Sept. 2, 1919 - April 27, 2013
Leslie E. Colter, 93, Kokomo, passed away at 2:35 p.m. Saturday, April 27, 2013, at his residence. He was born Sept. 2, 1919, in Miami County to Grover C. Colter and Pearl A. (Moore) Colter. On Nov. 24, 1939, in Kokomo, he married Mary H. Snow. She preceded him in death on June 8, 2006.
He was a veteran of the United States Army during World War II and the Korean War. He retired from the U.S. Postal Service in 1980 and was active in his family construction business, Brother’s Construction, for many years. He attended First Church of the Nazarene.
Les finally got the call he had been waiting on so long. He died peacefully in his granddaughter’s home where he had lived since his wife’s death. He was a man of great wisdom despite only attending Kokomo High School until the 10th grade. He was patient, merciful, generous and kind. Of all his attributes, his greatest strength was loyalty, dependability and provision for his family. Over the last several years as his health failed, his theme song was “Have Thine Own Way, Lord,” and as he died, these were some of his final words to his family.
He was a builder, gardener and a whiz with numbers, having incredible recall and arithmetic skill. He loved to play cards with his friends, was an avid walker, and enjoyed lying in the sun no matter where it was shining. Through the deaths of two children and his wife of 66 years, he did not crumble. He remained strong and faithful to God and his family. He’ll have a healthy body free of illness and a mansion that needs no repair. A forever home safe in the arms of Jesus surrounded by loved ones, waiting for the rest of us to arrive.
Survivors include his daughter, Connie Martin, Kokomo; two brothers, James and wife Maxine Colter, and Junior Leroy and wife Roberta Colter, all of Kokomo; sister-in-law, Charlotte Colter, Kokomo; grandchildren, Lisa and husband Eric Owens, Leslie Luckey and companion Brian West, all of Kokomo, Lori and husband Jim Edwards, Indianapolis, and Mark and wife Lindsay Pullen, Logansport; great-grandchildren, Kari and husband Jeremy Lennon, Lafayette, Devan Luckey, Galveston, and Mia Owens, Kokomo; great-great-grandchildren, Cayson Wohlend, Taylor Lennon, and Jadelyn Lennon. He was also survived by several nieces and nephews.
He was preceded in death by two daughters, Linda Colter, and Barbara Hunter; four brothers, Carroll, Carmen, Richard, and Lewis Colter, and a sister, Doris Bogue.
Services will be at 7 p.m. Wednesday at Ellers Mortuary Main Street Chapel, 725 S. Main St., with Pastors Steve Colter and Roger Loomis officiating. A private entombment will take place in Sunset Memory Gardens Cemetery at a later time. Friends may visit with the family from 4 to 7 p.m. Wednesday, three hours prior to the service at the mortuary.
Memorial contributions may be directed to the American Diabetes Association. You are invited to read Les’ obituary at www.ellersmortuary.com, where you may sign the guest book, share a personal message, or order flowers for the family.
Sept. 2, 1919 - April 27, 2013
- Dorothy M. Warnock Dorothy M. Warnock, 90, Kokomo, passed away at 7:45 p.m. Friday, Dec. 6, 2013, at Kindred Health Care. Dorothy was born Nov. 14, 1923, in Frankfort, to the late Ward and Mary Etta Dreyer. Her marriage to Donald W. Warnock, who preceded her in death,
- Funerals Curella, Al S., services are 10 a.m. today at Shirley & Stout Funeral Home & Crematory, 1315 W. Lincoln Road. Pierce, Jacqueline "Jackie," services are 10:30 a.m. today at Stout and Son Funeral Home, 200 E. Main St., Russiaville. Laughner, Gary L., s
- Margaret L. 'Marge' Harrison Margaret L. "Marge" Harrison, 97, Kokomo, died at 10:15 a.m. Tuesday, Dec. 10, 2013, at Waterford Place Health Campus. Funeral arrangements are pending at Shirley & Stout Funeral Home & Crematory. Margaret L. 'Marge' Harrison
- Leroy Young Leroy Young, 82, Kokomo, passed away Tuesday, Dec. 10, 2013, at his residence. Arrangements are pending with Bluitt & Son Funeral Home. Leroy Young
- Richard Walter 'Dick' Rhine Richard Walter "Dick" Rhine, 78, Kokomo, died Tuesday morning, Dec. 10, 2013, at his home. Funeral arrangements are pending at Shirley & Stout Funeral Home & Crematory. Richard Walter 'Dick' Rhine
- Josephine Alyce (Mullett) Alexander Josephine Alyce (Mullett) Alexander, Kokomo, went home to the Lord Sunday, Dec. 8, 2013. She was born Jan. 10, 1924, in Nappanee to Levi and Mary (Yoder) Mullett. She graduated in 1942 from Nappanee High School, where she first met the love of her li
- James P. Schurig James P. Schurig, 65, Kokomo, passed away Dec. 9, 2013, at Community Howard Regional Health. He was born Oct. 1, 1948, to Julius and Frances (McCulloch) Schurig in St. Louis, Mo. James met Nilene Thomas in a Christian folk singing group called the Se
- Linda E. Strange Linda E. Strange, 76, Kokomo, passed away at 10:52 p.m. Sunday, Dec. 8, 2013, at St. Joseph Hospital. She was born June 28, 1937, in Kokomo to the late Sherman and Eva (Dicky) Shelby. On June 10, 1954, she married Troy E. Strange. Troy passed away Ma
- Thomas Anthony Ewing Thomas Anthony Ewing, 60, Kokomo, died at 2:40 a.m. Monday, Dec. 9, 2013, at St. Joseph Hospital. Arrangements are pending with Shirley & Stout Funeral Home & Crematory in Kokomo. A full obit will be in Thursday's newspaper. Thomas Anthony Ewing
- Betty Jane Bagwell Betty Jane Bagwell, 82, Kokomo, passed away at 12:33 p.m. Saturday, Dec. 7, 2013, at her daughter's home surrounded by her loving family. She was the last of four siblings for the late Fred and Mary Sacks (Blockson). Betty graduated from Kokomo High
- More Obituaries Headlines