July 31, 1941 - May 9, 2008
Stephen E. Funk, 66, Sharpsville, died 8:25 p.m. Friday, May 9, 2008, at his home with his wife by his side, after fighting a lengthy battle with lung cancer. He was born July 31, 1941, in Shelbyville, Ill., the son of the late Kenneth and Orah (Downs) Funk.
He was an Eagle Scout, earning that recognition early in high school. In 1962, he married Carolyn Brown at First Methodist Church in Shelbyville, Ill., and she survives. He was a graduate of Millikin University in Decatur, Ill., receiving his bachelor of arts degree in June of 1965. He was employed with Abbott Laboratories of North Chicago, as a professional hospital representative, serving the central Indiana sales district. He retired in June of 1999 after 28 years of service.
He was the past master of Sharpsville Reserve Lodge 363 F. & A.M. He was the first judge of the Sharpsville Town Court, served on the Sharpsville town board as president and board member for multiple terms, was the Sharpsville girls softball coach and umpire for several seasons, was in the couples Bridge Club of Kokomo for 35 years, enjoyed golf, bowling and tennis in which he had won several tournaments in doubles, a Colts and sports fan, which he attended many local sporting events, an avid reader, and loved to work the New York Times crosswords.
Survivors include his wife of 46 years, Carolyn Funk; two daughters, Laura (husband, David) Frank, Boston, and Diane (husband, Matt) Snyder, Kokomo; one sister, Gloria Weakley, Oak Park, Ill.; two grandchildren, Elaina Grace Snyder and Jack Matthew Snyder, both of Kokomo; one niece, Kim Switzer, Oak Park, Ill.; and one nephew Kent Weakley, Taos, N.M.
He was preceded in death by his parents and one infant sister, Lois Jean Funk.
Services are 10 a.m. Wednesday in Ellers Mortuary Webster Street Chapel, 3400 S. Webster St., with Pastor Dale Bliss officiating. Burial will follow in Sharpsville Cemetery. The family will receive friends 4 to 8 p.m. Tuesday at the mortuary. A Masonic service will be held Tuesday evening at the mortuary. Memorials may be directed to the American Cancer Society with envelopes available at the mortuary.
July 31, 1941 - May 9, 2008
- Gertrude Rogers Gertrude Rogers, 91, Burlington, passed away at 11:34 a.m. Saturday, April 19, 2014, at Community Howard Regional Health. She was born on May 16, 1922, in Poplarville, Ky., to the late Pete and Nancy (Farmer) Jones. She married her childhood sweethea
- John Witt Jr. John Witt Jr., 62, Peru, passed away at 12:30 p.m. Saturday, April 12, 2014, at Dukes Memorial Hospital, Peru. A service celebrating the life of John Witt Jr. will be at 1 p.m. today at the First Assembly of God, 365 Monroe Ave., Peru, with Pastor D
- LaVaun 'Bonnie' Burnette LaVaun "Bonnie" Burnette, 88, Forest, passed away at 8:27 a.m. Monday, April 21, 2014, at the home of her niece. She was born on April 25, 1925, in Clinton County to Ray and Ethel M. (Conner) Smith. On Feb. 9, 1946, Bonnie married Fred Burnette and h
- Elizabeth 'Betty' Lee Elizabeth "Betty" Lee, 54, Kokomo, passed away Monday, April 21, 2014, at Community Howard Regional Health. Arrangements are pending with Sunset Memory Garden Funeral Home. Elizabeth 'Betty' Lee
- Kelly Nicole Maynard Kelly Nicole Maynard, 25, passed away at 3 a.m. Friday, April 18, 2014, at her residence. Viewing will be from 5 to 8 p.m. today at Eikenberry-Eddy Funeral Home, 84 W. Main St., Peru. A Mass of Christian burial will be at 10:30 a.m. Thursday at St.
- Jana Darlene Davis Jana Darlene Davis, 34, died Friday, April 18, 2014, at St. Joseph Hospital. She was born the daughter of Robert Housley and Mary Davis on Oct. 11, 1979, in Kokomo. Jana was a graduate of Maconaquah High School. She enjoyed fishing, crafts, spending
- Funerals Rayl, Beverly Susan "Susie," services are 11 a.m. today at Sunset Memory Garden Funeral Home, 2097 W. Alto Road. DePoy, Ernest Wayne, services are 11 a.m. today at McClain Funeral Home, Denver. Oakes, Steve "Lt. Dan," a graveside service is 11 a.m. t
- Thomas Eugene Brooks Thomas Eugene Brooks, 78, Bringhurst, died at 6:58 p.m. Saturday, April 19, 2014, at IU Health Arnett Hospital, Lafayette. He was born Dec. 29, 1935, in Delphi, to the late Dana and Doris Britton Brooks. His marriage was to Judith Kay Bowman in Delph
- Virginia T. Nelson Virginia T. Nelson, formerly of Kokomo, went to be with the Lord at 5:45 p.m. Saturday, April 19, 2014. She was born in Kokomo on Nov. 25, 1918, the daughter of the Rev. Charles and Zella Thomas. She was married on July 1, 1939, to Verlin E. Nelson,
- Donald E. Newman Donald E. Newman, 78, passed away at 1:30 a.m. Thursday, April 17, 2014, at Community Howard Regional Health in Kokomo. He was born the son of Melvin E. and Letha (Ollenburg) Newman on Oct. 18, 1935, in Milwaukee, Wis. On April 6, 1958, he married hi
- More Obituaries Headlines