---- — Sebree has big game for Cochise
DOUGLAS, Az. — Former Kokomo basketball player LaBradford Sebree posted a big game Saturday for Cochise College in a 96-88 victory over Glendale Community College.
Sebree, a freshman, had career highs of 20 points and 10 rebounds for the Apaches. Cochise improved to 5-6 overall with the victory and 4-3 in the Arizona Community College Athletic Conference.
NCC meets with Arsenal Tech, Guerin
The principals and athletic directors of North Central Conference schools met with representatives of Indianapolis Arsenal Technical and Guerin Catholic at the IHSAA buidling in Indianapolis on Thursday to discuss possible membership of those schools in the NCC, the league announced in a press release on Thursday. Both schools made a presentation to the group and discussed their interest in joining the conference.
NCC officials plan to visit both schools in the near future. No timetable was given on extending an invitation to any school.
Northwestern YBL sets board meeting date
The Northwestern Youth Baseball League has scheduled a board meeting for Dec. 19 in the Northwestern Elementary School art room. The meeting will include discussion on 2014 registration dates, fees and fundraisers.
ND’s Diaco picked as new UConn coach
STORRS, Conn. (AP) — Bob Diaco made quite an impression in his first news conference as UConn’s head football coach.
The former Notre Dame defensive coordinator was introduced Thursday after signing a five-year, $8 million deal. His salary will rise from $1.5 million in the first year to $1.7 million in the fifth.
An enthusiastic Diaco quoted everyone from St. Augustine (in Latin) to Garth Brooks in explaining how he plans to build the Huskies into a championship program.
Diaco said the winning will start immediately, whether that is in the classroom or offseason conditioning, but could not say how soon that might translate into bowl games or championships.
The 40-year-old Diaco says he will meet with the current UConn coaching staff before deciding on his staff.
The Huskies went 3-9 this season.
U.S. soccer, coach, agree to extension
Even before leading the United States in a difficult first-round group at next year’s World Cup, Jurgen Klinsmann has been signed to stay on as the American coach for the 2018 World Cup.
The U.S. Soccer Federation said Thursday that Klinsmann has agreed to a four-year contract extension through 2018.
Klinsmann replaced Bob Bradley as the American national team coach in July 2011 and his new deal gives him the additional title of USSF technical director.
“One of the reasons we hired Jurgen as our head coach was to advance the program forward, and we’ve seen the initial stages of that happening on the field and also off the field in various areas,” USSF President Sunil Gulati said in a statement. “In the past two years he has built a strong foundation from the senior team down to the youth teams, and we want to continue to build upon that success.”
The U.S. is 27-10-7 under Klinsmann, qualified for its seventh straight World Cup and won this year’s CONCACAF Gold Cup, the championship of North and Central America and the Caribbean.
He said in April he hoped to stay on for another four-year cycle but also said the World Cup would be key and his term “depends on how the team presents itself, how they play, what really happens in the games.”
The U.S. was drawn last week into the most difficult first-round group for next June’s tournament in Brazil, where the Americans play Ghana, Portugal and Germany.
– The Associated Press