Tipton to play game at Huntington North
The IHSAA on Sunday announced times and locations for its boys basketball semistate games.
The Class 2A northern semistate between No. 2-ranked Tipton (25-2) and No. 7 Bowman Academy (16-9) is set for 1 p.m. Saturday at Huntington North. The winner will advance to the state finals.
GVSU’s Donson earns All-American honors
BIRMINGHAM, Ala. — Eastern High School product Blake Donson made a splash in the NCAA Division II indoor track and field championships last week.
Donson, a redshirt freshman at Grand Valley State in Michigan, took sixth in the weight throw with a personal-best throw of 61 feet, 11 1/2 inches. He came away with All-American honors on the strength of finishing in the top eight.
Donson had the best showing of any freshman in the event.
Local track squads compete in HSR
MARION — Local track and field teams completed the last section of the Hoosier State Relay qualifying meets Saturday at Indiana Weslyan University.
Kokomo’s girls team had a pair of strong showings. Summer Blackamore won the shot put with an effort of 38 feet, 3 1/4 inches and the 800-meter relay team of Ma-Ryssa Martin, Brayanna Fowler, Iesha Wallace and Raven Pugh placed second in 1:49.22.
Eastern’s boys team also had some strong showings. Grant Cole won the long jump with a leap of 22 feet, 4 3/4 inches. The 3,200 relay team of Lewis Duke, Josh Summers, Adam Schaaf and Sam Higdon was second in 8:28.18. And, James Reed was fourth in shot put with a toss of 46-1 1/2.
Athletes with top-24 performances from the qualifying meets will compete Saturday in the finals Saturday at IWU.
Youth softball team schedules tryouts
LOGANSPORT — The Rockets 8-and-under girls coach-pitch softball team will hold tryouts from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. Saturday at Landis Elementary in Logansport. Interested girls should bring their own glove, helmet and bat and wear gym-appropriate shoes.
For further information, parents should call Dan Johansen at 574-355-6209.
Tipton to play game at Huntington North
- COLTS: It's time to go to work There's a different kind of buzz surrounding the Indianapolis Colts as they prepare to report for training camp today at Anderson University.
- Panthers' Balentine working to get back to his best Western boys basketball standout Des Balentine looked right at home in Richard R. Gymnasium as he went through some shooting drills Tuesday afternoon.
- DE LA BASTIDE: Brickyard has many contenders Before the winner of this Sunday’s Brickyard 400 at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway gets the chance to kiss the bricks, media members will be complaining about the race.
- BOWMAN: Clauson repeats as ISW champion Noblesville open-wheel standout Bryan Clauson used steady consistency throughout the 2014 running of the Indiana Sprint Week for the USAC Amsoil National Sprint Car Series to earn his second straight ISW title.
- Manziel scores as NFL's top-selling jersey CLEVELAND (AP) — Second on Cleveland's depth chart, Johnny Manziel already tops one NFL list. The popular rookie quarterback, who will begin his first training camp this week as a backup, had the league's top-selling jersey since April 1. The league
- Sports briefs for Tuesday, July 22 Kokomo’s Tionna Brown is set to compete in the USA Track and Field National Junior Olympic Championships this week at Humble, Texas.
- Sixers close with split The Kokomo Post 6 senior baseball squad split a doubleheader against Highland Post 180 on Sunday at CFD Investments Stadium in Highland Park, putting the wraps on a successful regular season.
- White is Athlete of the Week White played well in the Boys State Junior Championship at the Bloomington C.C.
- Sports briefs for Monday, July 21 Three Howard County youth baseball all-star squads are advancing to Cal Ripken Ohio Valley Regional tournaments.
- MARTINO: Poison ivy is prevalent in summer “Looks like you got into some poison ivy again,” I said to my mother last week. It was easy to tell as a red rash covered her arms and her face was painfully swollen. She is one of those people who loves being outdoors yet highly allergic to the common plant. Sometimes I believe she can get the rash by simply looking at the noxious weed.
- More Sports Headlines