Sept. 6, 1926 - Feb. 15, 2013
Lou Nell Howard
Oct. 6, 1930 - Feb. 15, 2013
Earle Howard, 86, and Lou Nell Howard, 82, passed away and went to Heaven together, Friday, Feb. 15, 2013, after lengthy illnesses. God answered their prayer that they would pass at the same time as they did not want to live without the other. Earle was born Sept. 6, 1926, the son of Theodore and Parele (Parker) Howard in Kokomo. She was born in Kokomo on Oct. 6, 1930, the daughter of Ernest and Jewel (Bell) Davis. She later became the stepdaughter of George Elson. On July 11, 1949, Earle and Lou Nell were married in Kokomo.
Earle was a graduate of Kokomo High School and went on to serve his country in the Army during World War II from 1944 to 1946. His military achievements included two Bronze Battle Stars, a Victory Medal, Good Conduct Medal, and Army of Occupation Medal Japan. He attained the rank of staff sergeant. Earle spent his career in public service starting with the Kokomo Police Department from 1950 to 1973 serving as a patrolman and retiring as police chief. He then joined the Howard County Sheriff Department from 1974 to 1986 serving as major under Sheriff Bob Sargent and later served two terms as Howard County Sheriff. Lastly, he served as Indiana State Representative in the Indiana General Assembly from 1986 to 1994. He also received commendation by the Indiana State Police.
He was a member of the First Church of the Nazarene, F.O.P., Elks, Kiwanis, Crisis Center Board and Salvation Army Board.
Lou Nell graduated from Kokomo High School and went on to have a 40-year career as a legal secretary for the law firm of Fell, McGarvey, Lacey, and Trauring. She also worked in the Recorder’s Office of Howard County for four years retiring in 1993. She was a member of the First Church of the Nazarene and the Red Hat Society.
They shared a love for their daughter’s Yorkshire terriers and often accompanied and traveled with her to dog shows.
Earle and Lou Nell are survived by their daughter, Julie Howard, Kokomo; Earle’s sister, Ada Conwell, Kokomo; a nephew, Patrick Meek, Chesterfield, and several other nieces and nephews.
He was preceded in death by his parents, three brothers and three sisters.
She was preceded in death by her parents; stepfather; sister, JoAnn Meek, Kokomo; and one nephew.
Funeral services will be 1 p.m. Tuesday at First Church of the Nazarene 2734 S. Washington St. Kokomo, with Pastor David Leeder officiating. Military rites will be provided by the U.S. Army and the Kokomo V.F.W. Military Rites Team following the funeral service. Private burial will be in Albright Cemetery at a later date. Friends may visit with the family from 2 to 8 p.m. Monday at Shirley & Stout Funeral Home & Crematory 1315 W. Lincoln Road, Kokomo, and one hour prior to services Tuesday at the church.
Memorial contributions may be made to First Church of the Nazarene or Guardian Angel Hospice. The family would like to thank Dr. Hussain and Guardian Angel Hospice for their care. Condolences may be left online at: www.shirleyandstout.com.
- Beverly Giles Cobb SAVANNAH, Ga. – Beverly Giles Cobb, 80, Savannah, Georgia, passed away at 11:50 a.m. on Saturday, July 26, 2014, at Tallahassee Memorial Healthcare, Tallahassee, Florida. She was born on Nov. 13, 1933, in Kokomo to the late Vivan and Margaret (Weaver
- Funerals, July 31, 2014 Richey, Emogene, services are 11 a.m. today at Hasler & Stout Funeral Home, 112 E. Main St., Greentown.Bookwalter, Frances Juanita, services are 2 p.m. today at McClain Funeral Home, Denver.Spivey, Cathy J., a celebration of life service is 7 p.m. to
- Rosemary Goyer Lovegrove Rosemary Goyer Lovegrove, formerly from Kokomo, passed into heaven on Jan. 16, 2014, with her son, Matthew, and daughter, Leoma, at her side at Hope Hospice in Fort Myers, Florida. She was 91 years old. A memorial of her life will be at 2 p.m. Saturd
- Charles A. Wilburn Charles A. Wilburn, 83, Kokomo and formerly of Elwood, passed away Friday, July 25, 2014, at Golden Living Sycamore Village in Kokomo, following an extended illness. Charles was born on July 19, 1931, in Elwood, to Harold and Ninez (Cook) Wilburn. On
- Funeral listings, July 30, 2014 Metcalf, John William, services are 10 a.m. today at Peace Lutheran Church, 750 E. Markland Ave.Shultz, Helen M., services are 10:30 a.m. today at Flowers-Leedy Funeral Home, Peru.Hodson, Harold Wayne, services are 11 a.m. today at Ellers Mortuary We
- Deena Lou Crawford Deena Lou Crawford, 72, Kokomo, passed away at 7:55 a.m. Sunday, July 27, 2014, at St. Joseph Hospital. She was born in Kokomo on Aug. 26, 1941, to the late Augustus and Matilda Worthy (Toney).Deena was a 1960 Kokomo High School graduate. She was als
- Marjorie A. Rayl Marjorie A. Rayl, 90, Kokomo, passed away at 9:06 a.m. Tuesday, July 29, 2014, at her residence. She was born Sept. 27, 1923, in Star City, Indiana, to Henry J. Shultz and Louise (Weltzen) Shultz. On Sept. 30, 1945, in Kokomo, she married Robert F. R
- Constance 'Connie' Jean Kelly Constance “Connie” Jean Kelly, 80, Peru, passed away at 9:20 p.m. Monday, July 28, 2014, at St. Joseph Hospital. She was born April 12, 1934, in Miami County, to the late John Comerford and Rose Mary (Mylet) Comerford Jarvis.She was retired from Gene
- Max V. Bitner Max V. Bitner, 84, Kempton, passed away Sunday, July 27, 2014, at his residence.Visitation is scheduled from 4 to 8 p.m. Thursday at Porter Funeral Home, 726 E. North St., Tipton. Funeral services will be at 11 a.m. Friday at Porter’s. Pastor Ed Smit
- Francis 'Tom' Eugene Knox Francis “Tom” Eugene Knox, 84, passed away Saturday, July 26, 2014, at his home. He was born June 21, 1930, in Vera Cruz, Indiana, to Floyd W. and Mildred D. (Gifford) Knox. On Aug. 17, 1974, he married Deloris O. Wheeler in Lafayette, and she preced
- More Obituaries Headlines