family at her side. She was born July 1, 1915, in Howard County, the daughter of Benjamin and Wilma (Rich) Tucker. On June 19, 1935,
- Viola Bassett Viola Bassett, 93, Kokomo, passed away at 5:54 p.m. Wednesday, July 23 2014, at Community Hospital North, Indianapolis. Arrangements are pending with Bluitt & Son Funeral Home.
- Helen Elnora Long Guynn Helen Elnora Long Guynn, 86, passed away Saturday, July 19, 2014, at her residence. Helen Elnora (Long) Guynn went home to be with the Lord on July 19, 2014. She was born April 1, 1928, in Owensboro, Kentucky, to the late Albert Long and Alice (Clark
- Larry E. Bradley Jr. Larry E. Bradley Jr., 41, Kokomo, died Friday, July 18, 2014, at St. Vincent Heart Center in Indianapolis. He was born the son of Larry E. and Anna L. (Rawls) Bradley in Tipton on April 4, 1973.Larry was the manager of Rackem Billiards. He previously
- Funeral listings, July 24, 2014 Stover, Crystal M., services are 11 a.m. today at Ellers Mortuary Main Street Chapel, 725 S. Main St.Wright, Tyler, services are 11 a.m. today at Stout & Son Funeral Home, 200 E. Main St., Russiaville.Taylor, Carroll Ray “C.R.” Bill, services are 11
- Mary Jackson Mary Jackson, 79, Russiaville, passed away at 2:05 a.m. Wednesday, July 23, 2014, in her home.Arrangements are pending with Stout & Son Funeral Home, Russiaville.
- More Obituaries Headlines