June 30, 1929 - April 18, 2013
Mary Jo Gordon, 83, of Waterford Place Health Campus, Kokomo, went to be with our Lord on April 18, 2013.
She was born June 30, 1929, at the home of a relative in Cass County, the youngest child and only daughter of Earl Ray and Bernice Pearl (McKinney) McKnight. Mary Jo grew up in Galveston and graduated from Galveston High School. She later studied at Indiana University of Kokomo at the Seiberling Mansion campus.
She worked at Stellite (now Haynes) and Delco Radio (now GMCH), where she met her future husband. On July 7, 1950, she married Lewis Chester (Chet) Gordon, who preceded her in death on April 21, 2003.
Mary Jo left Delco to become a full-time wife and stay-at-home mother, where she devoted herself to her family, her home, her flower beds, and her artistic pursuits. A self-taught artist, Mary Jo produced many watercolors, pen-and-ink sketches, and crafts of all kinds, finally specializing in needlework and fabric arts. She made award-winning quilts, clothing and decorative items for friends and family, as well as many commissioned works, and projects sold
at several bazaars.
She is survived by her son, Stephen L. Gordon and his wife, Theresa, of Kokomo; her daughter, Janice D. Fant and her husband Kevin, Indianapolis; granddaughter and grandson-in-law, Holly and Joe Barszcz, Brownsburg; step-grandsons Joel, Barry and Nick Fant, Indianapolis; great-grandson, Carter Barszcz, Brownsburg; and step great-grandson, Noah Fant, Indianapolis. Several nieces and nephew also survive.
Mary Jo was preceded in death by her parents, husband, and her three brothers, Ernest, Herbert (Buck), and James McKnight.
Funeral services will be held at the Murray Weaver Funeral Home in Galveston, 401 S. California St., on Monday at 10 a.m. with the Rev. Roy E. Ice officiating. Burial will follow at Galveston Cemetery. Friends may call at the funeral home on Sunday from 2 to 6 p.m.
Memorial contributions may be made to the Galveston United Methodist Church, 515 S. Maple St. Galveston, IN 46932, or the Alzheimer’s Association, Greater Indiana Chapter, 50 E. 91st St., Suite 100, Indianapolis, IN 46240.
Online condolences may be sent to the family at www.murrayweaverfuneralhome.com
June 30, 1929 - April 18, 2013
- Don Longworth Don Longworth, 59, Delano, Tennessee, passed away Tuesday morning, July 8, 2014. He was a native of Kokomo, and had been a resident of Tennessee since 1992. Throughout his life, he owned several successful businesses. Most recent among them was a con
- Robert 'Bob' William James Jr. Robert “Bob” William James Jr., 78, Lakeland, Florida, passed peacefully Thursday, July 3, 2014, at Good Shepherd Hospice House after a long battle with supra nuclear palsy. Bob was born in Kokomo, to Florence and Robert James Sr. He was a lifelong r
- Angelita Enriquez Villegas Angelita Enriquez Villegas, 74, Kokomo, died at 3:47 a.m. Thursday, July 10, 2014, at Community Howard Regional Health, Kokomo.Mass of Christian burial will be 11 a.m. Tuesday at St. Joan of Arc Catholic Church, 3155 S. 200 West, Kokomo. The Rev. Fat
- Deloris Yvonne Greathouse Deloris Yvonne Greathouse, 76, died at 3:50 p.m. Wednesday, July 9, 2014, at her home.A Mass of Christian burial will take place at 11 a.m. Monday at St. Patrick Catholic Church, 1229 N. Washington St., with the Rev. Father Michael McKinley as celebr
- Funeral listings, July 11, 2014 Casey, Dorothy W., services are 11 a.m. today at First Evangelical Presbyterian Church, 2000 W. Jefferson St. Quirk, Helen L. (Vassele), services will be at 11 a.m. today at Ellers Mortuary Webster Street Chapel, 3400 S. Webster St.McCauley, Richard
- Karen Ann Reising Karen Ann Reising, 56, was born Dec. 5, 1957, in Indianapolis, the daughter of Marge Reising and the late Thomas Reising, Kokomo. She was called to heaven Tuesday, July 8, 2014, to join her dad and sisters, Carolyn Reising and Julie Steidle, Cincinna
- William Horace Barnett William Horace Barnett, 79, Kokomo, passed away at 4:30 a.m. Wednesday, July 9, 2014. He was born in Kokomo, on Oct. 7, 1934. He was the eldest child of Fuzzy and Pauline Barnett. On May 22, 1965 in Kokomo, he married Judith Diane (Kaufman), and she
- Russell R. Kalata Russell R. Kalata, 80, Kokomo, passed away Monday, July 7, 2014, at his home surrounded by family. He was born June 2, 1934, in Chicago, Illinois, to John and Ruth (Willett) Kalata.He was a veteran of the U.S. Navy and worked for the Chicago Railroad
- Amy Renee Bagley Amy Renee Bagley, 46, Tipton, passed away at 3:45 a.m. Sunday, July 6, 2014, at her home. She was born May 29, 1968, in Lebanon to Herbert Gene and Elsie Mae (Atkins) Stowers.Amy attended Tipton High School. She worked as a deputy county assessor in
- Richard Ray 'Dick' McCauley Richard Ray “Dick” McCauley, 73, passed away at 2:52 p.m. Tuesday, July 8, 2014, at his home in Kokomo. He was born in Miami County, Indiana, on Jan. 9, 1941, to Earnest and Hazel (Watkins) McCauley. On March 22, 1963, he married Diana Y. (Miller) Mc
- More Obituaries Headlines