July 31, 1941 - May 9, 2008
Stephen E. Funk, 66, Sharpsville, died 8:25 p.m. Friday, May 9, 2008, at his home with his wife by his side, after fighting a lengthy battle with lung cancer. He was born July 31, 1941, in Shelbyville, Ill., the son of the late Kenneth and Orah (Downs) Funk.
He was an Eagle Scout, earning that recognition early in high school. In 1962, he married Carolyn Brown at First Methodist Church in Shelbyville, Ill., and she survives. He was a graduate of Millikin University in Decatur, Ill., receiving his bachelor of arts degree in June of 1965. He was employed with Abbott Laboratories of North Chicago, as a professional hospital representative, serving the central Indiana sales district. He retired in June of 1999 after 28 years of service.
He was the past master of Sharpsville Reserve Lodge 363 F. & A.M. He was the first judge of the Sharpsville Town Court, served on the Sharpsville town board as president and board member for multiple terms, was the Sharpsville girls softball coach and umpire for several seasons, was in the couples Bridge Club of Kokomo for 35 years, enjoyed golf, bowling and tennis in which he had won several tournaments in doubles, a Colts and sports fan, which he attended many local sporting events, an avid reader, and loved to work the New York Times crosswords.
Survivors include his wife of 46 years, Carolyn Funk; two daughters, Laura (husband, David) Frank, Boston, and Diane (husband, Matt) Snyder, Kokomo; one sister, Gloria Weakley, Oak Park, Ill.; two grandchildren, Elaina Grace Snyder and Jack Matthew Snyder, both of Kokomo; one niece, Kim Switzer, Oak Park, Ill.; and one nephew Kent Weakley, Taos, N.M.
He was preceded in death by his parents and one infant sister, Lois Jean Funk.
Services are 10 a.m. Wednesday in Ellers Mortuary Webster Street Chapel, 3400 S. Webster St., with Pastor Dale Bliss officiating. Burial will follow in Sharpsville Cemetery. The family will receive friends 4 to 8 p.m. Tuesday at the mortuary. A Masonic service will be held Tuesday evening at the mortuary. Memorials may be directed to the American Cancer Society with envelopes available at the mortuary.
July 31, 1941 - May 9, 2008
- Funerals, April 21, 2014 Kinsey, Roy Leslie, services are 10 a.m. Tuesday at Zion Lutheran Church, 173 Hale Drive, Wabash. Duncan, Nora Ethel, services are 10 a.m. Tuesday at Ellers Mortuary Webster Street Chapel, 3400 S. Webster St. Washam, William G. 'Willie', services wil
- David A. Emberton David A. Emberton, 61, Tipton, passed away Friday, April 18, 2014, at IU Health Tipton in Tipton. He was born Dec. 23, 1952, in Tipton, to Floyd and Roxie (Blythe) Emberton. On March 11, 1972, David married Debbie Arnett and they had shared 42 years
- Theresa A. Young Theresa A. Young, 52, Kokomo, died Friday, April 18 2014. Bluitt & Son Funeral Home is handling the arrangements. Theresa A. Young
- Funerals, April 20, 2014 Kinsey, Roy Leslie, services are 10 a.m. Tuesday at Zion Lutheran Church, 173 Hale Drive, Wabash. Duncan, Nora Ethel, services are 10 a.m. Tuesday at Ellers Mortuary Webster Street Chapel, 3400 S. Webster St. Rayl, Beverly Susan "Susie", services are
- Beverly Susann 'Susie' Rayl Beverly Susann "Susie" Rayl, 84, passed away Thursday, April 17, 2014, at Waterford Place. She was born July 10, 1929, in Howard County to Russell Lowell and Vera Deloras (McCarty) Fisher. She graduated from Kokomo High School in 1947. She married Ge
- Bal Raj Nijhawan Dr. Bal Raj Nijhawan, 98, Sun City Center, Fla., formerly of Kokomo, entered into rest Sunday, April 6, 2014, following a brief illness, with his family present. He was born in Lyallpur, India, to Lala Sukh Diyal and Rajwanti (Kochar) Nijhawan. He ma
- James R. Lutz James R. Lutz, 72, Kokomo, passed away at 5:10 p.m. Friday, April 18, 2014, at his home after a courageous battle with cancer. Jim was born Sept. 8, 1941, in Elizabethtown, Ky., to John and Stella (Cartwright) Lutz. In 1961, he married Shirley L. (Mi
- Reta Gail Moore Reta Gail Moore, 63, died Thursday, April 17, 2014, at St. Vincent Hospital in Indianapolis. Memorial services will be at 11 a.m. Thursday at Lutheran Church of Our Redeemer, 705 Southway Blvd. E., with Pastor Bill Allison officiating. Burial will f
- Nora 'Ethel' Duncan Nora "Ethel" Duncan, 87, Kokomo, passed away at 9 a.m. Monday, April 14, 2014, at Waterford Health Campus, Kokomo. Born Oct. 3, 1926, in New Castle, she was the daughter of the late Walter Thomas Reavis and Hattie Ethel (West) Reavis. On June 20, 195
- William G. 'Willie' Washam William G. "Willie" Washam, 84, passed away at 7:20 p.m. Wednesday, April 16, 2014, in Knoxville, Tenn. He was born Aug. 17, 1929, in Union County, Tenn., to Harvey Logan and Ina Esther (Dukes) Washam. On April 3, 1952, Willie married Tressie Lou Wol
- More Obituaries Headlines