Sept. 29, 1923 - Jan. 5, 2006
Lt. Col. Robert D. Fligor, 82, Kokomo and part-time resident of Naples, Fla., died unexpectedly Thursday, Jan. 5, 2006, in Naples. Born Sept. 29, 1923, in Fremont, Ohio, he was the son of William E. and Nellie (Beck) Fligor. On May 21, 1944, in Fremont, Ohio, he married Geraldine King. On June 5, 1971, in Bloomington, Ind., he married Colleen Connolly Moorcroft.
Col. Fligor graduated from Fremont Ross High School in Fremont, Ohio then attended Miami University of Oxford, Ohio. He earned a bachelor’s degree from Great Falls College in Montana and proceeded to earn a master’s degree from Indiana University, Bloomington.
He enlisted with the Army Air Corps as an Aviation Cadet in 1942 and pursued a military career for 22 years. After being commissioned a 2nd Lt. upon graduation from pilot’s training in 1944, Col. Fligor was assigned with the 8th Air Force in England as a B-17 pilot during World War II. Later he spent two years in Greenland, three years in Germany, he then flew with Strategic Air Command at various locations during the Cold War.
On Jan. 1, 1965, he retired from the Air Force at Grissom Air Force Base and was employed as the first business manager of the Kokomo-Center School System, a position he held for the following 22 years. As chief financial officer for the school corporation, he worked closely with the superintendent of schools and the school board on matters dealing with the reconstruction of the School Administration Building and Maple Crest School after the Palm Sunday tornado, construction of Kokomo (Haworth) High School, the school hot lunch program, school bus administration, insurance, computerization of the administrative functions, contract negotiation, and general supervision of the secretarial force.
A strong believer in volunteerism, Col. Fligor worked with the United Way of Howard County and was its 1983 president as well as being a director of the Indiana Association of School Business Officials. After retirement he was a counselor for SCORE.
Sept. 29, 1923 - Jan. 5, 2006
- Funerals, April 21, 2014 Kinsey, Roy Leslie, services are 10 a.m. Tuesday at Zion Lutheran Church, 173 Hale Drive, Wabash. Duncan, Nora Ethel, services are 10 a.m. Tuesday at Ellers Mortuary Webster Street Chapel, 3400 S. Webster St. Washam, William G. 'Willie', services wil
- David A. Emberton David A. Emberton, 61, Tipton, passed away Friday, April 18, 2014, at IU Health Tipton in Tipton. He was born Dec. 23, 1952, in Tipton, to Floyd and Roxie (Blythe) Emberton. On March 11, 1972, David married Debbie Arnett and they had shared 42 years
- Theresa A. Young Theresa A. Young, 52, Kokomo, died Friday, April 18 2014. Bluitt & Son Funeral Home is handling the arrangements. Theresa A. Young
- Funerals, April 20, 2014 Kinsey, Roy Leslie, services are 10 a.m. Tuesday at Zion Lutheran Church, 173 Hale Drive, Wabash. Duncan, Nora Ethel, services are 10 a.m. Tuesday at Ellers Mortuary Webster Street Chapel, 3400 S. Webster St. Rayl, Beverly Susan "Susie", services are
- Beverly Susann 'Susie' Rayl Beverly Susann "Susie" Rayl, 84, passed away Thursday, April 17, 2014, at Waterford Place. She was born July 10, 1929, in Howard County to Russell Lowell and Vera Deloras (McCarty) Fisher. She graduated from Kokomo High School in 1947. She married Ge
- Bal Raj Nijhawan Dr. Bal Raj Nijhawan, 98, Sun City Center, Fla., formerly of Kokomo, entered into rest Sunday, April 6, 2014, following a brief illness, with his family present. He was born in Lyallpur, India, to Lala Sukh Diyal and Rajwanti (Kochar) Nijhawan. He ma
- James R. Lutz James R. Lutz, 72, Kokomo, passed away at 5:10 p.m. Friday, April 18, 2014, at his home after a courageous battle with cancer. Jim was born Sept. 8, 1941, in Elizabethtown, Ky., to John and Stella (Cartwright) Lutz. In 1961, he married Shirley L. (Mi
- Reta Gail Moore Reta Gail Moore, 63, died Thursday, April 17, 2014, at St. Vincent Hospital in Indianapolis. Memorial services will be at 11 a.m. Thursday at Lutheran Church of Our Redeemer, 705 Southway Blvd. E., with Pastor Bill Allison officiating. Burial will f
- Nora 'Ethel' Duncan Nora "Ethel" Duncan, 87, Kokomo, passed away at 9 a.m. Monday, April 14, 2014, at Waterford Health Campus, Kokomo. Born Oct. 3, 1926, in New Castle, she was the daughter of the late Walter Thomas Reavis and Hattie Ethel (West) Reavis. On June 20, 195
- William G. 'Willie' Washam William G. "Willie" Washam, 84, passed away at 7:20 p.m. Wednesday, April 16, 2014, in Knoxville, Tenn. He was born Aug. 17, 1929, in Union County, Tenn., to Harvey Logan and Ina Esther (Dukes) Washam. On April 3, 1952, Willie married Tressie Lou Wol
- More Obituaries Headlines