July 20, 1929 - June 5, 2013
Virginia Lee Snyder, Bluewater Bay, Fla., passed away June 5, 2013, after a long battle with Alzheimer’s. Ginny was born July 20, 1929, the oldest child of Clifford David Hammer, and mother, Nilah Norris Hammer, both of Kokomo.
She was raised in Kokomo and graduated from Kokomo High School in 1947. She attended Indiana University, Go Hoosiers, until she took a modeling job in Indianapolis at a large clothing store, where she modeled for several years. She returned to Kokomo as a Sears management trainee and then went into hotel management.
She met her future husband, James A. Snyder, a young lieutenant stationed at Bunker Hill AFB, in 1955. They were married Dec. 29, 1956, at the base chapel at Bunker Hill AFB. She accompanied him on his many tours in the U.S., Europe and the Far East until they retired in 1976.
Ginny was an active American Red Cross volunteer at many base hospitals starting at Dow AFB, Maine, Hahn AB, Germany (were her son, Lawrence Alan Snyder was born in 1964), Sandia AFB, N.M. and CCK AFB in Taiwan, where she was instrumental in starting the volunteer program at the base hospital, and finally on to Davis Monthan AFB, Ariz., where they retired in 1976. After retirement, they returned to Shalimar, where upon return she became a volunteer with the Hospital Auxiliary at the FWB Medical Center. She accumulated 8,500 hours with the auxiliary and was honored with the first Humanitarian Award, as the volunteer of the year for 1997 and again in 1998.
She was predeceased by her brother, Clifford Lamar Hammer, and sister, Patricia J. Kossack.
She is survived by her brother, Bill, Kokomo; husband, Jack, 56 years; her son, Larry and his wife Roslyn, Bluewater Bay; and her two adored grandchildren, Peyton Marietta and James Alan (Jack) Snyder II.
A memorial service will be at 3 p.m. Tuesday at Heritage Gardens Funeral Home in Niceville, Fla.
In lieu of flowers, a donation to the Alzheimer’s Association at www.alz.org may be made. You may express condolences to the family and sign the guestbook at www.heritagegardensfuneralhome.com. Heritage Gardens Funeral Home of Niceville is entrusted with the arrangements.
July 20, 1929 - June 5, 2013
- Dorothy M. Warnock Dorothy M. Warnock, 90, Kokomo, passed away at 7:45 p.m. Friday, Dec. 6, 2013, at Kindred Health Care. Dorothy was born Nov. 14, 1923, in Frankfort, to the late Ward and Mary Etta Dreyer. Her marriage to Donald W. Warnock, who preceded her in death,
- Funerals Curella, Al S., services are 10 a.m. today at Shirley & Stout Funeral Home & Crematory, 1315 W. Lincoln Road. Pierce, Jacqueline "Jackie," services are 10:30 a.m. today at Stout and Son Funeral Home, 200 E. Main St., Russiaville. Laughner, Gary L., s
- Margaret L. 'Marge' Harrison Margaret L. "Marge" Harrison, 97, Kokomo, died at 10:15 a.m. Tuesday, Dec. 10, 2013, at Waterford Place Health Campus. Funeral arrangements are pending at Shirley & Stout Funeral Home & Crematory. Margaret L. 'Marge' Harrison
- Leroy Young Leroy Young, 82, Kokomo, passed away Tuesday, Dec. 10, 2013, at his residence. Arrangements are pending with Bluitt & Son Funeral Home. Leroy Young
- Richard Walter 'Dick' Rhine Richard Walter "Dick" Rhine, 78, Kokomo, died Tuesday morning, Dec. 10, 2013, at his home. Funeral arrangements are pending at Shirley & Stout Funeral Home & Crematory. Richard Walter 'Dick' Rhine
- Josephine Alyce (Mullett) Alexander Josephine Alyce (Mullett) Alexander, Kokomo, went home to the Lord Sunday, Dec. 8, 2013. She was born Jan. 10, 1924, in Nappanee to Levi and Mary (Yoder) Mullett. She graduated in 1942 from Nappanee High School, where she first met the love of her li
- James P. Schurig James P. Schurig, 65, Kokomo, passed away Dec. 9, 2013, at Community Howard Regional Health. He was born Oct. 1, 1948, to Julius and Frances (McCulloch) Schurig in St. Louis, Mo. James met Nilene Thomas in a Christian folk singing group called the Se
- Linda E. Strange Linda E. Strange, 76, Kokomo, passed away at 10:52 p.m. Sunday, Dec. 8, 2013, at St. Joseph Hospital. She was born June 28, 1937, in Kokomo to the late Sherman and Eva (Dicky) Shelby. On June 10, 1954, she married Troy E. Strange. Troy passed away Ma
- Thomas Anthony Ewing Thomas Anthony Ewing, 60, Kokomo, died at 2:40 a.m. Monday, Dec. 9, 2013, at St. Joseph Hospital. Arrangements are pending with Shirley & Stout Funeral Home & Crematory in Kokomo. A full obit will be in Thursday's newspaper. Thomas Anthony Ewing
- Betty Jane Bagwell Betty Jane Bagwell, 82, Kokomo, passed away at 12:33 p.m. Saturday, Dec. 7, 2013, at her daughter's home surrounded by her loving family. She was the last of four siblings for the late Fred and Mary Sacks (Blockson). Betty graduated from Kokomo High
- More Obituaries Headlines