House of Burgess: 'You gotta give them hope'
Editor’s Note: November is the 35th anniversary of the Jonestown massacre (Nov. 18), the 50th anniversary of the assassination of President John F. Kennedy (Nov. 22) and the 35th anniversary of the assassinations of Supervisor Harvey Milk and Mayor George Moscone (today). This is the third in a series of three columns exploring each.
- CECIL BOHANON: The middle class in 'red' and 'blue' states Recent census data indi-cates that although the total number of households in the United States increased between 2008 and 2011, the number reporting earned annual income of $35,000 to $100,000 actually decreased by 676,000. This is significant becau
- TOM LoBIANCO: Economic concerns top lawmakers' upcoming session Indiana lawmakers will be dealing with two broad categories of issues when they reconvene next year: Battles they would gladly take on and those they would rather avoid. Amending Indiana's gay marriage ban into the state constitution and stepping int
- Nov. 25, 2013: Letters to the editor 'The most amazing group of people' I would like to sincerely thank the Kokomo Police Department for the amazing job they did Sunday, Nov. 17, and all these days following. My daughter, who has special needs, lives in a staffed home with two other in
- BRIAN HOWEY: Indiana needs a comprehensive health strategy Indiana needs a compre-hensive, statewide health strategy. When it comes to the relative health and well-being of the 6.5 million Hoosiers -- collectively rated as the 41st most healthy population in the U.S. and down from 37th a few years before --
- DICK WOLFSIE: Round figures The call was from Sara at the bank. She sounded concerned … "Mr. Wolfsie, I wanted to let you know as quickly as I could. It's about your checking account." "I think I know why you're calling," I said, dreading the worst. "How much are we talking abo
- Nov. 25, 2013: Weekly Wrap Ritz, opponents must cease fire No challenges facing this state are more essential to confront and conquer than to improve student achievement, to provide access for all students to high-quality schools and to dramatically increase the education leve
- Drive safe this week Lots of Hoosiers will head out of town to visit family and friends this holiday week. The AAA auto club forecasts 38.9 million Americans traveling by car -- a 1.6 percent decline from last year. AAA officials suggest "the sluggish pace of the [econom
- Nov. 24, 2013: Letters to the editor Food pantry offers little in nutrition Food pantries. Also known as food banks. They are organized to provide a source of food for those of us down on our luck for whatever reason and however long. I am one of those who found himself in such a positi
- ED VASICEK: Proud and thankful this holiday season Many people saw their homes, cars and businesses devastated by tornadoes and dangerous winds a week ago today. Most surpris-ing -- especially when viewing photos or driving through the mangled neighborhoods -- is the revelation that no one was kille
- More Opinion Headlines
- House of Burgess: 'You gotta give them hope'