Fed up with gun violence in America
More than 10,000 Americans are killed every year by guns, and several thousand wounded. Guns are used for thousands of felony crimes. America is the most gun-violent nation of all civilized countries on Earth.
Ask yourself: Are we all safe? Are we really civilized? Are we resolute on a solution to gun violence?
I call the military assault rifles a true weapon of mass destruction. A definition of a weapon of mass destruction: Any weapon that can kill a large mass of people in a short period of time. This qualifies the military assault rifle as a WMD.
The NRA spokesman says to solve the gun violence at schools is give all teachers guns in every school in America, and let the teachers fire back at the bad guys.
Brilliant! Then we will have the OK Corral of Tombstone all over again.
I’m against guns in the classroom. Schools are a place for education. The NRA spokesman sounds to me like an old-fashion Archie Bunker who just got back from Disney World.
Any politician who does not vote to ban the military assault rifles won’t get my vote. We must come up with common sense laws to try to solve the gun violence in America.
All mass murderers need to be labled as cowards and traitors to our country. Maybe put the label on their tombstones. This is a very fitting label for their crimes.
Another big reason for the extreme gun violence in America is the Hollywood movies. The garbage Hollywood brings to our theaters, the extreme violence, the bloody, gory horror movies — a person would have to be really sick in the mind to call this top-of-the-line entertainment.
Along with the violent video games, there’s no doubt all of this is causing mental illness in some of our young people. It’s affecting their minds to a point where some of them become extremely violent. Hollywood’s violent movies greatly affect America’s gun-violent culture and must change or the violence will get worse.
The NRA wants no rules. Hollywood wants no rules. The drug users in America want no rules. Heck, make your own long list of groups that want no rules.
In America, if we have no common sense rules, we have no law and order. If we don’t have law and order, we have anarchy. America must try to solve gun violence or have anarchy.
Dave Gee, Kokomo
Fed up with gun violence in America
- A great way to offer help The United Way of Howard County does so much for this community that it would be difficult, in this space, to describe even a fraction of the things United Way donations accomplish.Think what Kokomo and Howard County would lose if there were no Court
- MARK HEINIG JR.: Will Pence, Ritz and their playmates ever grow up? Many Hoosier Republicans are curious about Gov. Mike Pence’s future. He probably is, too. Assuming he doesn’t wish to return to Congress or retire from politics, he must decide whether to seek another term as governor of Indiana or run for president
- LETTERS: Mast homestead celebrates 150 years Mast homestead celebrates 150 yearsThe two-story frame, Pennsylvania-Dutch style house on the Larry and Barbara Hensler farm 2 miles west of Plevna is 150 years old this year. In fact it may even be a little older than that. Lloyd Hensler used to say
- LEE HAMILTON: Why congressional incumbents keep getting re-elected It’s no news that Congress is unpopular. In fact, at times it seems like the only real novelty on Capitol Hill would be a jump in its approval rating. In June, a Gallup poll found members’ standing with the American people at a historic low for a mid
- Road must be made safer Eight months ago, the Indiana Department of Transportation opened the new U.S. 31 bypass east of Kokomo. Joining Mayor Greg Goodnight was Gov. Mike Pence. Even the Kokomo High School marching band performed at the ribbon-cutting ceremony. It was the
- SEN. JIM BUCK: New laws offer help for kids Families with children who have special needs often face difficulties finding the best care or treatment for their specific circumstance. During the 2014 legislative session, the Indiana General Assembly passed several initiatives to assist these fam
- LETTERS: Christians must stand with Israel 'As Christians we must stand with life' The present conflict in Israel is with Hamas, recognized even in Egypt as a terrorist organization. Recently Hamas formed a unity government with the Palestinian Authority in Gaza. They're now the government in
- BILL STANCZYKIEWICZ: Youth sports leagues are on troubling decline An important youth development activity is looking to end a recent losing streak. Participation in organized youth sports leagues for baseball, football, basketball and soccer declined by 4 percent between 2008-2012, according to a report in the Wall
Keep eye out for kids
With most local schools welcoming students in a couple of weeks — and Kokomo schools beginning class Aug. 5 (yes, a week from this coming Tuesday) — it’s important for motorists to think about safe driving as children travel to and from school.Law en
- MAUREEN HAYDEN: Expiring term heightens urgency of legislator's mission State Rep. Rebecca Kubacki had plans for her return to the General Assembly next January.The two-term Republican from Kosciusko County wanted to exert “full force” to roll back a law that prevents the children of undocumented immigrants from paying i
- More Opinion Headlines