March 9, 1932 - Oct. 17, 2008
James Riley Harlow, 76, Tipton, died at 8:10 a.m. Friday, Oct. 17, 2008, at Tipton Hospital. He was born March 9, 1932, in Tipton County, the son of William and May (Carmony) Harlow. He married Carolyn Sue (Welcher) on Dec. 18, 1953. She survives.
He was a farmer all of his life, a bus driver for Northern Community School for 36 years, and sold insurance for Harlow Insurance for many years. He graduated from Prairie High School in 1950 as the valedictorian of his class.
He served in the U.S. Marines during the Korean Conflict 1951 to 1953. He was a deacon and moderator of Rock Prairie Baptist Church at Tipton, served eight years on the Tipton County Memorial Hospital Board, two terms on the Tipton County Council and served on the Tipton County Health Board.
He loved to write poems, sing, worship the Lord, and spend time with his family.
Survivors are his wife, Carolyn Sue Harlow, Tipton; three sons, Jeff (Becky) Harlow, Brian (Rachelle) Harlow and Mike (Cris) Harlow, all of Tipton; two daughters, Bethany (Mike) Taylor, Tipton, and Marcia (Tony) McCauley, Sharpsville; 18 grandchildren, Richard Harlow, Tipton, Will (Tricia) Harlow, Tipton, Leslie (Curt) Raab, Tipton, Jessica (Josh) Kluetz, Chicago, Jennifer (Dave) Conrad, Lebanon, Adrianne Harlow, Greenville, Tenn.; Ben Harlow, Tipton and his fiancee, Jenee Elkins, California; Shanna (Nate) Conner, Fort Wayne, Nicole (BJ) Dunham, Noblesville, Alisha (Trenton) Casler, Kokomo, Marci (Brian) Strebin, Kokomo, Jake Taylor, Tipton, Andrew (Natalie) McCauley, Kokomo, Katrina (Tom) Elliott, Brookston, John Harlow, Luke Harlow, Elizabeth Harlow and Emily Harlow, all of Tipton; 11 great-grandchildren, Maisy Harlow, Hattie Harlow, Aiden Raab, Jonah Raab, Camden Raab, Lauren Conrad, Alex Dunham, Tate Strebin, Andrew Joyce, Sophie Elliott, and Oliver Elliott; and a sister, Miriam Jean Rinehart, Kokomo.
He was preceded in death by his parents and a brother, Wilmer Harlow.
A Celebration of Life services will be at 1 p.m. Monday at Crossroads Community Church, Ind. 26 and U.S. 31. Pastor Jeff Harlow and Pastor Kevin Carr will officiate. Burial will follow in Normanda Cemetery with military rites. Friends may call from 2 to 8 p.m. today at the church.
Memorial contributions may be made to Rock Prairie Building Fund, Marriage Matters at Crossroads Community Church or the American Cancer Society. Envelopes will be available at the church.
Online condolences may be sent to www.stoutandson.com. Jeff Stout of Stout & Son Funeral Home, Russiaville, is handling the arrangements.
The family would like to thank Dr. Lambert and all of Tipton Hospital for all of the wonderful care and attention given to Dad and all of us.
March 9, 1932 - Oct. 17, 2008
- Shirley A. Water Shirley A. Water, 68, Kokomo, died at 2:15 a.m. Friday, March7, 2014, at Community North Hospital. Arrangements are pending with Stout & Son Funeral Home. Shirley A. Water
- Robert E. Hill Robert E. Hill, 93, Kokomo, died at 4:47 a.m. Thursday, March 6, 2014, at Community Howard Regional Health. He was born April 20, 1920, near Greentown. His parents were Raymond Issac and Susie G. (Synder) Hill, both deceased. He and June E. Brown w
- Herbert Ford Herbert Ford, 73, Walton, died Thursday, March 6, 2014, in Cass County due to injuries sustained in an automobile accident. Per Herbert's wishes, there will be no services. Hartzler-Clapper Funeral Home of Brookston is entrusted with care. Share mem
- Lula M. Davis Lula M. Davis, 77, Tipton, died Wednesday, March 5, 2014, at Riverview Hospital, Noblesville. Visitation is scheduled from 10 a.m. to 1 p.m. Saturday at the Porter Funeral Home, 726 E. North St., Tipton. Funeral services will be at 1 p.m. the same da
- Mary Louise Newby Mary Louise Newby, 85, died at 5:56 p.m. Thursday, March 6, 2014, at North Woods Village. Funeral services will be at 10 a.m. Tuesday, March 11, 2014, at New London Friends Church, 2104 S. 766 West, Russiaville. Burial will follow at New London Ceme
- Gary Allen Price Gary Allen Price, 44, Kokomo, died at 4:34 p.m. Wednesday, March 5, 2014, at St. Joseph Hospital, surrounded by those who loved him dearly. Visitation will be from 4 to 8 p.m. Monday at Ellers Mortuary Webster Street Chapel, 3400 S. Webster St. Servi
- Jerolyn R. Blessing Jerolyn R. Blessing, 80, Kokomo, died Friday, March 7, 2014, at Community Howard Regional Health. Arrangements are pending with Sunset Memory Garden Funeral Home. Jerolyn R. Blessing
- Funerals Rogers, Stephen P. II, a celebration of life is 11 a.m. today at Paw Paw United Methodist Church, 7712 N. Paw Paw Pike, Denver. Amsbury, Blanche Alma, services are noon today at Leatherman-Morris-Boyer Funeral Home, 314 N. Main St., Tipton. Bauer, Ka
- Blanche Alma Amsbury Blanche Alma Amsbury, 97, Tipton, passed away at 7:02 a.m. Thursday, Feb. 13, 2014, at Community Parkview Care Center in Elwood. She was born Aug. 19, 1916, in Tipton County to George and Mary (Clark) Davis. Blanche married Clarence Amsbury Jan. 15,
- Eva N. Gamrath Eva N. Gamrath, 87, passed away at 2:52 p.m. Monday, March 3, 2014, at Community Howard Regional Health. She was born the daughter of Fred and Wilma (Maddock) Erfcamp on April 20, 1926, in Howard County. She married Robert Gamrath in 1975, and he pre
- More Obituaries Headlines