June 30, 1929 - April 18, 2013
Mary Jo Gordon, 83, of Waterford Place Health Campus, Kokomo, went to be with our Lord on April 18, 2013.
She was born June 30, 1929, at the home of a relative in Cass County, the youngest child and only daughter of Earl Ray and Bernice Pearl (McKinney) McKnight. Mary Jo grew up in Galveston and graduated from Galveston High School. She later studied at Indiana University of Kokomo at the Seiberling Mansion campus.
She worked at Stellite (now Haynes) and Delco Radio (now GMCH), where she met her future husband. On July 7, 1950, she married Lewis Chester (Chet) Gordon, who preceded her in death on April 21, 2003.
Mary Jo left Delco to become a full-time wife and stay-at-home mother, where she devoted herself to her family, her home, her flower beds, and her artistic pursuits. A self-taught artist, Mary Jo produced many watercolors, pen-and-ink sketches, and crafts of all kinds, finally specializing in needlework and fabric arts. She made award-winning quilts, clothing and decorative items for friends and family, as well as many commissioned works, and projects sold
at several bazaars.
She is survived by her son, Stephen L. Gordon and his wife, Theresa, of Kokomo; her daughter, Janice D. Fant and her husband Kevin, Indianapolis; granddaughter and grandson-in-law, Holly and Joe Barszcz, Brownsburg; step-grandsons Joel, Barry and Nick Fant, Indianapolis; great-grandson, Carter Barszcz, Brownsburg; and step great-grandson, Noah Fant, Indianapolis. Several nieces and nephew also survive.
Mary Jo was preceded in death by her parents, husband, and her three brothers, Ernest, Herbert (Buck), and James McKnight.
Funeral services will be held at the Murray Weaver Funeral Home in Galveston, 401 S. California St., on Monday at 10 a.m. with the Rev. Roy E. Ice officiating. Burial will follow at Galveston Cemetery. Friends may call at the funeral home on Sunday from 2 to 6 p.m.
Memorial contributions may be made to the Galveston United Methodist Church, 515 S. Maple St. Galveston, IN 46932, or the Alzheimer’s Association, Greater Indiana Chapter, 50 E. 91st St., Suite 100, Indianapolis, IN 46240.
Online condolences may be sent to the family at www.murrayweaverfuneralhome.com
June 30, 1929 - April 18, 2013
- Lois 'Jean' Winslow Lois "Jean" Winslow, 91, Kokomo, passed peacefully from Earth to heaven at 4:50 p.m. Tuesday, April 22, 2014, at Heritage Pointe, Warren, surrounded by her husband, children and granddaughter, Andrea. She was born Sept. 30, 1922, in Kokomo, to Charle
- Funerals Moore, Reta Gail, services are 11 a.m. today at Lutheran Church of Our Redeemer, 705 Southway Boulevard E. Brooks, Thomas Eugene, services are 1 p.m. today at Baker-Abbott Funeral Home, Flora. Monize, Alfred N., services are 1 p.m. today at Hasler &
- Theresa Ann Young Theresa Ann Young, 53, Kokomo, passed away Friday, April 18, 2014, in the emergency room at St. Joseph Hospital. She was born Sept. 18, 1961, in Lima, Ohio, the daughter of Fred Young Jr. and Ruthie Lee Johnson. Theresa was a homemaker and a member o
- Barbara Ellen Eades Barbara Ellen Eades, 81, Greentown, passed away Tuesday, April 22, 2014, at St. Joseph Hospital. She was born July 16, 1932, in Kokomo, to Edgar and Hester (Dillman) Campbell. On Jan. 1, 1955, she married John W. Eades, Sr., and he survives. She had
- R. Kent Floyd R. Kent Floyd, 71, Anderson, passed away Tuesday, April 22, 2014, at St. Vincent Anderson Regional Hospital after a sudden illness. He was born Jan. 3, 1943, in Anderson, the son of Leroy and Dena Mae (Gross) Floyd. Kent was a graduate of Prairie Hig
- John Witt Jr. John Witt Jr., 62, Peru, passed away at 12:30 p.m. Saturday, April 12, 2014, at Dukes Memorial Hospital. Arrangements have been entrusted to Eikenberry-Eddy Funeral Home, 84 W. Main St., Peru. John Witt Jr.
- Gertrude Rogers Gertrude Rogers, 91, Burlington, passed away at 11:34 a.m. Saturday, April 19, 2014, at Community Howard Regional Health. She was born on May 16, 1922, in Poplarville, Ky., to the late Pete and Nancy (Farmer) Jones. She married her childhood sweethea
- John Witt Jr. John Witt Jr., 62, Peru, passed away at 12:30 p.m. Saturday, April 12, 2014, at Dukes Memorial Hospital, Peru. A service celebrating the life of John Witt Jr. will be at 1 p.m. today at the First Assembly of God, 365 Monroe Ave., Peru, with Pastor D
- LaVaun 'Bonnie' Burnette LaVaun "Bonnie" Burnette, 88, Forest, passed away at 8:27 a.m. Monday, April 21, 2014, at the home of her niece. She was born on April 25, 1925, in Clinton County to Ray and Ethel M. (Conner) Smith. On Feb. 9, 1946, Bonnie married Fred Burnette and h
- Elizabeth 'Betty' Lee Elizabeth "Betty" Lee, 54, Kokomo, passed away Monday, April 21, 2014, at Community Howard Regional Health. Arrangements are pending with Sunset Memory Garden Funeral Home. Elizabeth 'Betty' Lee
- More Obituaries Headlines