March 9, 1932 - Oct. 17, 2008
James Riley Harlow, 76, Tipton, died at 8:10 a.m. Friday, Oct. 17, 2008, at Tipton Hospital. He was born March 9, 1932, in Tipton County, the son of William and May (Carmony) Harlow. He married Carolyn Sue (Welcher) on Dec. 18, 1953. She survives.
He was a farmer all of his life, a bus driver for Northern Community School for 36 years, and sold insurance for Harlow Insurance for many years. He graduated from Prairie High School in 1950 as the valedictorian of his class.
He served in the U.S. Marines during the Korean Conflict 1951 to 1953. He was a deacon and moderator of Rock Prairie Baptist Church at Tipton, served eight years on the Tipton County Memorial Hospital Board, two terms on the Tipton County Council and served on the Tipton County Health Board.
He loved to write poems, sing, worship the Lord, and spend time with his family.
Survivors are his wife, Carolyn Sue Harlow, Tipton; three sons, Jeff (Becky) Harlow, Brian (Rachelle) Harlow and Mike (Cris) Harlow, all of Tipton; two daughters, Bethany (Mike) Taylor, Tipton, and Marcia (Tony) McCauley, Sharpsville; 18 grandchildren, Richard Harlow, Tipton, Will (Tricia) Harlow, Tipton, Leslie (Curt) Raab, Tipton, Jessica (Josh) Kluetz, Chicago, Jennifer (Dave) Conrad, Lebanon, Adrianne Harlow, Greenville, Tenn.; Ben Harlow, Tipton and his fiancee, Jenee Elkins, California; Shanna (Nate) Conner, Fort Wayne, Nicole (BJ) Dunham, Noblesville, Alisha (Trenton) Casler, Kokomo, Marci (Brian) Strebin, Kokomo, Jake Taylor, Tipton, Andrew (Natalie) McCauley, Kokomo, Katrina (Tom) Elliott, Brookston, John Harlow, Luke Harlow, Elizabeth Harlow and Emily Harlow, all of Tipton; 11 great-grandchildren, Maisy Harlow, Hattie Harlow, Aiden Raab, Jonah Raab, Camden Raab, Lauren Conrad, Alex Dunham, Tate Strebin, Andrew Joyce, Sophie Elliott, and Oliver Elliott; and a sister, Miriam Jean Rinehart, Kokomo.
He was preceded in death by his parents and a brother, Wilmer Harlow.
A Celebration of Life services will be at 1 p.m. Monday at Crossroads Community Church, Ind. 26 and U.S. 31. Pastor Jeff Harlow and Pastor Kevin Carr will officiate. Burial will follow in Normanda Cemetery with military rites. Friends may call from 2 to 8 p.m. today at the church.
March 9, 1932 - Oct. 17, 2008
- Charles A. Wilburn Charles A. Wilburn, 83, Kokomo and formerly of Elwood, passed away Friday, July 25, 2014, at Golden Living Sycamore Village in Kokomo, following an extended illness. Charles was born on July 19, 1931, in Elwood, to Harold and Ninez (Cook) Wilburn. On
- Funeral listings, July 30, 2014 Metcalf, John William, services are 10 a.m. today at Peace Lutheran Church, 750 E. Markland Ave.Shultz, Helen M., services are 10:30 a.m. today at Flowers-Leedy Funeral Home, Peru.Hodson, Harold Wayne, services are 11 a.m. today at Ellers Mortuary We
- Deena Lou Crawford Deena Lou Crawford, 72, Kokomo, passed away at 7:55 a.m. Sunday, July 27, 2014, at St. Joseph Hospital. She was born in Kokomo on Aug. 26, 1941, to the late Augustus and Matilda Worthy (Toney).Deena was a 1960 Kokomo High School graduate. She was als
- Marjorie A. Rayl Marjorie A. Rayl, 90, Kokomo, passed away at 9:06 a.m. Tuesday, July 29, 2014, at her residence. She was born Sept. 27, 1923, in Star City, Indiana, to Henry J. Shultz and Louise (Weltzen) Shultz. On Sept. 30, 1945, in Kokomo, she married Robert F. R
- Constance 'Connie' Jean Kelly Constance “Connie” Jean Kelly, 80, Peru, passed away at 9:20 p.m. Monday, July 28, 2014, at St. Joseph Hospital. She was born April 12, 1934, in Miami County, to the late John Comerford and Rose Mary (Mylet) Comerford Jarvis.She was retired from Gene
- Max V. Bitner Max V. Bitner, 84, Kempton, passed away Sunday, July 27, 2014, at his residence.Visitation is scheduled from 4 to 8 p.m. Thursday at Porter Funeral Home, 726 E. North St., Tipton. Funeral services will be at 11 a.m. Friday at Porter’s. Pastor Ed Smit
- Francis 'Tom' Eugene Knox Francis “Tom” Eugene Knox, 84, passed away Saturday, July 26, 2014, at his home. He was born June 21, 1930, in Vera Cruz, Indiana, to Floyd W. and Mildred D. (Gifford) Knox. On Aug. 17, 1974, he married Deloris O. Wheeler in Lafayette, and she preced
- Funeral listings, July 29, 2014 Holmes, Imogene R. (Lett), services are 10 a.m. today at West Street Christian Church, Tipton.Jackson, Linda, services are 1 p.m. today at Stout & Son Funeral Home, 200 E. Main St., Russiaville.Esslinger, Hassie M., services are 1 p.m. today at Shirl
- Cathy J. Spivey Cathy J. Spivey, 66, Panama City, Florida, and formerly of Elwood, passed away Sunday, July 27, 2014, at Miller’s Merry Manor, surrounded by her loving family, following a brief illness.A celebration of life service will be at 7 p.m. Thursday, July 3
- Frances Juanita Bookwalter Frances Juanita Bookwalter, 93, Peru, went home to be with the Lord on Sunday morning, July 27, 2014, at Community Howard Regional Health, Kokomo, with her loving children by her side.Funeral services will be at 2 p.m. Thursday at McClain Funeral Hom
- More Obituaries Headlines