May 13, 1921 - April 21, 2013
Murl Noel Day, 91, Tipton, died at 9:20 p.m. on Sunday, April 21, 2013, at Miller’s Merry Manor in Tipton. He was a lifetime resident of Tipton, having been born in Tipton on May 13, 1921, to Miles Everett & Edith Ethel (Phifer) Day. On Nov. 16, 1948, he married Henrietta Leona Hellmann and she survives.
Murl retired as the chief mechanic for the Tipton County Highway Department. He also drove bus number 7 for 25 years for Tipton School Corp. He was a member of St. John the Baptist Catholic Church and enjoyed reading and working on lawn mowers. Murl served in the U.S. Army Air Corps as a first lieutenant and flight instructor during World War II.
Survivors besides his wife, Henrietta, include nine children, Helen (Day) Baltic and husband Tony, Fort Collins, Colo., Anita (Day) Carter, Troy, Mich., Mary Ann (Day) Losey and husband David, Sellersburg, Charles Day and wife Theresa, Mineral, Va., the Rev. Martin Day, San Antonio, Texas, Carolyn (Day) Zenoni and husband Robert, Cedarburg, Wis., Margaret (Day) Patterson, West Lafayette, Barbara (Day) Davis and husband Michael, Greenwood, and Dennis Day and wife Valerie, Lorton, Va.
Murl is also survived by one sister-in-law, Ann (Mattingly) Day, Tipton; 23 grandchildren and 35 great-grandchildren. He was preceded in death by two brothers and one sister, Burl Loel Day, Aubrey Clayton Day and Mary Ellen Altherr.
A funeral Mass will be at 10 a.m. on Thursday at St. John the Baptist Catholic Church, with the Rev. Leroy Kinnaman presiding. Burial will follow in St. John’s Cemetery with military honors. Visitation will be from 4 to 8 p.m. Wednesday at Young-Nichols Funeral Home, with a wake service at 7 p.m.
Memorial contributions may be made to St. John the Baptist Catholic Church, 340 Mill St., Tipton, IN 46072 or the Tipton County Public Library, 127 E. Madison St., Tipton, IN 46072.
May 13, 1921 - April 21, 2013
- Linda Carol Justice Linda Carol Justice, 49, Kokomo, passed away at 1:41 a.m. Thursday, Dec. 5, 2013, at Indiana University Hospital in Indianapolis. She was born on Jan. 22, 1964, in Miami, Fla., to Carl and Linda Gail Justice and they both survive. Linda attended Indi
- Funeral listings, Dec. 8, 2013 Coleman, Jerry W., a memorial service is 12:30 p.m. today at House of Prayer, 8125 Rawles Ave., Indianapolis. Bennett, Frederick "Fred" J., memorial services are 1 p.m. today at Sharon Baptist Church, 7012 E. 50 North, Flora. Raikes, Merlyn, services
- Dorothy M. Warnock Dorothy M. Warnock, 90, Kokomo, passed away at 7:45 p.m. Friday, Dec. 6, 2013, at Kindred Health Care. Visitation will be from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. Wednesday at Ellers Mortuary Main Street Chapel, 725 S. Main St. Services will be at 1 p.m. Wednesday als
- Gordon B. Gish Gordon Beck Gish, 87, died peacefully at his home Saturday morning, Nov. 23, 2013, after many years of battling COPD. Born in Los Angeles, Calif., on March 26, 1926, to Dwight Vernon and Louise Beck Gish, he was raised in both Cass and Tipton countie
- Betty J. Bagwell Betty J. Bagwell, 82, Kokomo, passed away at 12:33 p.m., Saturday, Dec. 7, 2013, at her residence. Funeral arrangements are pending with Ellers Mortuary Webster Street Chapel, Kokomo. Betty J. Bagwell
- Elsie Newhouse Elsie Newhouse, 83, Kokomo, passed away at 4:50 a.m. Wednesday, Dec. 4, 2013, at Kindred Transitional Care. She was born March 1, 1930, in Miami, Ind., the daughter of Floyd and Orpha (Fennell) Warner. She married James Gilbert Newhouse on Nov. 9, an
- Roosevelt Swygert Roosevelt Swygert Jr.,76, Kokomo, passed away at 7:45 a.m. Dec. 7, 2013, at Community Howard Regional Health. Arrangements pending with Bluitt & Son Funeral Home. Roosevelt Swygert
- Kenton Ardee Wilson Kenton Ardee Wilson, 61, Bloomington, formerly of Kokomo, passed away on Sunday, Dec. 1, 2013, in Tucson, Ariz., following an 11-month battle with cancer. Born in Kokomo on June 19, 1952, to Bonnie and Ardee Wilson, he was a 1970 graduate of Haworth
- Paulette E. Schoenberger Paulette E. Schoenberger, 62, Kokomo, passed away at 2:07 p.m. Sunday, Dec. 7, 2013, at her residence. Funeral arrangements are pending with Ellers Mortuary Webster Street Chapel, Kokomo. Paulette E. Schoenberger
- Jacqueline 'Jackie' Pierce Jacqueline "Jackie" M. Pierce, 84, Walton, passed away at 9:35 p.m. on Dec. 6, 2013, at Community Howard Regional Hospital. She was born on Oct. 31, 1929, to Elizabeth (Walbrecht) Freeman in Harlan County, Kentucky. On July 7, 1947, she married Earl
- More Obituaries Headlines