Sept. 29, 1923 - Jan. 5, 2006
Lt. Col. Robert D. Fligor, 82, Kokomo and part-time resident of Naples, Fla., died unexpectedly Thursday, Jan. 5, 2006, in Naples. Born Sept. 29, 1923, in Fremont, Ohio, he was the son of William E. and Nellie (Beck) Fligor. On May 21, 1944, in Fremont, Ohio, he married Geraldine King. On June 5, 1971, in Bloomington, Ind., he married Colleen Connolly Moorcroft.
Col. Fligor graduated from Fremont Ross High School in Fremont, Ohio then attended Miami University of Oxford, Ohio. He earned a bachelor’s degree from Great Falls College in Montana and proceeded to earn a master’s degree from Indiana University, Bloomington.
He enlisted with the Army Air Corps as an Aviation Cadet in 1942 and pursued a military career for 22 years. After being commissioned a 2nd Lt. upon graduation from pilot’s training in 1944, Col. Fligor was assigned with the 8th Air Force in England as a B-17 pilot during World War II. Later he spent two years in Greenland, three years in Germany, he then flew with Strategic Air Command at various locations during the Cold War.
On Jan. 1, 1965, he retired from the Air Force at Grissom Air Force Base and was employed as the first business manager of the Kokomo-Center School System, a position he held for the following 22 years. As chief financial officer for the school corporation, he worked closely with the superintendent of schools and the school board on matters dealing with the reconstruction of the School Administration Building and Maple Crest School after the Palm Sunday tornado, construction of Kokomo (Haworth) High School, the school hot lunch program, school bus administration, insurance, computerization of the administrative functions, contract negotiation, and general supervision of the secretarial force.
A strong believer in volunteerism, Col. Fligor worked with the United Way of Howard County and was its 1983 president as well as being a director of the Indiana Association of School Business Officials. After retirement he was a counselor for SCORE.
Sept. 29, 1923 - Jan. 5, 2006
- Gertrude Rogers Gertrude Rogers, 91, Burlington, passed away at 11:34 a.m. Saturday, April 19, 2014, at Community Howard Regional Health. She was born on May 16, 1922, in Poplarville, Ky., to the late Pete and Nancy (Farmer) Jones. She married her childhood sweethea
- John Witt Jr. John Witt Jr., 62, Peru, passed away at 12:30 p.m. Saturday, April 12, 2014, at Dukes Memorial Hospital, Peru. A service celebrating the life of John Witt Jr. will be at 1 p.m. today at the First Assembly of God, 365 Monroe Ave., Peru, with Pastor D
- LaVaun 'Bonnie' Burnette LaVaun "Bonnie" Burnette, 88, Forest, passed away at 8:27 a.m. Monday, April 21, 2014, at the home of her niece. She was born on April 25, 1925, in Clinton County to Ray and Ethel M. (Conner) Smith. On Feb. 9, 1946, Bonnie married Fred Burnette and h
- Elizabeth 'Betty' Lee Elizabeth "Betty" Lee, 54, Kokomo, passed away Monday, April 21, 2014, at Community Howard Regional Health. Arrangements are pending with Sunset Memory Garden Funeral Home. Elizabeth 'Betty' Lee
- Kelly Nicole Maynard Kelly Nicole Maynard, 25, passed away at 3 a.m. Friday, April 18, 2014, at her residence. Viewing will be from 5 to 8 p.m. today at Eikenberry-Eddy Funeral Home, 84 W. Main St., Peru. A Mass of Christian burial will be at 10:30 a.m. Thursday at St.
- Jana Darlene Davis Jana Darlene Davis, 34, died Friday, April 18, 2014, at St. Joseph Hospital. She was born the daughter of Robert Housley and Mary Davis on Oct. 11, 1979, in Kokomo. Jana was a graduate of Maconaquah High School. She enjoyed fishing, crafts, spending
- Funerals Rayl, Beverly Susan "Susie," services are 11 a.m. today at Sunset Memory Garden Funeral Home, 2097 W. Alto Road. DePoy, Ernest Wayne, services are 11 a.m. today at McClain Funeral Home, Denver. Oakes, Steve "Lt. Dan," a graveside service is 11 a.m. t
- Thomas Eugene Brooks Thomas Eugene Brooks, 78, Bringhurst, died at 6:58 p.m. Saturday, April 19, 2014, at IU Health Arnett Hospital, Lafayette. He was born Dec. 29, 1935, in Delphi, to the late Dana and Doris Britton Brooks. His marriage was to Judith Kay Bowman in Delph
- Virginia T. Nelson Virginia T. Nelson, formerly of Kokomo, went to be with the Lord at 5:45 p.m. Saturday, April 19, 2014. She was born in Kokomo on Nov. 25, 1918, the daughter of the Rev. Charles and Zella Thomas. She was married on July 1, 1939, to Verlin E. Nelson,
- Donald E. Newman Donald E. Newman, 78, passed away at 1:30 a.m. Thursday, April 17, 2014, at Community Howard Regional Health in Kokomo. He was born the son of Melvin E. and Letha (Ollenburg) Newman on Oct. 18, 1935, in Milwaukee, Wis. On April 6, 1958, he married hi
- More Obituaries Headlines