July 20, 1929 - June 5, 2013
Virginia Lee Snyder, Bluewater Bay, Fla., passed away June 5, 2013, after a long battle with Alzheimer’s. Ginny was born July 20, 1929, the oldest child of Clifford David Hammer, and mother, Nilah Norris Hammer, both of Kokomo.
She was raised in Kokomo and graduated from Kokomo High School in 1947. She attended Indiana University, Go Hoosiers, until she took a modeling job in Indianapolis at a large clothing store, where she modeled for several years. She returned to Kokomo as a Sears management trainee and then went into hotel management.
She met her future husband, James A. Snyder, a young lieutenant stationed at Bunker Hill AFB, in 1955. They were married Dec. 29, 1956, at the base chapel at Bunker Hill AFB. She accompanied him on his many tours in the U.S., Europe and the Far East until they retired in 1976.
Ginny was an active American Red Cross volunteer at many base hospitals starting at Dow AFB, Maine, Hahn AB, Germany (were her son, Lawrence Alan Snyder was born in 1964), Sandia AFB, N.M. and CCK AFB in Taiwan, where she was instrumental in starting the volunteer program at the base hospital, and finally on to Davis Monthan AFB, Ariz., where they retired in 1976. After retirement, they returned to Shalimar, where upon return she became a volunteer with the Hospital Auxiliary at the FWB Medical Center. She accumulated 8,500 hours with the auxiliary and was honored with the first Humanitarian Award, as the volunteer of the year for 1997 and again in 1998.
She was predeceased by her brother, Clifford Lamar Hammer, and sister, Patricia J. Kossack.
She is survived by her brother, Bill, Kokomo; husband, Jack, 56 years; her son, Larry and his wife Roslyn, Bluewater Bay; and her two adored grandchildren, Peyton Marietta and James Alan (Jack) Snyder II.
A memorial service will be at 3 p.m. Tuesday at Heritage Gardens Funeral Home in Niceville, Fla.
In lieu of flowers, a donation to the Alzheimer’s Association at www.alz.org may be made. You may express condolences to the family and sign the guestbook at www.heritagegardensfuneralhome.com. Heritage Gardens Funeral Home of Niceville is entrusted with the arrangements.
July 20, 1929 - June 5, 2013
- Funeral listings, Aug. 21, 2014 Miller, Richard Carl, funeral services are 10 a.m. today at Flowers-Leedy Funeral Home, 105 W. Third St., Peru. Helvie, William Lee “Bill,” services are 11 a.m. today at Flora Christian Church.Gibson, Thelma, services are at 1 p.m. today at Shirley &
- Carol Wright Carol Wright, 76, Frankfort, passed away Tuesday, Aug. 19, 2014, at her home. She was born Nov. 8, 1937, in Indianapolis, to David Thornton and Hazel M. Burton Weaver; her mother survives. On Oct. 22, she married Ronald P. Wright, sharing over 60 yea
- Eleanor Martin Eleanor Martin, 82, Russiaville, passed away at 3:42 a.m. Tuesday, Aug. 19, 2014, at Waterford Place Health Campus. She was born the daughter of Warren and Mary (Clark) Quakenbush on April 22, 1932, in Russiaville. On May 31, 1953, she married Eugene
- Marvin Ross Oberholtzer Marvin Ross Oberholtzer, 77, Bradenton, Florida, died Tuesday, Aug. 19, 2014. Born in Clay City, Indiana, he moved to Bradenton in 1991 from Kokomo and was a member of Trailer Estates Covenant Church. He retired from AT&T in Kokomo. He liked bluegras
- Roy Max Brown Roy Max Brown, 75, passed away Tuesday, Aug. 19, 2014. He was born Nov. 22, 1938, to Robert E. and Grace Brown in Miami County.He retired May 31, 1994 from Chrysler Corp. in Kokomo. He moved from the Kokomo area to Lake Palestine in Kosciusko County
- Annie Laurie Douglas Jan. 18, 1922 - Aug. 17, 2014 Annie Laurie Douglas, 92, a former Scircleville resident, died at 7 a.m. Sunday, Aug. 17, 2014, at Miller’s Merry Manor, Warsaw. She was born Jan. 18, 1922, in Beaumont, Kentucky, to Guy L. and Lillian C. (Williams) Knip
- Funeral listings, Aug. 20, 2014 Burns, Jackie Lee, services are 1 p.m. today at Ellers Mortuary Main Street Chapel, 725 S. Main St.Miller, Richard Carl, funeral services are at 10 a.m. Thursday at Flowers-Leedy Funeral Home, 105 W. Third St., Peru.Helvie, William Lee “Bill,” servic
- Eleanor Martin Eleanor Martin, 82, Russiaville, passed away at 3:42 a.m. Tuesday, Aug. 19, 2014, at Waterford Place Health Campus.Funeral services will be at 11 a.m. Saturday at Stout & Son Funeral Home, 200 E. Main St., Russiaville, with Pastor Bill Martin officia
- Thomas 'Tom' R. Faunce July 11, 1935 - Aug. 17, 2014Thomas “Tom” R. Faunce, 79, Kokomo, passed away at 10 a.m. Sunday, Aug. 17, 2014, at his home. He was born July 11, 1935, in Kokomo. His grandparents, William and Goldie Summers, raised him. On Sept. 1, 1956, Tom married
- Bee W. Snow Bee W. Snow, daughter of Clyde and Harriet West (Van Benthuysen), passed away Saturday, Aug. 16, 2014, at the age of 94. She was a resident at The Wellington at Kokomo. She was married to Burnill L. Snow on Dec. 31, 1936, and he preceded her in deat
- More Obituaries Headlines