Sept. 29, 1923 - Jan. 5, 2006
Lt. Col. Robert D. Fligor, 82, Kokomo and part-time resident of Naples, Fla., died unexpectedly Thursday, Jan. 5, 2006, in Naples. Born Sept. 29, 1923, in Fremont, Ohio, he was the son of William E. and Nellie (Beck) Fligor. On May 21, 1944, in Fremont, Ohio, he married Geraldine King. On June 5, 1971, in Bloomington, Ind., he married Colleen Connolly Moorcroft.
Col. Fligor graduated from Fremont Ross High School in Fremont, Ohio then attended Miami University of Oxford, Ohio. He earned a bachelor’s degree from Great Falls College in Montana and proceeded to earn a master’s degree from Indiana University, Bloomington.
He enlisted with the Army Air Corps as an Aviation Cadet in 1942 and pursued a military career for 22 years. After being commissioned a 2nd Lt. upon graduation from pilot’s training in 1944, Col. Fligor was assigned with the 8th Air Force in England as a B-17 pilot during World War II. Later he spent two years in Greenland, three years in Germany, he then flew with Strategic Air Command at various locations during the Cold War.
On Jan. 1, 1965, he retired from the Air Force at Grissom Air Force Base and was employed as the first business manager of the Kokomo-Center School System, a position he held for the following 22 years. As chief financial officer for the school corporation, he worked closely with the superintendent of schools and the school board on matters dealing with the reconstruction of the School Administration Building and Maple Crest School after the Palm Sunday tornado, construction of Kokomo (Haworth) High School, the school hot lunch program, school bus administration, insurance, computerization of the administrative functions, contract negotiation, and general supervision of the secretarial force.
A strong believer in volunteerism, Col. Fligor worked with the United Way of Howard County and was its 1983 president as well as being a director of the Indiana Association of School Business Officials. After retirement he was a counselor for SCORE.
Sept. 29, 1923 - Jan. 5, 2006
- Frederick Alan Rose Frederick Alan Rose, 61, Kokomo, died at 6:30 p.m. Wednesday, Aug. 20, 2014, at his residence.Arrangements are pending with Shirley & Stout Funeral Homes and Crematory. A full obituary will be published at a later date.
- Funeral listings, Aug. 22, 2014 Kinzie, Wanda Marie (Hayes), services are 10 a.m. today at Allen Funeral Home, 136 S. Elm St., Bunker Hill. Wright, Carol, funeral service at 2 p.m. today at Genda Funeral Home, 608 N. Main St., Frankfort.Flood, Joseph William Francis Jr., a memorial
- Jerry Devern Nance Jerry Devern Nance, 63, Kokomo, passed away Wednesday, Aug. 13, 2014, in Indianapolis.Family and friends may join us for a celebration of life from 2 to 4 p.m. Sunday at Crossroads Community Church, 4254 S. 00 East-West. Enter through door 2.The fami
- Delores Skelton Delores Skelton, 77, Kokomo, formerly of Logansport, passed away at 5:55 a.m. Thursday, Aug. 21, 2014, in Community Howard Regional Health. Born April 22, 1937, in Logansport, she was the daughter of Charles and Lillian Elizabeth Zech Nethercutt. On
- Shirley Ann Sage Shirley Ann Sage, 77, Converse, passed away Thursday, Aug. 21, 2014, at Sterling House in Marion, following an extended illness. Funeral service will be at 11 a.m. Monday at the Open Door Fellowship Church, Converse, with Pastors Jim Miller and Don R
- Cindi Thompson Cindi Thompson, 59, rural Frankfort, died at 4:50 a.m. Thursday, Aug. 21, 2014, at her residence. Funeral services will be at 7 p.m. Monday at Young-Nichols Funeral Home, Tipton, with Pastor Kevin Carr presiding. A private family burial will be held
- Shirley J. Decker Shirley J. Decker, 87, Walton, died early Wednesday morning, Aug. 20, 2014, at her home. Graveside services will be at 1 p.m. Saturday at the Walton IOOF Cemetery in Walton, with the Rev. Vince Darland officiating. No visitation is planned.Memorial c
- Wayne L. Walker Wayne L. Walker, 64, Tipton, died Wednesday, Aug. 20, 2014, at his residence. He was born July 3, 1950, in Livingston, Tennessee, to Estelene (Walker) Decker.He retired from General Motors, Delphi, in 2009. Wayne was a member of the U.A.W., Tipton Mo
- Barbara 'Bobbie' A. (Reynolds) Jacobs Barbara “Bobbie” A. (Reynolds) Jacobs, 79, passed away at 5:45 a.m. Wednesday, Aug. 20, 2014, at her residence in Kokomo. She was born Jan. 9, 1935, in Des Moines, Iowa. She was the daughter of the late Frank and Hazel (Nicholes) Reynolds. On Sept. 2
- Wilda R Hawk Wilda R. Hawk, 79, died at 6 a.m. Thursday, Aug, 21, 2014, in Golden Living Center - Sycamore Village Nursing Home. Services are pending with Hasler & Stout Funeral Home, 112 E. Main St., Greentown.
- More Obituaries Headlines