Kokomo Tribune; Kokomo, Indiana

March 28, 2014

Sports Briefs for Friday, March 28


— Area cagers earn Top 60, all-state honors

Hoosier Basketball Magazine and the Indiana Basketball Coaches Associated released their Top 60 Workout and all-state boys teams, respectively, Thursday, with several area standouts earning recognition.

Kokomo seniors Tayler Persons and Erik Bowen were both selected as part of the Top 60 senior boys, and will participate in the Top 60 workout April 6 at Marian University in Indianapolis.

Selections from primarily northern and southern Indiana will participate in the day’s first session at 1 p.m., while the remaining players will compete in the second session at 3:30.

Both sessions are open to the public. Admission costs $7.

Persons was one of 15 selected to the IBCA-Subway Senior All-State first team. Bowen and Lewis Cass’ Austin Keisling were Senior All-State honorable-mention selections.

Peru’s Seth Adelsperger, Western’s Des Balentine, Cass’ Ryan Bixler, Tipton’s Mason Degenkolb, Carroll’s Brandon Dillion and Clinton Central’s Jake Burton were all named to the Underclassmen All-State honorable-mention team.

Ravens’ Rice indicted on assault charge

ATLANTIC CITY, N.J. (AP) — Baltimore Ravens running back Ray Rice has been indicted on a charge he assaulted his fiancee during an argument in an elevator at an Atlantic City, N.J., casino last month.

Rice had been charged with simple assault after police said he knocked out Janay Palmer on Feb. 15 at the Revel Casino. But a grand jury Thursday indicted him on a more serious count of aggravated assault, which carries a three-to-five-year sentence.

Palmer also had been charged with simple assault. But prosecutors say that complaint was administratively dismissed.

The couple live in the Baltimore suburb of Reistertown.

Palmer’s attorney has said he’s certain no crime was committed.

Rice’s attorney, Michael Diamondstein, tells The Press of Atlantic City that Rice “vehemently denies” the charge and that the couple are happy and in counseling.

Titans agree to multiyear deal with LB Phillips

NASHVILLE, Tenn. (AP) — The Tennessee Titans have agreed to a multiyear deal with linebacker Shaun Phillips.

The Titans announced the deal Thursday.

The 10-year veteran out of Purdue ranks ninth with 79½ sacks over the past decade in the NFL. He also has forced 22 forced fumbles in 152 career games with his first nine seasons in San Diego. The 6-foot-3, 255-pound linebacker played all 16 games for Denver last season with 10 sacks, 36 tackles, an interception and two forced fumbles.

General manager Ruston Webster says Phillips is a flexible linebacker who adds to the Titans’ pass rush with his play and experience.

Phillips has missed only eight games in his career. He becomes the second linebacker Tennessee has signed this month who played for Denver last season, joining Wesley Woodyard.

Reds’ Cueto to start opening day in Cincy

GOODYEAR, Ariz. (AP) — Johnny Cueto is set to start on opening day for the Cincinnati Reds for the third straight season.

First-year manager Bryan Price said Thursday that Cueto will pitch Monday at home against St. Louis.

Price had to sort through a series of minor injuries, including Cueto’s tender right shoulder, before making the final determination. Cueto missed a turn this spring because of soreness.

Tony Cingrani will pitch the second game. He was the only starter in the rotation without an injury issue this spring.

Homer Bailey was skipped with a sore right groin and Mike Leake had slight pain in his abdomen. Either Bailey or Leake will start the third game.

Mat Latos will miss at least one start after minor elbow and knee surgery. Alfredo Simon will start the fifth game in New York against the Mets.