March 9, 1932 - Oct. 17, 2008
James Riley Harlow, 76, Tipton, died at 8:10 a.m. Friday, Oct. 17, 2008, at Tipton Hospital. He was born March 9, 1932, in Tipton County, the son of William and May (Carmony) Harlow. He married Carolyn Sue (Welcher) on Dec. 18, 1953. She survives.
He was a farmer all of his life, a bus driver for Northern Community School for 36 years, and sold insurance for Harlow Insurance for many years. He graduated from Prairie High School in 1950 as the valedictorian of his class.
He served in the U.S. Marines during the Korean Conflict 1951 to 1953. He was a deacon and moderator of Rock Prairie Baptist Church at Tipton, served eight years on the Tipton County Memorial Hospital Board, two terms on the Tipton County Council and served on the Tipton County Health Board.
He loved to write poems, sing, worship the Lord, and spend time with his family.
Survivors are his wife, Carolyn Sue Harlow, Tipton; three sons, Jeff (Becky) Harlow, Brian (Rachelle) Harlow and Mike (Cris) Harlow, all of Tipton; two daughters, Bethany (Mike) Taylor, Tipton, and Marcia (Tony) McCauley, Sharpsville; 18 grandchildren, Richard Harlow, Tipton, Will (Tricia) Harlow, Tipton, Leslie (Curt) Raab, Tipton, Jessica (Josh) Kluetz, Chicago, Jennifer (Dave) Conrad, Lebanon, Adrianne Harlow, Greenville, Tenn.; Ben Harlow, Tipton and his fiancee, Jenee Elkins, California; Shanna (Nate) Conner, Fort Wayne, Nicole (BJ) Dunham, Noblesville, Alisha (Trenton) Casler, Kokomo, Marci (Brian) Strebin, Kokomo, Jake Taylor, Tipton, Andrew (Natalie) McCauley, Kokomo, Katrina (Tom) Elliott, Brookston, John Harlow, Luke Harlow, Elizabeth Harlow and Emily Harlow, all of Tipton; 11 great-grandchildren, Maisy Harlow, Hattie Harlow, Aiden Raab, Jonah Raab, Camden Raab, Lauren Conrad, Alex Dunham, Tate Strebin, Andrew Joyce, Sophie Elliott, and Oliver Elliott; and a sister, Miriam Jean Rinehart, Kokomo.
He was preceded in death by his parents and a brother, Wilmer Harlow.
A Celebration of Life services will be at 1 p.m. Monday at Crossroads Community Church, Ind. 26 and U.S. 31. Pastor Jeff Harlow and Pastor Kevin Carr will officiate. Burial will follow in Normanda Cemetery with military rites. Friends may call from 2 to 8 p.m. today at the church.
Memorial contributions may be made to Rock Prairie Building Fund, Marriage Matters at Crossroads Community Church or the American Cancer Society. Envelopes will be available at the church.
Online condolences may be sent to www.stoutandson.com. Jeff Stout of Stout & Son Funeral Home, Russiaville, is handling the arrangements.
The family would like to thank Dr. Lambert and all of Tipton Hospital for all of the wonderful care and attention given to Dad and all of us.
March 9, 1932 - Oct. 17, 2008
- Betty Jane Bagwell Betty Jane Bagwell, 82, Kokomo, passed away at 12:33 p.m. Saturday, Dec. 7, 2013, at her daughter's home surrounded by her loving family. She was the last of four siblings for the late Fred and Mary Sacks (Blockson). Betty graduated from Kokomo High
- Funeral listings, Dec. 10, 2013 Jones, Arleda Z., services are 11 a.m. today at Windfall Christian Church, Windfall. Newhouse, Elsie, services are 1 p.m. today at Crossroads Community Church, 4254 S. 00 East-West. Miller, Mary Frances, services are 1 p.m. today at Shirley & Stout F
- Frances Ellen Rohrer Frances Ellen Rohrer, 96, Kokomo, died Sunday, Dec. 8, 2013. She was born in Camden on Aug. 19, 1917, the daughter of Tillman Howard Leslie and Bessie Belle (Calloway) Leslie. On Sept. 20, 1945, she married Ivan Rohrer who preceded her in death on Ja
- Mary Jane McCauley Mary Jane McCauley, 91, Kokomo, passed away at 6:58 p.m. Saturday, Dec. 7, 2013, at her home. She was born Oct. 21, 1922, in Howard County to the late Oren and Minnie Helms. Mary loved animals, traveling and spending time with her family. She is surv
- Linda E. Strange Linda E. Strange, 76, Kokomo, passed away at 10:52 p.m. Sunday, Dec. 8, 2013, at St. Joseph Hospital. Funeral services will be 2 p.m. Friday at Ellers Mortuary Main Street Chapel, 725 S. Main St., with Pastor Ken Spangler officiating. Burial will fol
- Donald LeRoy Smith Donald LeRoy Smith, 76, passed away at 7:20 p.m. Thursday, Dec. 5, 2013, at Golden Living Center Sycamore Village. Graveside services will be at 2 p.m. Thursday at Marion National Cemetery. Friends may visit from noon to 1 p.m. Thursday at Shirley &
- Wilma Lee Cochran Wilma Lee Cochran, 50, Sallis, Miss., and formerly of Peru, died at 8:30 a.m. Friday, Dec. 6, 2013, at University Medical Center, Jackson, Miss. A Mass of Christian burial will be at 11 a.m. Friday at St. Charles Catholic Church, 58 W. Fifth St., Per
- Ralph E. Ashcraft Jr. Ralph E. Ashcraft Jr., 62, Kokomo, passed away at 8:04 p.m. Saturday, Dec. 7, 2013, at Community Howard Regional Health. He was born Feb. 10, 1951, in Kokomo, to the late Ralph E. Ashcraft Sr. and Mary Elizabeth (Zellner) Ashcraft. On March 14, 1975,
- Thomas Kent Hobbs Thomas K. Hobbs, 66, Tipton County, passed away unexpectedly at 9:45 p.m. Saturday at the Richard L. Roudebush VA Medical Center, Indianapolis. Funeral services will be at 11 a.m. Saturday at Young-Nichols Funeral Home with Pastor Dave Freelan offic
- Dorothy M. Warnock Dorothy M. Warnock, 90, Kokomo, passed away at 7:45 p.m. Friday, Dec. 6, 2013, at Kindred Health Care. Dorothy was born Nov. 14, 1923, in Frankfort, to the late Ward and Mary Etta Dreyer. Her marriage to Donald W. Warnock, who preceded her in death,
- More Obituaries Headlines