Pingleton, Barnes earn all-state selections
The Indiana High School Baseball Coaches Association on Monday night announced its 2013 all-state teams and a pair of Howard County players received first-team honors.
Western outfielder Marcus Pingleton made the Class 3A team for the second straight year, and Taylor shortstop Logan Barnes made the Class 2A team.
Pingleton led Western to a 23-6 record, the Mid-Indiana Conference championship and sectional and regional titles. The Panther senior batted .565 in 29 games and compiled five home runs, five doubles, two triples, 10 stolen bases, 27 RBI and 50 runs scored. He had an on-base percentage of .680.
Barnes led Taylor to a 13-12 record. The Titan senior batted .500 in 25 games with six home runs, eight doubles, 13 stolen bases, 29 RBI and 30 runs scored. He had a .620 on-base percentage. Barnes also had a nice season on the mound, posting a 5-3 record with a 2.23 ERA.
Callane is Hall of Fame’s pick for president
NEW CASTLE — The Indiana Basketball Hall of Fame on Monday announced the election of new officers, to serve terms beginning next Monday.
Kokomo’s Jim Callane was elected to a two-year term as president. Callane is a 2008 Hall of Fame inductee. He is a graduate of Rushville High School (1960) and DePauw University (1964), having played under Hall of Fame coaches Les Ray (Rushville) and Elmer McCall (DePauw).
Callane coached at Danville, Linton and Haworth high schools. He later spent 18 years as Kokomo’s athletic director before retiring.
Also elected to positions were Sam Alford (executive vice president) and Steve Witty (secretary). Ray Pavy remains the treasurer.
Callane is a longtime supporter of the Hall of Fame. He previously held the executive VP role and also has served as secretary.
Andrews fares well in state Junior Olympics
Cinnamon Andrews, an incoming Kokomo High School freshman, recently qualified for the United States Track and Field Region 7 Junior Olympics meet.
Andrews, 14, punched her ticket by placing eighth in the 1,500-meter run at the Indiana Junior Olympics Championships at Wabash University. Her time of 5:25.23 marked a 29-second improvement from what she ran last year.
The Region 7 meet is set for July 11-14 at Joliet, Ill., and will bring together athletes from Indiana, Illinois, Michigan, Ohio, West Virginia, Kentucky, the Dakotas, Iowa, Nebraska, Wisconsin and Minnesota.
The top athletes from Region 7 will advance to the USATF National Junior Olympics Championships, July 22-28 at Greensboro, N.C.
Post 6 baseball set to host Greentown tonight
The Kokomo Post 6 senior baseball team will host Greentown Post 317 at 7 p.m. in an American Legion game today at CFD Investments Stadium in Highland Park. The squads will play a nine-inning game.
Post 6 (7-6) won its Summer Classic over the weekend. The Sixers went 3-0 in the round-robin tournament, beating Greentown 10-0 in four innings along the way.
Russiaville softball squad enjoying big season
Russiaville Girls Softball League squad Hometown Tax Service has racked up a nice collection of hardware.
HTS won the Howard County 8-and-under tournament last week. HTS beat Coen of Greentown 11-8 in seven innings in the final at Greentown. Olivia Shoemaker, Allison Coffman and Ali Tharp fueled a three-run rally in the extra frame to help HTS secure the title. Coffman finished with two home runs, a triple and a single. Shoemaker was 4 for 4 with two doubles. Tharp was 3 for 4 with two doubles. Sophia Moreno added two doubles and a single and Madisyn Connolly chipped in two singles.
The Howard County tournament brought together 29 teams from the five local leagues — Russiaville, Greentown, Kokomo, Northwestern and Taylor.
The Hometown Tax squad earlier won Russiaville’s 8-and-under regular-season and tournament titles. The other members of the team are Isabel Tressler, Myan Minns, Alexis Dollens, Chloe Hunt, Siena Stone and Addyson Tate.
Eads hits hole in one at Wildcat Creek
Donald Eads recorded a hole in one Monday at Wildcat Creek G.C. He used a 5-wood to ace No. 7, which plays 130 yards.
Dale Daniels witnessed the shot.
Pingleton, Barnes earn all-state selections
- Report: Taylor, Eastern to leave Mid-Indiana Conf. For the first time in over a decade, the Mid-Indiana Conference appears to be receiving a facelift. Taylor High School athletic director Karen Franklin announced early Wednesday afternoon in a press release that Taylor and Eastern Community Schools w
- BASKETBALL: Tri-Central preview On the surface, the 2013-14 Tri-Central boys basketball season could be a pleasant surprise, that is if coach Kyle Zahn's optimism stemming from seven returning lettermen is any indication.
- Prep Roundup: Thursday, Dec. 12 Kokomo's boys swimming team put forth a dominant effort Wednesday night against an undermanned Marion squad, winning 11 events in a 145-23 victory over the Giants. Nathan Banush led the Wildkats (2-0 in dual meets) as a triple winner. He won the 200
- DE LA BASTIDE: Armstrong to drive for 'The King' in 2014 New Castle native Dakoda Armstrong has taken a big step in advancing his NASCAR career by signing a contract for 2014 with Richard Petty Motorsports.
Western girls grab history-laden win at Memorial Gym
Class 3A No. 2-ranked Western led wire to wire in beating Kokomo 40-21 in a girls basketball game Tuesday night at Memorial Gym. The 50th all-time meeting in the rivalry series turned into a Western party. Consider: • The Panthers earned their first
- Hot Dogs turn back Tigers Northwestern's boys basketball team walked out of Case Arena with something tangible, and something intangible Tuesday night.
- Tipton bounces back from loss, beats rival Elwood It wasn’t the prettiest at times, but the Tipton boys basketball team's 43-38 win at Elwood on Tuesday night served as a much-needed bounceback game for the Blue Devils following Saturday’s lopsided 71-41 loss at unbeaten Frankton.
- Prep Roundup: Dec. 11 Shooting woes plagued Taylor's girls basketball once again in a 51-24 loss to Northfield on Tuesday night at Wabash.
- Sports briefs, Dec. 11 The Indiana Football Coaches Association on Tuesday released its 2013 all-state football teams and 18 KT-area players earned recognition.
- Sports briefs, Dec. 10 Kokomo visits Muncie Central on Friday for the first North Central Conference game of the season. Also on Friday, there are three Mid-Indiana Conference matchups and a Hoosier Heartland Conference game — Western at Eastern, Northwestern at Taylor and Hamilton Heights at Cass in the MIC and Sheridan at Clinton Central in the HHC.
- More Sports Headlines