NCC statement says expansion still a goal
The North Central Conference on Tuesday released a statement to address the recent decisions by Huntington North and New Castle to leave the conference. Huntington North will leave following the 2014-15 school year for a yet unnamed conference in Northeast Indiana. New Castle will leave following the 2013-14 school year for the Hoosier Heritage Conference.
The statement noted the league “is neither surprised nor disappointed” by the decisions, adding that Huntington North and New Castle officials were open with their thoughts during the decision process. The outgoing schools will be ineligible for NCC championships and awards during their lame-duck years, per the league’s constitution.
Harrison, Lafayette Jeff and McCutcheon will join the NCC in 2014-15. And, the league maintains a goal of further expansion according to the statement.
Western players top county baseball stats
Western’s baseball team enjoyed a big season. The Panthers had a perfect run to the Mid-Indiana Conference championship and won Class 3A sectional and regional titles. They finished with a 23-6 record.
Western’s strong play shows in the final Howard County statistics. Marcus Pingleton sets the pace in three offensive categories, Drew Bellus and Dakota LaMott also top offensive categories and Ronnie Smith, Evan Warden and Austin Weaver figure prominently in the pitching categories.
Pingleton finished No. 1 in the county in batting average (.565), runs (50) and on-base percentage (.680). In addition, Pingleton ranks in the top five in RBI (27), triples (2), home runs (5) and stolen bases (10). Bellus tops the RBI chart (30) and LaMott won the home-run title (7).
Like Pingleton, Taylor’s Logan Barnes had a superb all-around offensive season. Barnes finished No. 2 in batting average (.500), RBI (29), doubles (8), homers (6), stolen bases (13) and on-base percentage (.620) and No. 3 in runs (30).
On the pitching side, Weaver finished No. 1 in ERA (0.97) and Smith led the county in wins, finishing with a 9-2 record. Smith and Warden finished 1-2 in strikeouts with 75 and 74, respectively.
Check Wednesday's print edition for a complete look at the final county stats.
RYBL squads rolling in minor tourney
Russiaville Youth Baseball League squads make up the bulk of the Final Four in the Joe’s Jerky Howard County Minor League Tournament. Mike’s Italian Grill, Fast Lane Foods and Eriks Chevrolet all won quarterfinal games Tuesday.
Tonight, Mike’s plays UCT squad Alternative Heating in the 6 p.m. semifinal at Greentown. And in the second semifinal, Fast Lane Foods and Eriks Chevrolet meet at 8 p.m. — fittingly, at Russiaville. The winners will advance to the final, which is set for 7 p.m. Thursday at UCT.
In Tuesday’s quarterfinal games, Mike’s beat Fazoli’s of Eastside 6-5; Fast Lane Foods beat fellow RYBL squad First Farmers Bank 18-5; and Eriks beat fellow RYBL squad Bullpen 5-3. Alternative Heating beat Hearn Dental in an all-UCT matchup.
New Eastern coach sets boys basketball camp
GREENTOWN — The Eastern boys basketball camp will run from Monday to June 21 next week. Boys in grades 3-5 will participate from 12:30-2:30, and boys in grades 6-7 will participate from 2:30-4:30. The cost of the camp is $30, and family plans are available.
Direct questions to Eastern coach Mike Springer at Mike.Springer@eastern.k12.in.us.
NCC statement says expansion still a goal
- Sixers begin state tourney play today The Kokomo Post 6 baseball squad heads to the American Legion state tournament at Plymouth today brimming with confidence. That’s good and bad.“I believe every time we step on the field our kids believe they are the team to beat,” said Kokomo skipper
- Sports briefs for Tuesday, July 29 Northwestern sets 1st practice timesNorthwestern has announced its first practice times and dates for high school and middle school sports. All athletes must have a valid 2014-15 physical on file in the athletic office to participate. The times and d
- QB Luck making progress ANDERSON — Wind chill estimates put the temperature at 59 degrees Monday morning at Anderson University.During one stretch of his fifth training camp practice of the year, however, it likely felt much colder to Andrew Luck.The Indianapolis Colts quar
- Colts part ways with Rainey after violation ANDERSON — Just two days after earning praise for his playmaking ability from head coach Chuck Pagano, running back Chris Rainey was waived by the Indianapolis Colts on Monday morning.The news was broken in a press release around 8:30 a.m. and later
- Athlete of the Week: Tionna Brown ATHLETE OF THE WEEK• NAME: Tionna Brown• SPORT: Track and field• ACCOMPLISHMENTS: The Kokomo seventh grader won three events at the USA Track and Field Junior Olympic national meet in Humble, Texas, in her first appearance at a national meet. Brown w
- Brown wins 3rd title at nationals HUMBLE, Texas — Kokomo middle schooler Tionna Brown surged to first in the 100 meter dash at the USA Track and Field Junior Olympic national meet Sunday, capping the weekend with her third championship.Competing in the girls 11-12-year-old division,
- NEER: Starting and sustaining your workouts Here we go again, hoping to start your workout plan again on Monday. This time your plan is to make it stick, keep with it, follow through. Hopefully it will work.
- It's 'Jeff Gordon Day' at IMS for record 5th time INDIANAPOLIS (AP) — With a fifth Brickyard 400 victory on the line Sunday, Jeff Gordon looked like the driver he was 20 years ago. Gordon nailed the final restart of the race — no given because restarts have been Gordon's Achilles heel — to pass Hen
- Kids fishing clinic is a blast for all The seasons come and go, but the excitement, challenge, allure and joy remain the same — off the chart. There are memorable moments, then there are occasions and special events that become tattoos for life.Still, joy is where you find it, and Saturda
- Sports briefs for Sunday, July 27 Brown takes 2 titles at junior nationalsHUMBLE, Texas — Kokomo middle schooler Tionna Brown won two championships Saturday at the USA Track and Field Junior Olympic national meet. She won the 200 dash and the long jump.Brown avenged an earlier loss
- More Sports Headlines