March 9, 1932 - Oct. 17, 2008
James Riley Harlow, 76, Tipton, died at 8:10 a.m. Friday, Oct. 17, 2008, at Tipton Hospital. He was born March 9, 1932, in Tipton County, the son of William and May (Carmony) Harlow. He married Carolyn Sue (Welcher) on Dec. 18, 1953. She survives.
He was a farmer all of his life, a bus driver for Northern Community School for 36 years, and sold insurance for Harlow Insurance for many years. He graduated from Prairie High School in 1950 as the valedictorian of his class.
He served in the U.S. Marines during the Korean Conflict 1951 to 1953. He was a deacon and moderator of Rock Prairie Baptist Church at Tipton, served eight years on the Tipton County Memorial Hospital Board, two terms on the Tipton County Council and served on the Tipton County Health Board.
He loved to write poems, sing, worship the Lord, and spend time with his family.
Survivors are his wife, Carolyn Sue Harlow, Tipton; three sons, Jeff (Becky) Harlow, Brian (Rachelle) Harlow and Mike (Cris) Harlow, all of Tipton; two daughters, Bethany (Mike) Taylor, Tipton, and Marcia (Tony) McCauley, Sharpsville; 18 grandchildren, Richard Harlow, Tipton, Will (Tricia) Harlow, Tipton, Leslie (Curt) Raab, Tipton, Jessica (Josh) Kluetz, Chicago, Jennifer (Dave) Conrad, Lebanon, Adrianne Harlow, Greenville, Tenn.; Ben Harlow, Tipton and his fiancee, Jenee Elkins, California; Shanna (Nate) Conner, Fort Wayne, Nicole (BJ) Dunham, Noblesville, Alisha (Trenton) Casler, Kokomo, Marci (Brian) Strebin, Kokomo, Jake Taylor, Tipton, Andrew (Natalie) McCauley, Kokomo, Katrina (Tom) Elliott, Brookston, John Harlow, Luke Harlow, Elizabeth Harlow and Emily Harlow, all of Tipton; 11 great-grandchildren, Maisy Harlow, Hattie Harlow, Aiden Raab, Jonah Raab, Camden Raab, Lauren Conrad, Alex Dunham, Tate Strebin, Andrew Joyce, Sophie Elliott, and Oliver Elliott; and a sister, Miriam Jean Rinehart, Kokomo.
He was preceded in death by his parents and a brother, Wilmer Harlow.
A Celebration of Life services will be at 1 p.m. Monday at Crossroads Community Church, Ind. 26 and U.S. 31. Pastor Jeff Harlow and Pastor Kevin Carr will officiate. Burial will follow in Normanda Cemetery with military rites. Friends may call from 2 to 8 p.m. today at the church.
Memorial contributions may be made to Rock Prairie Building Fund, Marriage Matters at Crossroads Community Church or the American Cancer Society. Envelopes will be available at the church.
Online condolences may be sent to www.stoutandson.com. Jeff Stout of Stout & Son Funeral Home, Russiaville, is handling the arrangements.
The family would like to thank Dr. Lambert and all of Tipton Hospital for all of the wonderful care and attention given to Dad and all of us.
March 9, 1932 - Oct. 17, 2008
- Shirley A. Waters Shirley A. Waters, 68, Kokomo, passed away at 2:15 a.m. March 7, 2014, at Community North Hospital. She was born July 7, 1945, in Marion to Richard and Mary (Harvey) Tubbs. Shirley had a passion for life and a love for her family. She looked forward
- Gloria Ann McQuiston Gloria Ann McQuiston, 78, Galveston, died at 5:09 a.m. Saturday, March 8, 2014, at St. Joseph Hospital. Arrangements are pending at Ellers Mortuary Webster Street Chapel. Gloria Ann McQuiston
- Lowell E. Pells Lowell E. Pells, 85, Kokomo, passed away at 8 p.m. Wednesday, Feb. 26, 2014, at Waterford Place Health Campus. Lowell was born Aug. 19, 1928, in Chicago, Ill., to the late Gustave and Cora Pells. Lowell was a 1947 Kokomo High School graduate. His mar
- Gary Allen Price Gary Allen Price, 44, passed away Wednesday, March 5, 2014, surrounded by those who loved him dearly. He was born the son of Jeff and Toni (Guy) Price on Aug. 19, 1969. Gary leaves behind an unprecedented legacy of unconditional love and bear hugs to
- Funerals Gamrath, Eva N. (Erfcamp), services are 4 p.m. today at New Beginnings Church, 1900 S. Berkley Road. Huffer, Robert "Bob" E. Sr., services are 10 a.m. Monday at Ellers Mortuary Webster Street Chapel, 3400 S. Webster St. Hill, Robert E., services are
- Dorothy Ann Wysong Dorothy Ann Wysong, 85, Louisville, Ky., passed away at 11:06 p.m. Thursday, March 6, 2014, at Norton Audubon Hospital, Louisville. She was born April 2, 1928, in North Vernon, to the late Carmel and Mildred Dausch. On May 31, 1945, Dorothy married R
- Helen Miller Helen Miller, 83, Kokomo, died March 8, 2014, at Waterford Nursing Home. Arrangements pending at Sunset Memory Garden Funeral Home & Cemetery. Helen Miller
- Florence Lee Eckart Florence Lee Eckart, 89, Kokomo, passed away at 6:34 a.m. Friday, March 7, 2014, at Century Villa Healthcare. Florence was born July 18, 1924, in Cincinnati, Ohio. Her parents were the late Hanley and Barbara (Hardin) Johnson. On July 10, 1948, in Cl
- Gertrude R. Townsend Gertrude R. Townsend, 91, Twelve Mile, died at 4:46 p.m. Friday, March 7, 2014, at Chase Center, Logansport Funeral services will be held at 10:30 a.m. Tuesday at McClain Funeral Home, Denver. Burial will follow in Mt. Carmel Cemetery, Twelve Mile. V
- William Thomas Jeffers Sr. William Thomas Jeffers Sr., Kokomo, died Friday, March 7, 2014, at his home. He was born April 10, 1932, in Kokomo, the son of Ernest G. and Iris (Swisher) Jeffers. On Dec. 21, 1952, in Kokomo, he married Marjorie Kathleen Denman, who preceded him in
- More Obituaries Headlines