Sept. 2, 1919 - April 27, 2013
Leslie E. Colter, 93, Kokomo, passed away at 2:35 p.m. Saturday, April 27, 2013, at his residence. He was born Sept. 2, 1919, in Miami County to Grover C. Colter and Pearl A. (Moore) Colter. On Nov. 24, 1939, in Kokomo, he married Mary H. Snow. She preceded him in death on June 8, 2006.
He was a veteran of the United States Army during World War II and the Korean War. He retired from the U.S. Postal Service in 1980 and was active in his family construction business, Brother’s Construction, for many years. He attended First Church of the Nazarene.
Les finally got the call he had been waiting on so long. He died peacefully in his granddaughter’s home where he had lived since his wife’s death. He was a man of great wisdom despite only attending Kokomo High School until the 10th grade. He was patient, merciful, generous and kind. Of all his attributes, his greatest strength was loyalty, dependability and provision for his family. Over the last several years as his health failed, his theme song was “Have Thine Own Way, Lord,” and as he died, these were some of his final words to his family.
He was a builder, gardener and a whiz with numbers, having incredible recall and arithmetic skill. He loved to play cards with his friends, was an avid walker, and enjoyed lying in the sun no matter where it was shining. Through the deaths of two children and his wife of 66 years, he did not crumble. He remained strong and faithful to God and his family. He’ll have a healthy body free of illness and a mansion that needs no repair. A forever home safe in the arms of Jesus surrounded by loved ones, waiting for the rest of us to arrive.
Survivors include his daughter, Connie Martin, Kokomo; two brothers, James and wife Maxine Colter, and Junior Leroy and wife Roberta Colter, all of Kokomo; sister-in-law, Charlotte Colter, Kokomo; grandchildren, Lisa and husband Eric Owens, Leslie Luckey and companion Brian West, all of Kokomo, Lori and husband Jim Edwards, Indianapolis, and Mark and wife Lindsay Pullen, Logansport; great-grandchildren, Kari and husband Jeremy Lennon, Lafayette, Devan Luckey, Galveston, and Mia Owens, Kokomo; great-great-grandchildren, Cayson Wohlend, Taylor Lennon, and Jadelyn Lennon. He was also survived by several nieces and nephews.
He was preceded in death by two daughters, Linda Colter, and Barbara Hunter; four brothers, Carroll, Carmen, Richard, and Lewis Colter, and a sister, Doris Bogue.
Services will be at 7 p.m. Wednesday at Ellers Mortuary Main Street Chapel, 725 S. Main St., with Pastors Steve Colter and Roger Loomis officiating. A private entombment will take place in Sunset Memory Gardens Cemetery at a later time. Friends may visit with the family from 4 to 7 p.m. Wednesday, three hours prior to the service at the mortuary.
Memorial contributions may be directed to the American Diabetes Association. You are invited to read Les’ obituary at www.ellersmortuary.com, where you may sign the guest book, share a personal message, or order flowers for the family.
Sept. 2, 1919 - April 27, 2013
- Theresa A. Young Theresa A. Young, 52, Kokomo, died Friday, April 18 2014. Bluitt & Son Funeral Home is handling the arrangements. Theresa A. Young
- Funerals, April 20, 2014 Kinsey, Roy Leslie, services are 10 a.m. Tuesday at Zion Lutheran Church, 173 Hale Drive, Wabash. Duncan, Nora Ethel, services are 10 a.m. Tuesday at Ellers Mortuary Webster Street Chapel, 3400 S. Webster St. Rayl, Beverly Susan "Susie", services are
- Beverly Susann 'Susie' Rayl Beverly Susann "Susie" Rayl, 84, passed away Thursday, April 17, 2014, at Waterford Place. She was born July 10, 1929, in Howard County to Russell Lowell and Vera Deloras (McCarty) Fisher. She graduated from Kokomo High School in 1947. She married Ge
- Bal Raj Nijhawan Dr. Bal Raj Nijhawan, 98, Sun City Center, Fla., formerly of Kokomo, entered into rest Sunday, April 6, 2014, following a brief illness, with his family present. He was born in Lyallpur, India, to Lala Sukh Diyal and Rajwanti (Kochar) Nijhawan. He ma
- James R. Lutz James R. Lutz, 72, Kokomo, passed away at 5:10 p.m. Friday, April 18, 2014, at his home after a courageous battle with cancer. Jim was born Sept. 8, 1941, in Elizabethtown, Ky., to John and Stella (Cartwright) Lutz. In 1961, he married Shirley L. (Mi
- Reta Gail Moore Reta Gail Moore, 63, died Thursday, April 17, 2014, at St. Vincent Hospital in Indianapolis. Memorial services will be at 11 a.m. Thursday at Lutheran Church of Our Redeemer, 705 Southway Blvd. E., with Pastor Bill Allison officiating. Burial will f
- Nora 'Ethel' Duncan Nora "Ethel" Duncan, 87, Kokomo, passed away at 9 a.m. Monday, April 14, 2014, at Waterford Health Campus, Kokomo. Born Oct. 3, 1926, in New Castle, she was the daughter of the late Walter Thomas Reavis and Hattie Ethel (West) Reavis. On June 20, 195
- William G. 'Willie' Washam William G. "Willie" Washam, 84, passed away at 7:20 p.m. Wednesday, April 16, 2014, in Knoxville, Tenn. He was born Aug. 17, 1929, in Union County, Tenn., to Harvey Logan and Ina Esther (Dukes) Washam. On April 3, 1952, Willie married Tressie Lou Wol
- Donald E. Newman Donald E. Newman, 78, died at 1:30 a.m. Thursday, April 17, 2014, at Community Howard Regional Health in Kokomo. Memorial services will be at 10 a.m. Saturday at Shirley & Stout Funeral Home & Crematory, 1315 W. Lincoln Road, with Pastor Sharon Walk
- Teresa Ann (Reeves) Hannibal Teresa Ann (Reeves) Hannibal, 67, Kokomo, died at 2:40 p.m. Friday, April 18, 2014, in her home. Funeral arrangements are pending with Ellers Mortuary Webster Street Chapel with a full obituary to follow. Teresa Ann (Reeves) Hannibal
- More Obituaries Headlines