May 13, 1921 - April 21, 2013
Murl Noel Day, 91, Tipton, died at 9:20 p.m. on Sunday, April 21, 2013, at Miller’s Merry Manor in Tipton. He was a lifetime resident of Tipton, having been born in Tipton on May 13, 1921, to Miles Everett & Edith Ethel (Phifer) Day. On Nov. 16, 1948, he married Henrietta Leona Hellmann and she survives.
Murl retired as the chief mechanic for the Tipton County Highway Department. He also drove bus number 7 for 25 years for Tipton School Corp. He was a member of St. John the Baptist Catholic Church and enjoyed reading and working on lawn mowers. Murl served in the U.S. Army Air Corps as a first lieutenant and flight instructor during World War II.
Survivors besides his wife, Henrietta, include nine children, Helen (Day) Baltic and husband Tony, Fort Collins, Colo., Anita (Day) Carter, Troy, Mich., Mary Ann (Day) Losey and husband David, Sellersburg, Charles Day and wife Theresa, Mineral, Va., the Rev. Martin Day, San Antonio, Texas, Carolyn (Day) Zenoni and husband Robert, Cedarburg, Wis., Margaret (Day) Patterson, West Lafayette, Barbara (Day) Davis and husband Michael, Greenwood, and Dennis Day and wife Valerie, Lorton, Va.
Murl is also survived by one sister-in-law, Ann (Mattingly) Day, Tipton; 23 grandchildren and 35 great-grandchildren. He was preceded in death by two brothers and one sister, Burl Loel Day, Aubrey Clayton Day and Mary Ellen Altherr.
A funeral Mass will be at 10 a.m. on Thursday at St. John the Baptist Catholic Church, with the Rev. Leroy Kinnaman presiding. Burial will follow in St. John’s Cemetery with military honors. Visitation will be from 4 to 8 p.m. Wednesday at Young-Nichols Funeral Home, with a wake service at 7 p.m.
Memorial contributions may be made to St. John the Baptist Catholic Church, 340 Mill St., Tipton, IN 46072 or the Tipton County Public Library, 127 E. Madison St., Tipton, IN 46072.
May 13, 1921 - April 21, 2013
- Shirley A. Water Shirley A. Water, 68, Kokomo, died at 2:15 a.m. Friday, March7, 2014, at Community North Hospital. Arrangements are pending with Stout & Son Funeral Home. Shirley A. Water
- Robert E. Hill Robert E. Hill, 93, Kokomo, died at 4:47 a.m. Thursday, March 6, 2014, at Community Howard Regional Health. He was born April 20, 1920, near Greentown. His parents were Raymond Issac and Susie G. (Synder) Hill, both deceased. He and June E. Brown w
- Herbert Ford Herbert Ford, 73, Walton, died Thursday, March 6, 2014, in Cass County due to injuries sustained in an automobile accident. Per Herbert's wishes, there will be no services. Hartzler-Clapper Funeral Home of Brookston is entrusted with care. Share mem
- Lula M. Davis Lula M. Davis, 77, Tipton, died Wednesday, March 5, 2014, at Riverview Hospital, Noblesville. Visitation is scheduled from 10 a.m. to 1 p.m. Saturday at the Porter Funeral Home, 726 E. North St., Tipton. Funeral services will be at 1 p.m. the same da
- Mary Louise Newby Mary Louise Newby, 85, died at 5:56 p.m. Thursday, March 6, 2014, at North Woods Village. Funeral services will be at 10 a.m. Tuesday, March 11, 2014, at New London Friends Church, 2104 S. 766 West, Russiaville. Burial will follow at New London Ceme
- Gary Allen Price Gary Allen Price, 44, Kokomo, died at 4:34 p.m. Wednesday, March 5, 2014, at St. Joseph Hospital, surrounded by those who loved him dearly. Visitation will be from 4 to 8 p.m. Monday at Ellers Mortuary Webster Street Chapel, 3400 S. Webster St. Servi
- Jerolyn R. Blessing Jerolyn R. Blessing, 80, Kokomo, died Friday, March 7, 2014, at Community Howard Regional Health. Arrangements are pending with Sunset Memory Garden Funeral Home. Jerolyn R. Blessing
- Funerals Rogers, Stephen P. II, a celebration of life is 11 a.m. today at Paw Paw United Methodist Church, 7712 N. Paw Paw Pike, Denver. Amsbury, Blanche Alma, services are noon today at Leatherman-Morris-Boyer Funeral Home, 314 N. Main St., Tipton. Bauer, Ka
- Blanche Alma Amsbury Blanche Alma Amsbury, 97, Tipton, passed away at 7:02 a.m. Thursday, Feb. 13, 2014, at Community Parkview Care Center in Elwood. She was born Aug. 19, 1916, in Tipton County to George and Mary (Clark) Davis. Blanche married Clarence Amsbury Jan. 15,
- Eva N. Gamrath Eva N. Gamrath, 87, passed away at 2:52 p.m. Monday, March 3, 2014, at Community Howard Regional Health. She was born the daughter of Fred and Wilma (Maddock) Erfcamp on April 20, 1926, in Howard County. She married Robert Gamrath in 1975, and he pre
- More Obituaries Headlines