The City of Firsts USBC Asso-ciation regrets to tell the bowling community that the city mixed tourn-ament has been canceled. The reason — there were not enough entries to make it to make it feasible. There needed to be at least 15 teams to cover the cost of lineage, awards and paperwork.
Hopefully in the future this tournament will draw more interest and become an event again.
In other bowling news:
• Entry forms for the senior tournament should be in the centers this week. The entry deadline is Nov. 10. The tournament will be rolled at Don Lowry Lanes, at 3 p.m. on Nov. 23 and at 1 p.m. on Nov. 24. The tournament will consist of singles and doubles. You can bowl doubles more than once, but it must be with a different partner. Remember, you must be at least 50 years old to participate in this tournament. There will be different age brackets for men and for women. If you have any questions about the entry form, there should be a board member available at the start of all leagues who should be able to help. So get your partner, pick your time, get your entry form and get signed up.
• Ladies, the Midwest Tournament is filling fast and if you want a special time, you better get your entry in quick. The entry deadline isn’t until April but at this time there are already more than 300 entries. This has become a very popular tournament and with it being in our state this year, the entries are likely up because Indiana is in the center of the six states that host it on a rotating basis. The organizers are hoping there will be more than 1,000 teams entered this year. So if you and your team plan on going, get your team entered before it’s too late.
• Entry forms for the city tournament should be in the centers by the middle to the end of November. The tournament is the last weekend of February and the first weekend of March. So be prepared and get those teams ready.
• I don’t know if any of you have heard or not, but the United States Bowling Congress has decided next year it will do away with most of the awards and is leaving the awards up to the local associations. The City of Firsts USBC Association is going through the surveys that the bowlers filled out to decide what to do about the awards. There were many suggestions made by board members and maybe you can help! If you know of a company or companies that would like to sponsor awards next year, please contact Gary Trent at 765-271-6937 or Gary Exmeyer at 765-438-3732. Again, this is just a thought and if a company decides to sponsor an award or awards, we will make sure that they are mentioned at every opportunity.
• Secretaries, if there are any high scores or series, please email me and let me know so we can recognize the bowler and let everyone know of the accomplishment.
Cyndy Trent is the Tribune’s bowling columnist. She may be reached by email at email@example.com.