Sept. 6, 1926 - Feb. 15, 2013
Lou Nell Howard
Oct. 6, 1930 - Feb. 15, 2013
Earle Howard, 86, and Lou Nell Howard, 82, passed away and went to Heaven together, Friday, Feb. 15, 2013, after lengthy illnesses. God answered their prayer that they would pass at the same time as they did not want to live without the other. Earle was born Sept. 6, 1926, the son of Theodore and Parele (Parker) Howard in Kokomo. She was born in Kokomo on Oct. 6, 1930, the daughter of Ernest and Jewel (Bell) Davis. She later became the stepdaughter of George Elson. On July 11, 1949, Earle and Lou Nell were married in Kokomo.
Earle was a graduate of Kokomo High School and went on to serve his country in the Army during World War II from 1944 to 1946. His military achievements included two Bronze Battle Stars, a Victory Medal, Good Conduct Medal, and Army of Occupation Medal Japan. He attained the rank of staff sergeant. Earle spent his career in public service starting with the Kokomo Police Department from 1950 to 1973 serving as a patrolman and retiring as police chief. He then joined the Howard County Sheriff Department from 1974 to 1986 serving as major under Sheriff Bob Sargent and later served two terms as Howard County Sheriff. Lastly, he served as Indiana State Representative in the Indiana General Assembly from 1986 to 1994. He also received commendation by the Indiana State Police.
He was a member of the First Church of the Nazarene, F.O.P., Elks, Kiwanis, Crisis Center Board and Salvation Army Board.
Lou Nell graduated from Kokomo High School and went on to have a 40-year career as a legal secretary for the law firm of Fell, McGarvey, Lacey, and Trauring. She also worked in the Recorder’s Office of Howard County for four years retiring in 1993. She was a member of the First Church of the Nazarene and the Red Hat Society.
They shared a love for their daughter’s Yorkshire terriers and often accompanied and traveled with her to dog shows.
Earle and Lou Nell are survived by their daughter, Julie Howard, Kokomo; Earle’s sister, Ada Conwell, Kokomo; a nephew, Patrick Meek, Chesterfield, and several other nieces and nephews.
He was preceded in death by his parents, three brothers and three sisters.
She was preceded in death by her parents; stepfather; sister, JoAnn Meek, Kokomo; and one nephew.
Funeral services will be 1 p.m. Tuesday at First Church of the Nazarene 2734 S. Washington St. Kokomo, with Pastor David Leeder officiating. Military rites will be provided by the U.S. Army and the Kokomo V.F.W. Military Rites Team following the funeral service. Private burial will be in Albright Cemetery at a later date. Friends may visit with the family from 2 to 8 p.m. Monday at Shirley & Stout Funeral Home & Crematory 1315 W. Lincoln Road, Kokomo, and one hour prior to services Tuesday at the church.
Memorial contributions may be made to First Church of the Nazarene or Guardian Angel Hospice. The family would like to thank Dr. Hussain and Guardian Angel Hospice for their care. Condolences may be left online at: www.shirleyandstout.com.
- Linda Carol Justice Linda Carol Justice, 49, Kokomo, passed away at 1:41 a.m. Thursday, Dec. 5, 2013, at Indiana University Hospital in Indianapolis. She was born on Jan. 22, 1964, in Miami, Fla., to Carl and Linda Gail Justice and they both survive. Linda attended Indi
- Funeral listings, Dec. 8, 2013 Coleman, Jerry W., a memorial service is 12:30 p.m. today at House of Prayer, 8125 Rawles Ave., Indianapolis. Bennett, Frederick "Fred" J., memorial services are 1 p.m. today at Sharon Baptist Church, 7012 E. 50 North, Flora. Raikes, Merlyn, services
- Dorothy M. Warnock Dorothy M. Warnock, 90, Kokomo, passed away at 7:45 p.m. Friday, Dec. 6, 2013, at Kindred Health Care. Visitation will be from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. Wednesday at Ellers Mortuary Main Street Chapel, 725 S. Main St. Services will be at 1 p.m. Wednesday als
- Gordon B. Gish Gordon Beck Gish, 87, died peacefully at his home Saturday morning, Nov. 23, 2013, after many years of battling COPD. Born in Los Angeles, Calif., on March 26, 1926, to Dwight Vernon and Louise Beck Gish, he was raised in both Cass and Tipton countie
- Betty J. Bagwell Betty J. Bagwell, 82, Kokomo, passed away at 12:33 p.m., Saturday, Dec. 7, 2013, at her residence. Funeral arrangements are pending with Ellers Mortuary Webster Street Chapel, Kokomo. Betty J. Bagwell
- Elsie Newhouse Elsie Newhouse, 83, Kokomo, passed away at 4:50 a.m. Wednesday, Dec. 4, 2013, at Kindred Transitional Care. She was born March 1, 1930, in Miami, Ind., the daughter of Floyd and Orpha (Fennell) Warner. She married James Gilbert Newhouse on Nov. 9, an
- Roosevelt Swygert Roosevelt Swygert Jr.,76, Kokomo, passed away at 7:45 a.m. Dec. 7, 2013, at Community Howard Regional Health. Arrangements pending with Bluitt & Son Funeral Home. Roosevelt Swygert
- Kenton Ardee Wilson Kenton Ardee Wilson, 61, Bloomington, formerly of Kokomo, passed away on Sunday, Dec. 1, 2013, in Tucson, Ariz., following an 11-month battle with cancer. Born in Kokomo on June 19, 1952, to Bonnie and Ardee Wilson, he was a 1970 graduate of Haworth
- Paulette E. Schoenberger Paulette E. Schoenberger, 62, Kokomo, passed away at 2:07 p.m. Sunday, Dec. 7, 2013, at her residence. Funeral arrangements are pending with Ellers Mortuary Webster Street Chapel, Kokomo. Paulette E. Schoenberger
- Jacqueline 'Jackie' Pierce Jacqueline "Jackie" M. Pierce, 84, Walton, passed away at 9:35 p.m. on Dec. 6, 2013, at Community Howard Regional Hospital. She was born on Oct. 31, 1929, to Elizabeth (Walbrecht) Freeman in Harlan County, Kentucky. On July 7, 1947, she married Earl
- More Obituaries Headlines