Sept. 29, 1923 - Jan. 5, 2006
Lt. Col. Robert D. Fligor, 82, Kokomo and part-time resident of Naples, Fla., died unexpectedly Thursday, Jan. 5, 2006, in Naples. Born Sept. 29, 1923, in Fremont, Ohio, he was the son of William E. and Nellie (Beck) Fligor. On May 21, 1944, in Fremont, Ohio, he married Geraldine King. On June 5, 1971, in Bloomington, Ind., he married Colleen Connolly Moorcroft.
Col. Fligor graduated from Fremont Ross High School in Fremont, Ohio then attended Miami University of Oxford, Ohio. He earned a bachelor’s degree from Great Falls College in Montana and proceeded to earn a master’s degree from Indiana University, Bloomington.
He enlisted with the Army Air Corps as an Aviation Cadet in 1942 and pursued a military career for 22 years. After being commissioned a 2nd Lt. upon graduation from pilot’s training in 1944, Col. Fligor was assigned with the 8th Air Force in England as a B-17 pilot during World War II. Later he spent two years in Greenland, three years in Germany, he then flew with Strategic Air Command at various locations during the Cold War.
On Jan. 1, 1965, he retired from the Air Force at Grissom Air Force Base and was employed as the first business manager of the Kokomo-Center School System, a position he held for the following 22 years. As chief financial officer for the school corporation, he worked closely with the superintendent of schools and the school board on matters dealing with the reconstruction of the School Administration Building and Maple Crest School after the Palm Sunday tornado, construction of Kokomo (Haworth) High School, the school hot lunch program, school bus administration, insurance, computerization of the administrative functions, contract negotiation, and general supervision of the secretarial force.
A strong believer in volunteerism, Col. Fligor worked with the United Way of Howard County and was its 1983 president as well as being a director of the Indiana Association of School Business Officials. After retirement he was a counselor for SCORE.
Sept. 29, 1923 - Jan. 5, 2006
- Harold Wayne Hodson Harold Wayne Hodson, 80, Kokomo, passed away at 3:45 a.m. Sunday, July 27, 2014, at his residence. He was born Aug. 30, 1933, in Kokomo, to the late Harold G. Hodson and Vera Agnes (Hudson) Hodson. On Nov. 6, 1977, in Greentown, he married Betty L. (
- Funeral listings, July 28, 2014 Jackson, Mary Edna, services are 10:30 a.m. today at Stout & Son Funeral Home, 200 E. Main St., Russiaville.King, Boyd, services are 1 p.m. today at Flowers-Leedy Funeral Home, Peru.Madison, Metanya Marie, graveside services are 1 p.m. today at Sunse
- Rita K. Mote Rita K. Mote, 85, Kokomo, died at 3:51 p.m. Saturday, July 26, 2014, at Community Howard Regional Health. She was born Feb. 10, 1929, in Tipton, the daughter of Elmer J. and Marie C. (Langley) Letsinger. On July 3, 1960, she married Charles O. “Bud”
- Emogene Richey Emogene Richey, 94, Greentown, died on Sunday, July 27, 2014, at Century Villa Health Care. Arrangements are pending at Hasler-Stout Funeral Home in Greentown.
- Owen Davis Owen Davis was stillborn at 2:15 p.m. July 21, 2014. Owen was 6 pounds exactly, 19 and one-half inches long, with a head full of hair, at St. Joseph Hospital. He was born to James Harley and Rheadawn Nichole Davis (Dobbs).Surviving family include his
- Funeral services, July 27, 2014 Green, Cheryl Ann Rose, services are noon today at Serenity Hills Homestead in Spencer.Jackson, Mary Edna, services are 10:30 a.m. Monday at Stout & Son Funeral Home, 200 E. Main St., Russiaville.King, Boyd, services are 1 p.m. Monday at Flowers-Leed
- Charles A. Wilburn Charles A. Wilburn, 83, Kokomo, formerly of Elwood, passed away Friday, June 25, 2014, at Golden Living Sycamore Village in Kokomo. Arrangements are pending at Dunnichay Funeral Home in Elwood.
- John William Metcalf John William Metcalf, 82, Kokomo, went to his heavenly home at 10:40 a.m. Friday, July 25, 2014, at St. Joseph Hospital. He was born on July 30, 1931, in Howard County, to Harry Russell and Mildred Josephine (Scott) Metcalf. On Dec. 19, 1951, John ma
- Linda L. Jackson Linda L. Jackson, 71, Russiaville, passed away at 4 a.m. Thursday, July 24, 2014, at St. Vincent’s Hospital in Indianapolis. She was born on March 25, 1943, in Kokomo, to Eldon and Bernice (Hawk) Welcher. On Sept. 15, 1962, Linda married Raymond A. J
- Francis E. Knox Francis E. Knox, 84, Kokomo, passed away Saturday, July 26, 2014, at his home. Arrangements are pending with Sunset Memory Garden Funeral Home.
- More Obituaries Headlines