July 20, 1929 - June 5, 2013
Virginia Lee Snyder, Bluewater Bay, Fla., passed away June 5, 2013, after a long battle with Alzheimer’s. Ginny was born July 20, 1929, the oldest child of Clifford David Hammer, and mother, Nilah Norris Hammer, both of Kokomo.
She was raised in Kokomo and graduated from Kokomo High School in 1947. She attended Indiana University, Go Hoosiers, until she took a modeling job in Indianapolis at a large clothing store, where she modeled for several years. She returned to Kokomo as a Sears management trainee and then went into hotel management.
She met her future husband, James A. Snyder, a young lieutenant stationed at Bunker Hill AFB, in 1955. They were married Dec. 29, 1956, at the base chapel at Bunker Hill AFB. She accompanied him on his many tours in the U.S., Europe and the Far East until they retired in 1976.
Ginny was an active American Red Cross volunteer at many base hospitals starting at Dow AFB, Maine, Hahn AB, Germany (were her son, Lawrence Alan Snyder was born in 1964), Sandia AFB, N.M. and CCK AFB in Taiwan, where she was instrumental in starting the volunteer program at the base hospital, and finally on to Davis Monthan AFB, Ariz., where they retired in 1976. After retirement, they returned to Shalimar, where upon return she became a volunteer with the Hospital Auxiliary at the FWB Medical Center. She accumulated 8,500 hours with the auxiliary and was honored with the first Humanitarian Award, as the volunteer of the year for 1997 and again in 1998.
She was predeceased by her brother, Clifford Lamar Hammer, and sister, Patricia J. Kossack.
She is survived by her brother, Bill, Kokomo; husband, Jack, 56 years; her son, Larry and his wife Roslyn, Bluewater Bay; and her two adored grandchildren, Peyton Marietta and James Alan (Jack) Snyder II.
A memorial service will be at 3 p.m. Tuesday at Heritage Gardens Funeral Home in Niceville, Fla.
In lieu of flowers, a donation to the Alzheimer’s Association at www.alz.org may be made. You may express condolences to the family and sign the guestbook at www.heritagegardensfuneralhome.com. Heritage Gardens Funeral Home of Niceville is entrusted with the arrangements.
July 20, 1929 - June 5, 2013
- Charles A. Wilburn Charles A. Wilburn, 83, Kokomo and formerly of Elwood, passed away Friday, July 25, 2014, at Golden Living Sycamore Village in Kokomo, following an extended illness. Charles was born on July 19, 1931, in Elwood, to Harold and Ninez (Cook) Wilburn. On
- Funeral listings, July 30, 2014 Metcalf, John William, services are 10 a.m. today at Peace Lutheran Church, 750 E. Markland Ave.Shultz, Helen M., services are 10:30 a.m. today at Flowers-Leedy Funeral Home, Peru.Hodson, Harold Wayne, services are 11 a.m. today at Ellers Mortuary We
- Deena Lou Crawford Deena Lou Crawford, 72, Kokomo, passed away at 7:55 a.m. Sunday, July 27, 2014, at St. Joseph Hospital. She was born in Kokomo on Aug. 26, 1941, to the late Augustus and Matilda Worthy (Toney).Deena was a 1960 Kokomo High School graduate. She was als
- Marjorie A. Rayl Marjorie A. Rayl, 90, Kokomo, passed away at 9:06 a.m. Tuesday, July 29, 2014, at her residence. She was born Sept. 27, 1923, in Star City, Indiana, to Henry J. Shultz and Louise (Weltzen) Shultz. On Sept. 30, 1945, in Kokomo, she married Robert F. R
- Constance 'Connie' Jean Kelly Constance “Connie” Jean Kelly, 80, Peru, passed away at 9:20 p.m. Monday, July 28, 2014, at St. Joseph Hospital. She was born April 12, 1934, in Miami County, to the late John Comerford and Rose Mary (Mylet) Comerford Jarvis.She was retired from Gene
- Max V. Bitner Max V. Bitner, 84, Kempton, passed away Sunday, July 27, 2014, at his residence.Visitation is scheduled from 4 to 8 p.m. Thursday at Porter Funeral Home, 726 E. North St., Tipton. Funeral services will be at 11 a.m. Friday at Porter’s. Pastor Ed Smit
- Francis 'Tom' Eugene Knox Francis “Tom” Eugene Knox, 84, passed away Saturday, July 26, 2014, at his home. He was born June 21, 1930, in Vera Cruz, Indiana, to Floyd W. and Mildred D. (Gifford) Knox. On Aug. 17, 1974, he married Deloris O. Wheeler in Lafayette, and she preced
- Funeral listings, July 29, 2014 Holmes, Imogene R. (Lett), services are 10 a.m. today at West Street Christian Church, Tipton.Jackson, Linda, services are 1 p.m. today at Stout & Son Funeral Home, 200 E. Main St., Russiaville.Esslinger, Hassie M., services are 1 p.m. today at Shirl
- Cathy J. Spivey Cathy J. Spivey, 66, Panama City, Florida, and formerly of Elwood, passed away Sunday, July 27, 2014, at Miller’s Merry Manor, surrounded by her loving family, following a brief illness.A celebration of life service will be at 7 p.m. Thursday, July 3
- Frances Juanita Bookwalter Frances Juanita Bookwalter, 93, Peru, went home to be with the Lord on Sunday morning, July 27, 2014, at Community Howard Regional Health, Kokomo, with her loving children by her side.Funeral services will be at 2 p.m. Thursday at McClain Funeral Hom
- More Obituaries Headlines