Aug. 29, 1930 - June 5, 2013
Irma (White) Comp, 82, Kokomo, died at 8:37 p.m. Wednesday, June 5, 2013, at her home. She was born Aug. 29, 1930, in Howard County, the daughter of Mat and Ada (Fulford) White. On Dec. 9, 1951, at the Parsonage of the United Methodist Church in Anderson, she married Ralph Comp, who preceded her in death on Dec. 1, 1991.
Irma was a 1948 graduate of Clay Township High School, where she was salutatorian. She was also a 1951 graduate of Good Samaritan School of Nursing. She was the staff nurse at Delco Electronics, retiring Feb. 1, 1994. She worked 43 years in various fields of nursing, including hospitals, doctor’s offices, schools and industries.
Irma was a member of First Baptist Church and the A.L.A. No. 317. She volunteered at the Kokomo Rescue Mission, enjoyed reading, traveling and spending time with family and friends.
Irma is survived by two sons, Michael (Chris) Comp, Patrick Comp; daughters, Amy Birckmeier, Julie Hale; grandchildren, Angela “Angie” (A.J.) Kahl, April, Chad, Mat, Andrew, Bryce; great-grandchildren, Ashley, Alex, Angel, Kasey, Lucas, Braden, Aiden, and Addison Kahl; sister, Nina Kessler; nephews, Perry (Linda) Trader, Jim (Ellen) Trader, Charles (Nancy) Trader, Donald (Danielle) Trader, Gary White; nieces, Gail Freant, Jayne (John) Engel, Patricia (Michael) Thompson, Laquita Zimmerman, Irma Lou (Morris) Pegg, Konnie (Joe) Streeter, Sandra (Mike) Daily, Kathy (Jim) Vega Pamela Lamberson, Nancy (Dave) Baker, Lee Ann (Kevin) Mast, Jody White, Chris Shoffner.
She was preceded in death by her parents; husband; brothers, Frank, Dennie and Noble; sisters, Mary Spraker, Grace Shrader, Jennie Trader; Ralph’s parents, Ray and Nellie Comp; spouses of siblings and nephew, Fred White.
Memorial services will be held at 1 p.m. Tuesday at First Baptist Church, 310 W. Taylor St., with Pastor Paul Martin officiating. Burial will follow in Greenlawn Cemetery, Greentown. Friends may call at the church from 11 a.m. until service time on Tuesday. Memorial contributions may be made to the charity of the donor’s choice. Shirley & Stout Funeral Homes & Crematory is assisting the family with arrangements. Messages of condolence may be left on line at www.shirleyandatout.com
Aug. 29, 1930 - June 5, 2013
- Blanche Alma Amsbury Blanche Alma Amsbury, 97, Tipton, passed away at 7:02 a.m. Thursday, Feb. 13, 2014, at Community Parkview Care Center in Elwood. She was born Aug. 19, 1916, in Tipton County to George and Mary (Clark) Davis. Blanche married Clarence Amsbury Jan. 15,
- Eva N. Gamrath Eva N. Gamrath, 87, passed away at 2:52 p.m. Monday, March 3, 2014, at Community Howard Regional Health. She was born the daughter of Fred and Wilma (Maddock) Erfcamp on April 20, 1926, in Howard County. She married Robert Gamrath in 1975, and he pre
- Lula M. Davis Lula M. Davis, 77, Tipton, died Wednesday, March 5, 2014, at Riverview Hospital in Noblesville. Arrangements are pending at the Porter Funeral Home in Tipton. Lula M. Davis
- John T. 'Dutch' Harner John T. "Dutch" Harner, 94, Bradenton, Fla., and formerly of Kokomo, passed away Tuesday, March 4, 2014, in Bradenton. He was born Aug. 20, 1919, in Shoals, to Frank and Susie M. (Brown) Harner. He served in the United States Army Air Corps during Wo
- Robert 'Bob' E. Huffer Sr. Robert "Bob" E. Huffer Sr., 63, Sharpsville, passed away at 10:55 p.m. Wednesday, March 5, 2014, at Indiana University Health Tipton Hospital, Tipton. He was born Dec. 1, 1950, in Kokomo, to the late Ralph and Polly (Calhoun) Huffer. Bob graduated fr
- Funerals Babb, A. Pauline, services are 10:30 a.m. today at McClain Funeral Home, Denver. Lucas, James "Jim" E. Sr., services are 11 a.m. today at Ellers Mortuary Main Street Chapel, 725 S. Main St. Collins, Lucille I., services are 1 p.m. today at Ellers Mo
- Robert E. Hill Robert E. Hill, 93, Kokomo, died at 4:47 a.m. Thursday, March 6, 2014, at Community Howard Regional Health. Funeral services will be at 10:30 a.m. Monday at Grace United Methodist Church, 219 W. Mulberry St., with Dr. Mark Hill officiating along with
- Katherine S. 'Kitty' Wright Bauer Katherine S. "Kitty" Wright Bauer, 61, Speedway, passed away Tuesday, March 4, 2014. She was born June 10, 1952, in Kokomo, to the late Gordon and Lois Jean (Gross) Wright Jr. Kitty was a graduate of Northwestern High School and Indiana University. K
- Lois J. Augustine Lois J. Augustine, 77, Kokomo, died at 2:30 p.m. Tuesday, March 4, 2014, at her home. She was born Nov. 16, 1936, in Kokomo, the daughter of Raymond Reed and Dorothy M. (Lynas) McClelland. On Aug. 10, 1957, in Kokomo, she married Coleman M. Augustine
- Mary Bonnie Ailor Mary Bonnie Ailor, 95, Kokomo, passed away Saturday, March 1, 2014, at her home. She was born Aug. 10, 1918, in Andersonville, Tenn., to Peter and Malinda (Ford) Melton. On Nov. 27, 1936, she married Milton Ailor, and he preceded her in death Sept. 2
- More Obituaries Headlines