May 13, 1921 - April 21, 2013
Murl Noel Day, 91, Tipton, died at 9:20 p.m. on Sunday, April 21, 2013, at Miller’s Merry Manor in Tipton. He was a lifetime resident of Tipton, having been born in Tipton on May 13, 1921, to Miles Everett & Edith Ethel (Phifer) Day. On Nov. 16, 1948, he married Henrietta Leona Hellmann and she survives.
Murl retired as the chief mechanic for the Tipton County Highway Department. He also drove bus number 7 for 25 years for Tipton School Corp. He was a member of St. John the Baptist Catholic Church and enjoyed reading and working on lawn mowers. Murl served in the U.S. Army Air Corps as a first lieutenant and flight instructor during World War II.
Survivors besides his wife, Henrietta, include nine children, Helen (Day) Baltic and husband Tony, Fort Collins, Colo., Anita (Day) Carter, Troy, Mich., Mary Ann (Day) Losey and husband David, Sellersburg, Charles Day and wife Theresa, Mineral, Va., the Rev. Martin Day, San Antonio, Texas, Carolyn (Day) Zenoni and husband Robert, Cedarburg, Wis., Margaret (Day) Patterson, West Lafayette, Barbara (Day) Davis and husband Michael, Greenwood, and Dennis Day and wife Valerie, Lorton, Va.
Murl is also survived by one sister-in-law, Ann (Mattingly) Day, Tipton; 23 grandchildren and 35 great-grandchildren. He was preceded in death by two brothers and one sister, Burl Loel Day, Aubrey Clayton Day and Mary Ellen Altherr.
A funeral Mass will be at 10 a.m. on Thursday at St. John the Baptist Catholic Church, with the Rev. Leroy Kinnaman presiding. Burial will follow in St. John’s Cemetery with military honors. Visitation will be from 4 to 8 p.m. Wednesday at Young-Nichols Funeral Home, with a wake service at 7 p.m.
Memorial contributions may be made to St. John the Baptist Catholic Church, 340 Mill St., Tipton, IN 46072 or the Tipton County Public Library, 127 E. Madison St., Tipton, IN 46072.
May 13, 1921 - April 21, 2013
- Charles A. Wilburn Charles A. Wilburn, 83, Kokomo and formerly of Elwood, passed away Friday, July 25, 2014, at Golden Living Sycamore Village in Kokomo, following an extended illness. Charles was born on July 19, 1931, in Elwood, to Harold and Ninez (Cook) Wilburn. On
- Funeral listings, July 30, 2014 Metcalf, John William, services are 10 a.m. today at Peace Lutheran Church, 750 E. Markland Ave.Shultz, Helen M., services are 10:30 a.m. today at Flowers-Leedy Funeral Home, Peru.Hodson, Harold Wayne, services are 11 a.m. today at Ellers Mortuary We
- Deena Lou Crawford Deena Lou Crawford, 72, Kokomo, passed away at 7:55 a.m. Sunday, July 27, 2014, at St. Joseph Hospital. She was born in Kokomo on Aug. 26, 1941, to the late Augustus and Matilda Worthy (Toney).Deena was a 1960 Kokomo High School graduate. She was als
- Marjorie A. Rayl Marjorie A. Rayl, 90, Kokomo, passed away at 9:06 a.m. Tuesday, July 29, 2014, at her residence. She was born Sept. 27, 1923, in Star City, Indiana, to Henry J. Shultz and Louise (Weltzen) Shultz. On Sept. 30, 1945, in Kokomo, she married Robert F. R
- Constance 'Connie' Jean Kelly Constance “Connie” Jean Kelly, 80, Peru, passed away at 9:20 p.m. Monday, July 28, 2014, at St. Joseph Hospital. She was born April 12, 1934, in Miami County, to the late John Comerford and Rose Mary (Mylet) Comerford Jarvis.She was retired from Gene
- Max V. Bitner Max V. Bitner, 84, Kempton, passed away Sunday, July 27, 2014, at his residence.Visitation is scheduled from 4 to 8 p.m. Thursday at Porter Funeral Home, 726 E. North St., Tipton. Funeral services will be at 11 a.m. Friday at Porter’s. Pastor Ed Smit
- Francis 'Tom' Eugene Knox Francis “Tom” Eugene Knox, 84, passed away Saturday, July 26, 2014, at his home. He was born June 21, 1930, in Vera Cruz, Indiana, to Floyd W. and Mildred D. (Gifford) Knox. On Aug. 17, 1974, he married Deloris O. Wheeler in Lafayette, and she preced
- Funeral listings, July 29, 2014 Holmes, Imogene R. (Lett), services are 10 a.m. today at West Street Christian Church, Tipton.Jackson, Linda, services are 1 p.m. today at Stout & Son Funeral Home, 200 E. Main St., Russiaville.Esslinger, Hassie M., services are 1 p.m. today at Shirl
- Cathy J. Spivey Cathy J. Spivey, 66, Panama City, Florida, and formerly of Elwood, passed away Sunday, July 27, 2014, at Miller’s Merry Manor, surrounded by her loving family, following a brief illness.A celebration of life service will be at 7 p.m. Thursday, July 3
- Frances Juanita Bookwalter Frances Juanita Bookwalter, 93, Peru, went home to be with the Lord on Sunday morning, July 27, 2014, at Community Howard Regional Health, Kokomo, with her loving children by her side.Funeral services will be at 2 p.m. Thursday at McClain Funeral Hom
- More Obituaries Headlines