July 31, 1941 - May 9, 2008
Stephen E. Funk, 66, Sharpsville, died 8:25 p.m. Friday, May 9, 2008, at his home with his wife by his side, after fighting a lengthy battle with lung cancer. He was born July 31, 1941, in Shelbyville, Ill., the son of the late Kenneth and Orah (Downs) Funk.
He was an Eagle Scout, earning that recognition early in high school. In 1962, he married Carolyn Brown at First Methodist Church in Shelbyville, Ill., and she survives. He was a graduate of Millikin University in Decatur, Ill., receiving his bachelor of arts degree in June of 1965. He was employed with Abbott Laboratories of North Chicago, as a professional hospital representative, serving the central Indiana sales district. He retired in June of 1999 after 28 years of service.
He was the past master of Sharpsville Reserve Lodge 363 F. & A.M. He was the first judge of the Sharpsville Town Court, served on the Sharpsville town board as president and board member for multiple terms, was the Sharpsville girls softball coach and umpire for several seasons, was in the couples Bridge Club of Kokomo for 35 years, enjoyed golf, bowling and tennis in which he had won several tournaments in doubles, a Colts and sports fan, which he attended many local sporting events, an avid reader, and loved to work the New York Times crosswords.
Survivors include his wife of 46 years, Carolyn Funk; two daughters, Laura (husband, David) Frank, Boston, and Diane (husband, Matt) Snyder, Kokomo; one sister, Gloria Weakley, Oak Park, Ill.; two grandchildren, Elaina Grace Snyder and Jack Matthew Snyder, both of Kokomo; one niece, Kim Switzer, Oak Park, Ill.; and one nephew Kent Weakley, Taos, N.M.
He was preceded in death by his parents and one infant sister, Lois Jean Funk.
Services are 10 a.m. Wednesday in Ellers Mortuary Webster Street Chapel, 3400 S. Webster St., with Pastor Dale Bliss officiating. Burial will follow in Sharpsville Cemetery. The family will receive friends 4 to 8 p.m. Tuesday at the mortuary. A Masonic service will be held Tuesday evening at the mortuary. Memorials may be directed to the American Cancer Society with envelopes available at the mortuary.
July 31, 1941 - May 9, 2008
- Beverly Giles Cobb SAVANNAH, Ga. – Beverly Giles Cobb, 80, Savannah, Georgia, passed away at 11:50 a.m. on Saturday, July 26, 2014, at Tallahassee Memorial Healthcare, Tallahassee, Florida. She was born on Nov. 13, 1933, in Kokomo to the late Vivan and Margaret (Weaver
- Funerals, July 31, 2014 Richey, Emogene, services are 11 a.m. today at Hasler & Stout Funeral Home, 112 E. Main St., Greentown.Bookwalter, Frances Juanita, services are 2 p.m. today at McClain Funeral Home, Denver.Spivey, Cathy J., a celebration of life service is 7 p.m. to
- Rosemary Goyer Lovegrove Rosemary Goyer Lovegrove, formerly from Kokomo, passed into heaven on Jan. 16, 2014, with her son, Matthew, and daughter, Leoma, at her side at Hope Hospice in Fort Myers, Florida. She was 91 years old. A memorial of her life will be at 2 p.m. Saturd
- Charles A. Wilburn Charles A. Wilburn, 83, Kokomo and formerly of Elwood, passed away Friday, July 25, 2014, at Golden Living Sycamore Village in Kokomo, following an extended illness. Charles was born on July 19, 1931, in Elwood, to Harold and Ninez (Cook) Wilburn. On
- Funeral listings, July 30, 2014 Metcalf, John William, services are 10 a.m. today at Peace Lutheran Church, 750 E. Markland Ave.Shultz, Helen M., services are 10:30 a.m. today at Flowers-Leedy Funeral Home, Peru.Hodson, Harold Wayne, services are 11 a.m. today at Ellers Mortuary We
- Deena Lou Crawford Deena Lou Crawford, 72, Kokomo, passed away at 7:55 a.m. Sunday, July 27, 2014, at St. Joseph Hospital. She was born in Kokomo on Aug. 26, 1941, to the late Augustus and Matilda Worthy (Toney).Deena was a 1960 Kokomo High School graduate. She was als
- Marjorie A. Rayl Marjorie A. Rayl, 90, Kokomo, passed away at 9:06 a.m. Tuesday, July 29, 2014, at her residence. She was born Sept. 27, 1923, in Star City, Indiana, to Henry J. Shultz and Louise (Weltzen) Shultz. On Sept. 30, 1945, in Kokomo, she married Robert F. R
- Constance 'Connie' Jean Kelly Constance “Connie” Jean Kelly, 80, Peru, passed away at 9:20 p.m. Monday, July 28, 2014, at St. Joseph Hospital. She was born April 12, 1934, in Miami County, to the late John Comerford and Rose Mary (Mylet) Comerford Jarvis.She was retired from Gene
- Max V. Bitner Max V. Bitner, 84, Kempton, passed away Sunday, July 27, 2014, at his residence.Visitation is scheduled from 4 to 8 p.m. Thursday at Porter Funeral Home, 726 E. North St., Tipton. Funeral services will be at 11 a.m. Friday at Porter’s. Pastor Ed Smit
- Francis 'Tom' Eugene Knox Francis “Tom” Eugene Knox, 84, passed away Saturday, July 26, 2014, at his home. He was born June 21, 1930, in Vera Cruz, Indiana, to Floyd W. and Mildred D. (Gifford) Knox. On Aug. 17, 1974, he married Deloris O. Wheeler in Lafayette, and she preced
- More Obituaries Headlines