---- — Eastern makes hoops scheduling changes
GREENTOWN — Eastern’s boys and girls basketball teams’ have made changes to their upcoming schedules.
On Friday, the girls home game against Clinton Central will be varsity only and will start at 7 p.m.
On Saturday, the boys home game against Eastbrook was slated to be a freshman-JV-varsity tripleheader, but will now be JV-varsity only. The JV game is set to start at 6 p.m.
NFL hits Steelers’ Tomlin with hefty fine
PITTSBURGH (AP) — Steelers coach Mike Tomlin has been fined $100,000 for interfering with a play against the Baltimore Ravens on Thanksgiving.
The NFL also said Wednesday that it would consider docking Pittsburgh a draft pick “because the conduct affected a play on the field.”
In the third quarter of the Ravens’ 22-20 win last Thursday, Tomlin was standing on the restricted white border between the sideline and field during Jacoby Jones’ kickoff return. Jones had to swerve to avoid colliding with the coach and was tackled after a 73-yard return that might have gone for a touchdown if not for the obstruction. Tomlin briefly stepped onto the field before he jumped back.
He was not penalized during the game for the rule violation.
Tomlin said Tuesday he was “mesmerized” by watching the return on the video board and would accept any punishment.
Investigation of FSU’s Winston complete
TALLAHASSEE, Fla. (AP) — The prosecutor overseeing the investigation of sexual assault allegations against Florida State quarterback Jameis Winston says it is completed.
State Attorney Willie Meggs has scheduled a news conference at 2 p.m. Thursday in his office to announce his findings.
Meggs says investigators have learned as much as they can about the December 2012 incident.
ESPN first reported that the investigation had been completed.
A lawyer for Winston has suggested that the star quarterback and the accuser had consensual sex. But the family of the victim has accused the 19-year-old of rape.
Meggs has said he wanted to make sure prosecutors completed a thorough investigation before making a final decision. He has also said several times that it’s up to prosecutors to determine whether there is a “reasonable” chance of conviction.
Winston, Alabama’s AJ McCarron and Texas A&M’s Johnny Manziel are among the five finalists for the Walter Camp player of the year award, which was announced Wednesday.
Konerko stays with Sox on 1-year deal
CHICAGO (AP) — Veteran slugger Paul Konerko is returning to the Chicago White Sox.
The team announced Wednesday that the six-time American League All-Star agreed to a one-year, $2.5 million contract, opting to come back for another season rather than retire or sign elsewhere.
The 37-year-old Konerko will receive $1.5 million in 2014 and $1 million in 2021 under the deal. He will also be paid $1 million annually from 2014 to 2020 under the contract he signed in December 2010.
He dealt with a back issue and batted .244 with just 12 homers and 54 RBIs. Konerko, who in 15 seasons with the White Sox ranks second on the franchise list to Frank Thomas in homers and RBIs, will back up Abreu at first base and see time at designated hitter along with Adam Dunn.
A .281 hitter over 17 major league seasons, Konerko was acquired from Cincinnati in November 1998. He has hit all but seven of his 434 homers with the White Sox, and he helped them win the World Series championship in 2005 — the franchise’s first since 1917.