Tipton to play game at Huntington North
The IHSAA on Sunday announced times and locations for its boys basketball semistate games.
The Class 2A northern semistate between No. 2-ranked Tipton (25-2) and No. 7 Bowman Academy (16-9) is set for 1 p.m. Saturday at Huntington North. The winner will advance to the state finals.
GVSU’s Donson earns All-American honors
BIRMINGHAM, Ala. — Eastern High School product Blake Donson made a splash in the NCAA Division II indoor track and field championships last week.
Donson, a redshirt freshman at Grand Valley State in Michigan, took sixth in the weight throw with a personal-best throw of 61 feet, 11 1/2 inches. He came away with All-American honors on the strength of finishing in the top eight.
Donson had the best showing of any freshman in the event.
Local track squads compete in HSR
MARION — Local track and field teams completed the last section of the Hoosier State Relay qualifying meets Saturday at Indiana Weslyan University.
Kokomo’s girls team had a pair of strong showings. Summer Blackamore won the shot put with an effort of 38 feet, 3 1/4 inches and the 800-meter relay team of Ma-Ryssa Martin, Brayanna Fowler, Iesha Wallace and Raven Pugh placed second in 1:49.22.
Eastern’s boys team also had some strong showings. Grant Cole won the long jump with a leap of 22 feet, 4 3/4 inches. The 3,200 relay team of Lewis Duke, Josh Summers, Adam Schaaf and Sam Higdon was second in 8:28.18. And, James Reed was fourth in shot put with a toss of 46-1 1/2.
Athletes with top-24 performances from the qualifying meets will compete Saturday in the finals Saturday at IWU.
Youth softball team schedules tryouts
LOGANSPORT — The Rockets 8-and-under girls coach-pitch softball team will hold tryouts from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. Saturday at Landis Elementary in Logansport. Interested girls should bring their own glove, helmet and bat and wear gym-appropriate shoes.
For further information, parents should call Dan Johansen at 574-355-6209.
Tipton to play game at Huntington North
- Kokomo takes on unbeaten Muncie Central Kokomo's boys basketball team gets its first look at North Central Conference play today when the Wildkats visit Muncie Central. The Wildkats are 1-1 after a loss to Fishers last weekend. Central is 3-0 with wins over Muncie South, Yorktown and Fort
- Sports briefs for Friday, Dec. 13 Sebree has big game for Cochise DOUGLAS, Az. -- Former Kokomo basketball player LaBradford Sebree posted a big game Saturday for Cochise College in a 96-88 victory over Glendale Community College. Sebree, a freshman, had career highs of 20 points an
- Prep Roundup: Friday, Dec. 13 On a night that saw six weight classes forfeited, Eastern got the best of Western in Thursday's Howard County rivalry wrestling match in a 45-36 win in Greentown. Despite forfeiting five spots, the Comets (2-1) won seven of the eight contested matche
- Report: Taylor, Eastern to leave Mid-Indiana Conf. For the first time in over a decade, the Mid-Indiana Conference appears to be receiving a facelift. Taylor High School athletic director Karen Franklin announced early Wednesday afternoon in a press release that Taylor and Eastern Community Schools w
- BASKETBALL: Tri-Central preview On the surface, the 2013-14 Tri-Central boys basketball season could be a pleasant surprise, that is if coach Kyle Zahn's optimism stemming from seven returning lettermen is any indication.
- Prep Roundup: Thursday, Dec. 12 Kokomo's boys swimming team put forth a dominant effort Wednesday night against an undermanned Marion squad, winning 11 events in a 145-23 victory over the Giants. Nathan Banush led the Wildkats (2-0 in dual meets) as a triple winner. He won the 200
- DE LA BASTIDE: Armstrong to drive for 'The King' in 2014 New Castle native Dakoda Armstrong has taken a big step in advancing his NASCAR career by signing a contract for 2014 with Richard Petty Motorsports.
Western girls grab history-laden win at Memorial Gym
Class 3A No. 2-ranked Western led wire to wire in beating Kokomo 40-21 in a girls basketball game Tuesday night at Memorial Gym. The 50th all-time meeting in the rivalry series turned into a Western party. Consider: • The Panthers earned their first
- Hot Dogs turn back Tigers Northwestern's boys basketball team walked out of Case Arena with something tangible, and something intangible Tuesday night.
- Tipton bounces back from loss, beats rival Elwood It wasn’t the prettiest at times, but the Tipton boys basketball team's 43-38 win at Elwood on Tuesday night served as a much-needed bounceback game for the Blue Devils following Saturday’s lopsided 71-41 loss at unbeaten Frankton.
- More Sports Headlines