Sept. 29, 1923 - Jan. 5, 2006
Lt. Col. Robert D. Fligor, 82, Kokomo and part-time resident of Naples, Fla., died unexpectedly Thursday, Jan. 5, 2006, in Naples. Born Sept. 29, 1923, in Fremont, Ohio, he was the son of William E. and Nellie (Beck) Fligor. On May 21, 1944, in Fremont, Ohio, he married Geraldine King. On June 5, 1971, in Bloomington, Ind., he married Colleen Connolly Moorcroft.
Col. Fligor graduated from Fremont Ross High School in Fremont, Ohio then attended Miami University of Oxford, Ohio. He earned a bachelor’s degree from Great Falls College in Montana and proceeded to earn a master’s degree from Indiana University, Bloomington.
He enlisted with the Army Air Corps as an Aviation Cadet in 1942 and pursued a military career for 22 years. After being commissioned a 2nd Lt. upon graduation from pilot’s training in 1944, Col. Fligor was assigned with the 8th Air Force in England as a B-17 pilot during World War II. Later he spent two years in Greenland, three years in Germany, he then flew with Strategic Air Command at various locations during the Cold War.
On Jan. 1, 1965, he retired from the Air Force at Grissom Air Force Base and was employed as the first business manager of the Kokomo-Center School System, a position he held for the following 22 years. As chief financial officer for the school corporation, he worked closely with the superintendent of schools and the school board on matters dealing with the reconstruction of the School Administration Building and Maple Crest School after the Palm Sunday tornado, construction of Kokomo (Haworth) High School, the school hot lunch program, school bus administration, insurance, computerization of the administrative functions, contract negotiation, and general supervision of the secretarial force.
A strong believer in volunteerism, Col. Fligor worked with the United Way of Howard County and was its 1983 president as well as being a director of the Indiana Association of School Business Officials. After retirement he was a counselor for SCORE.
Leisure hours were spent pursuing various hobbies such as reading, traveling, playing bridge, rose gardening. His first love was always his family.
He was a devoted husband of Colleen (Kit), who preceded him in death. He is survived by his son, Michael Fligor; daughter, Teresa DuSoliel, and son, James and wife Maryna Fligor; stepchildren, Michael and wife Deb Moorcroft, Timothy and wife Marie Moorcroft, and Cathryn and husband, Joseph Fraiz; 16 grandchildren; 10 great-grandchildren; and a brother, Patrick and wife Nora Fligor.
A funeral service to celebrate his life will be 1 p.m. Tuesday at Ellers Mortuary, Webster Street Chapel, 3400 S. Webster St., with Pastor Mark Sloss officiating. Entombment will follow in Sunset Memory Garden Mausoleum with military rites performed by the Kokomo VFW Military Rites Team. Friends are invited to call from 4 to 8 p.m. Monday at the mortuary. Memorials may be made to the American Cancer Society or a charity of the donor’s choice.
Sept. 29, 1923 - Jan. 5, 2006
- Janetta Dale Pearson Janetta Dale Pearson, 78, Kokomo, formerly of Logansport, passed away at 4:10 p.m. Saturday, March 8, 2014, in St. Joseph's Hospital, Kokomo. Born Jan. 28, 1936 in Mount Carmel, Ill, she was the daughter of "Dude" and Mary Moore Dudley. She was marri
- Funerals, March 10, 2014 Huffer, Robert "Bob" E. Sr., services are 10 a.m. today at Ellers Mortuary Webster Street Chapel, 3400 S. Webster St. Hill, Robert E., services are 10:30 a.m. today at Grace United Methodist Church, 219 W. Mulberry St. Harner, John T. "Dutch," servic
- Shirley A. Waters Shirley A. Waters, 68, Kokomo, passed away at 2:15 a.m. March 7, 2014, at Community North Hospital. She was born July 7, 1945, in Marion to Richard and Mary (Harvey) Tubbs. Shirley had a passion for life and a love for her family. She looked forward
- Gloria Ann McQuiston Gloria Ann McQuiston, 78, Galveston, died at 5:09 a.m. Saturday, March 8, 2014, at St. Joseph Hospital. Arrangements are pending at Ellers Mortuary Webster Street Chapel. Gloria Ann McQuiston
- Lowell E. Pells Lowell E. Pells, 85, Kokomo, passed away at 8 p.m. Wednesday, Feb. 26, 2014, at Waterford Place Health Campus. Lowell was born Aug. 19, 1928, in Chicago, Ill., to the late Gustave and Cora Pells. Lowell was a 1947 Kokomo High School graduate. His mar
- Gary Allen Price Gary Allen Price, 44, passed away Wednesday, March 5, 2014, surrounded by those who loved him dearly. He was born the son of Jeff and Toni (Guy) Price on Aug. 19, 1969. Gary leaves behind an unprecedented legacy of unconditional love and bear hugs to
- Funerals Gamrath, Eva N. (Erfcamp), services are 4 p.m. today at New Beginnings Church, 1900 S. Berkley Road. Huffer, Robert "Bob" E. Sr., services are 10 a.m. Monday at Ellers Mortuary Webster Street Chapel, 3400 S. Webster St. Hill, Robert E., services are
- Dorothy Ann Wysong Dorothy Ann Wysong, 85, Louisville, Ky., passed away at 11:06 p.m. Thursday, March 6, 2014, at Norton Audubon Hospital, Louisville. She was born April 2, 1928, in North Vernon, to the late Carmel and Mildred Dausch. On May 31, 1945, Dorothy married R
- Helen Miller Helen Miller, 83, Kokomo, died March 8, 2014, at Waterford Nursing Home. Arrangements pending at Sunset Memory Garden Funeral Home & Cemetery. Helen Miller
- Florence Lee Eckart Florence Lee Eckart, 89, Kokomo, passed away at 6:34 a.m. Friday, March 7, 2014, at Century Villa Healthcare. Florence was born July 18, 1924, in Cincinnati, Ohio. Her parents were the late Hanley and Barbara (Hardin) Johnson. On July 10, 1948, in Cl
- More Obituaries Headlines