June 30, 1929 - April 18, 2013
Mary Jo Gordon, 83, of Waterford Place Health Campus, Kokomo, went to be with our Lord on April 18, 2013.
She was born June 30, 1929, at the home of a relative in Cass County, the youngest child and only daughter of Earl Ray and Bernice Pearl (McKinney) McKnight. Mary Jo grew up in Galveston and graduated from Galveston High School. She later studied at Indiana University of Kokomo at the Seiberling Mansion campus.
She worked at Stellite (now Haynes) and Delco Radio (now GMCH), where she met her future husband. On July 7, 1950, she married Lewis Chester (Chet) Gordon, who preceded her in death on April 21, 2003.
Mary Jo left Delco to become a full-time wife and stay-at-home mother, where she devoted herself to her family, her home, her flower beds, and her artistic pursuits. A self-taught artist, Mary Jo produced many watercolors, pen-and-ink sketches, and crafts of all kinds, finally specializing in needlework and fabric arts. She made award-winning quilts, clothing and decorative items for friends and family, as well as many commissioned works, and projects sold
at several bazaars.
She is survived by her son, Stephen L. Gordon and his wife, Theresa, of Kokomo; her daughter, Janice D. Fant and her husband Kevin, Indianapolis; granddaughter and grandson-in-law, Holly and Joe Barszcz, Brownsburg; step-grandsons Joel, Barry and Nick Fant, Indianapolis; great-grandson, Carter Barszcz, Brownsburg; and step great-grandson, Noah Fant, Indianapolis. Several nieces and nephew also survive.
Mary Jo was preceded in death by her parents, husband, and her three brothers, Ernest, Herbert (Buck), and James McKnight.
Funeral services will be held at the Murray Weaver Funeral Home in Galveston, 401 S. California St., on Monday at 10 a.m. with the Rev. Roy E. Ice officiating. Burial will follow at Galveston Cemetery. Friends may call at the funeral home on Sunday from 2 to 6 p.m.
Memorial contributions may be made to the Galveston United Methodist Church, 515 S. Maple St. Galveston, IN 46932, or the Alzheimer’s Association, Greater Indiana Chapter, 50 E. 91st St., Suite 100, Indianapolis, IN 46240.
Online condolences may be sent to the family at www.murrayweaverfuneralhome.com
June 30, 1929 - April 18, 2013
- McHenry 'Mac' Bledsoe McHenry "Mac" Bledsoe, 86, Kokomo, passed away Wednesday, March 12, 2014, at his residence. He was born May 16, 1927, to Berton and Mary (Robinett) Bledsoe in Scott County, Va. On May 11, 1948, he married Naurene E. Gann, and she survives. McHenry re
- John G. Watson John G. Watson, 94, Ardmore, Ala., and formerly of Kokomo, died Thursday, March 13, 2014, in Ardmore, Tenn. No services are scheduled. Memorials may be made to Ardmore Health and Rehabilitation Center, 25385 Main St., Ardmore, TN 38449. John G. Wa
- Ovid Lorraine 'Bud' Rife Ovid Lorraine 'Bud" Rife entered his heavenly home Tuesday, March 11, 2014. He was born in June 7, 1935 in Chili, to Wilford and Jennie (Weller) Rife. He grew up on his family farm and graduated from Chili High School in 1952. He married his best fri
- Anne Marie (Budenz) Bailey On Wednesday, March 12, 2014, God called Anne Marie (Budenz) Bailey's name and bid her to come unto Him. She fought mightily, courageously, and valiantly against the cancers within her tiny body, and she fought that battle with grace, patience and fa
- Funerals Yohn, Evelyn J. "Grandma Evie," services are 10 a.m. today at Ellers Mortuary Webster Street Chapel, 3400 S. Webster St. Draper, Carlton Haywood, services are 11 a.m. today at Refreshing Springs Church of God In Christ. Davis, Linda J., services are
- Ovid Lorraine 'Bud' Rife Ovid Lorraine 'Bud' Rife died Tuesday, March 11, 2014. Visitation for family and friends is scheduled from 2 to 6 p.m. Sunday at Kokomo Zion United Methodist Church, 5051 E. 400 North, with a Masonic service by the Greentown Masonic Lodge No. 341 at
- McHenry 'Mac' Bledsoe McHenry "Mac" Bledsoe, 86, Kokomo, died Wednesday, March 12, 2014, at his residence. Funeral services will be at 10:30 a.m. Monday, with Pastor Terry Russell officiating. Burial will follow in Crown Point Cemetery. Friends are invited to visit with t
- Ronald 'Ronnie' Eugene Burton Ronald "Ronnie" Eugene Burton, 62, Brownsburg and formerly of Carmi, Ill., passed away Sunday, March 9, 2014. Ronnie was born Dec. 1, 1951, in Cairo, Ill., the son of Elza and Margie (Johnson) Burton. Ronnie was a train conductor who worked for Balti
- Rowena M. Little Rowena M. Little, 85, Gas City, passed away at 6:20 a.m. Monday, March 10, 2014, at Twin City Health Care. She was born Aug. 23, 1928, in Greentown to the late Rowland E. and Blanche (Webb) Riley. Rowena was a 1946 graduate of Greentown High School.
- Anne-Marie Bailey Anne-Marie Bailey, 47, Tipton, died at 8:50 p.m. Wednesday, March 12, 2014, at St. Vincent Hospital, Indianapolis. The Mass of the Resurrection will be at 11 a.m. Monday at St. Joan of Arc Catholic Church, 3155 S. 200 West, Kokomo, officiated by the
- More Obituaries Headlines