Kokomo Tribune; Kokomo, Indiana

December 14, 2013

Sports briefs, Dec. 14


Kokomo Tribune

---- — KHS offering tickets for Marion game

Citing a high interest in the game, Kokomo High School’s athletic office will sell advance tickets for the Marion-Kokomo boys basketball game, set for Friday at Memorial Gym.

Marion is led by Mr. Basketball candidate and IU recruit James Blackmon Jr. The Giants are 1-1 heading into a game against Columbia City tonight, weather permitting.

The athletic office will sell tickets from 7 a.m. to 3 p.m. Monday through Thursday and from 7 a.m. to noon on Friday. Gates will open at 5:30 p.m. on game night.

Maconaquah to host holiday tournament

BUNKER HILL — Maconaquah High School will host the Beef O’Brady’s/Papa John’s Holiday basketball tournaments on Dec. 27-28. Pre-sale tickets are available at Maconaquah, Peru and North Miami and also Beef O’Brady’s. Tickets are priced at $15 and are good for all four sessions.

The Dec. 27 lineup shows Maconaquah-Peru girls at 1 p.m. and Whitko-North Miami girls at 3 p.m. in session one, and Whitko-Maconaquah boys at 6 p.m. and Peru-North Miami boys at 8 p.m in session two.

Single-session tickets will be sold at the door the day of the games for $5.

QB Golson is back at Notre Dame

SOUTH BEND (AP) — Quarterback Everett Golson has been readmitted to Notre Dame after being suspended for the fall semester for what he termed “poor judgment on a test” after helping the Fighting Irish get to the national championship game a season ago.

Golson was officially readmitted Friday afternoon, said Paul Browne, Notre Dame vice president for public affairs and communications. Coach Brian Kelly previously had said he hoped Golson could practice with the Irish during bowl preparation, but last week said there wasn’t enough time because Golson isn’t eligible until Dec. 21 and the team leaves for the Pinstripe Bowl in New York City on Dec. 23.

Kelly said Golson, who has two years of eligibility left, would not travel with the team to the bowl, but said Golson might be in New York around that time.

Ganassi hires Briscoe to drive fourth car

INDIANAPOLIS (AP) — Ryan Briscoe kept waiting for a full-time IndyCar opening.

He finally got his wish — with the series’ top team.

The former Indianapolis 500 pole winner was hired by Chip Ganassi on Friday as the fourth driver on the series’ most dominant team and just eight days after Briscoe and his wife welcomed a new baby girl, Finley. Briscoe will fill the vacancy left by Dario Franchitti’s retirement.

“Nope, there’s nothing left on my Christmas list,” Briscoe said with a laugh after the three-year deal was announced. “That’s it.”

Briscoe, an Australian, won’t need many introductions at team headquarters.

He’ll join New Zealand’s Scott Dixon, the reigning series champ who will chase a fourth career points title in 2014; newly-hired Brazilian Tony Kanaan, the reigning Indianapolis 500 champ who is moving into Franchitti’s familiar No. 10 car, and Charlie Kimball, who won his first race at Mid-Ohio last summer and is arguably the best young American in the series.

Plus, Briscoe returns to the team that introduced him to IndyCar racing in 2005. Briscoe spent one season with Target Chip Ganassi, but the two sides parted ways after the season and weren’t reunited again until May when Briscoe, the 2012 Indy 500 pole winner, drove the No. 8 car to a season-best 12th.