Sept. 6, 1926 - Feb. 15, 2013
Lou Nell Howard
Oct. 6, 1930 - Feb. 15, 2013
Earle Howard, 86, and Lou Nell Howard, 82, passed away and went to Heaven together, Friday, Feb. 15, 2013, after lengthy illnesses. God answered their prayer that they would pass at the same time as they did not want to live without the other. Earle was born Sept. 6, 1926, the son of Theodore and Parele (Parker) Howard in Kokomo. She was born in Kokomo on Oct. 6, 1930, the daughter of Ernest and Jewel (Bell) Davis. She later became the stepdaughter of George Elson. On July 11, 1949, Earle and Lou Nell were married in Kokomo.
Earle was a graduate of Kokomo High School and went on to serve his country in the Army during World War II from 1944 to 1946. His military achievements included two Bronze Battle Stars, a Victory Medal, Good Conduct Medal, and Army of Occupation Medal Japan. He attained the rank of staff sergeant. Earle spent his career in public service starting with the Kokomo Police Department from 1950 to 1973 serving as a patrolman and retiring as police chief. He then joined the Howard County Sheriff Department from 1974 to 1986 serving as major under Sheriff Bob Sargent and later served two terms as Howard County Sheriff. Lastly, he served as Indiana State Representative in the Indiana General Assembly from 1986 to 1994. He also received commendation by the Indiana State Police.
He was a member of the First Church of the Nazarene, F.O.P., Elks, Kiwanis, Crisis Center Board and Salvation Army Board.
Lou Nell graduated from Kokomo High School and went on to have a 40-year career as a legal secretary for the law firm of Fell, McGarvey, Lacey, and Trauring. She also worked in the Recorder’s Office of Howard County for four years retiring in 1993. She was a member of the First Church of the Nazarene and the Red Hat Society.
They shared a love for their daughter’s Yorkshire terriers and often accompanied and traveled with her to dog shows.
Earle and Lou Nell are survived by their daughter, Julie Howard, Kokomo; Earle’s sister, Ada Conwell, Kokomo; a nephew, Patrick Meek, Chesterfield, and several other nieces and nephews.
He was preceded in death by his parents, three brothers and three sisters.
She was preceded in death by her parents; stepfather; sister, JoAnn Meek, Kokomo; and one nephew.
Funeral services will be 1 p.m. Tuesday at First Church of the Nazarene 2734 S. Washington St. Kokomo, with Pastor David Leeder officiating. Military rites will be provided by the U.S. Army and the Kokomo V.F.W. Military Rites Team following the funeral service. Private burial will be in Albright Cemetery at a later date. Friends may visit with the family from 2 to 8 p.m. Monday at Shirley & Stout Funeral Home & Crematory 1315 W. Lincoln Road, Kokomo, and one hour prior to services Tuesday at the church.
Memorial contributions may be made to First Church of the Nazarene or Guardian Angel Hospice. The family would like to thank Dr. Hussain and Guardian Angel Hospice for their care. Condolences may be left online at: www.shirleyandstout.com.
- Annie Laurie Douglas Jan. 18, 1922 - Aug. 17, 2014 Annie Laurie Douglas, 92, a former Scircleville resident, died at 7 a.m. Sunday, Aug. 17, 2014, at Miller’s Merry Manor, Warsaw. She was born Jan. 18, 1922, in Beaumont, Kentucky, to Guy L. and Lillian C. (Williams) Knip
- Funeral listings, Aug. 20, 2014 Burns, Jackie Lee, services are 1 p.m. today at Ellers Mortuary Main Street Chapel, 725 S. Main St.Miller, Richard Carl, funeral services are at 10 a.m. Thursday at Flowers-Leedy Funeral Home, 105 W. Third St., Peru.Helvie, William Lee “Bill,” servic
- Eleanor Martin Eleanor Martin, 82, Russiaville, passed away at 3:42 a.m. Tuesday, Aug. 19, 2014, at Waterford Place Health Campus.Funeral services will be at 11 a.m. Saturday at Stout & Son Funeral Home, 200 E. Main St., Russiaville, with Pastor Bill Martin officia
- Thomas 'Tom' R. Faunce July 11, 1935 - Aug. 17, 2014Thomas “Tom” R. Faunce, 79, Kokomo, passed away at 10 a.m. Sunday, Aug. 17, 2014, at his home. He was born July 11, 1935, in Kokomo. His grandparents, William and Goldie Summers, raised him. On Sept. 1, 1956, Tom married
- Bee W. Snow Bee W. Snow, daughter of Clyde and Harriet West (Van Benthuysen), passed away Saturday, Aug. 16, 2014, at the age of 94. She was a resident at The Wellington at Kokomo. She was married to Burnill L. Snow on Dec. 31, 1936, and he preceded her in deat
- Ruth Brackney Ruth Brackney, 88, Zeeland, Michigan, passed away Thursday, June 19, 2014. Services will be at 11 a.m. Friday, Aug. 22, 2014, in Kokomo. To view a complete obituary or to share a memory or photo and to sign the family’s online guest book, visit www.s
- Thelma Gibson Feb. 17, 1920 - Aug. 18, 2014 Thelma Gibson, 94, Kokomo, passed away at 3 p.m. Monday, Aug. 18, 2014, at her home with her daughters by her side. She was born the daughter of Edward and Maud (Wignall) Goodchild on Feb. 17, 1920, in London, England. I
- Wanda Marie (Hayes) Kinzie March 25, 1939 - Aug. 17, 2014 Wanda Marie (Hayes) Kinzie, 75, Bunker Hill, passed away at 11 a.m. Sunday, Aug. 17, 2014, at Community Howard Regional Health in Kokomo, surrounded by her loving family. She was born in Ludington, Michigan, March 25, 1
- Funeral listings, Aug. 19, 2014 Long, Thomas Earl, services are 10 a.m. today at Shirley & Stout Funeral Homes & Crematory, Lincoln Road Chapel, 1315 W. Lincoln Road.Williams, the Rev. Harold E., services are 11 a.m. today at St. Luke’s United Methodist Church, 700 Southway Blvd. E
- Joseph William Francis Flood Jr. Feb. 24, 1936 - Aug. 16, 2014 Joseph William Francis Flood Jr., 78, Kokomo, passed away on Saturday, Aug. 16, 2014, at his home. He was born Feb. 24, 1936, in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, to Joseph W. and Regina (McDonough) Flood. On Dec. 8, 1956, he
- More Obituaries Headlines