Tipton to play game at Huntington North
The IHSAA on Sunday announced times and locations for its boys basketball semistate games.
The Class 2A northern semistate between No. 2-ranked Tipton (25-2) and No. 7 Bowman Academy (16-9) is set for 1 p.m. Saturday at Huntington North. The winner will advance to the state finals.
GVSU’s Donson earns All-American honors
BIRMINGHAM, Ala. — Eastern High School product Blake Donson made a splash in the NCAA Division II indoor track and field championships last week.
Donson, a redshirt freshman at Grand Valley State in Michigan, took sixth in the weight throw with a personal-best throw of 61 feet, 11 1/2 inches. He came away with All-American honors on the strength of finishing in the top eight.
Donson had the best showing of any freshman in the event.
Local track squads compete in HSR
MARION — Local track and field teams completed the last section of the Hoosier State Relay qualifying meets Saturday at Indiana Weslyan University.
Kokomo’s girls team had a pair of strong showings. Summer Blackamore won the shot put with an effort of 38 feet, 3 1/4 inches and the 800-meter relay team of Ma-Ryssa Martin, Brayanna Fowler, Iesha Wallace and Raven Pugh placed second in 1:49.22.
Eastern’s boys team also had some strong showings. Grant Cole won the long jump with a leap of 22 feet, 4 3/4 inches. The 3,200 relay team of Lewis Duke, Josh Summers, Adam Schaaf and Sam Higdon was second in 8:28.18. And, James Reed was fourth in shot put with a toss of 46-1 1/2.
Athletes with top-24 performances from the qualifying meets will compete Saturday in the finals Saturday at IWU.
Youth softball team schedules tryouts
LOGANSPORT — The Rockets 8-and-under girls coach-pitch softball team will hold tryouts from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. Saturday at Landis Elementary in Logansport. Interested girls should bring their own glove, helmet and bat and wear gym-appropriate shoes.
For further information, parents should call Dan Johansen at 574-355-6209.
Tipton to play game at Huntington North
- Carley O'Neal is Athlete of the Week O'Neal turned in a strong all-around game to help Western beat Evansville Mater Dei 38-35 in the Class 3A state championship for the Panthers' first state title.
- Sports briefs for Monday, March 10 Kokomo High School product D.J. Balentine earned a spot on the Missouri Valley Conference's all-tournament team for men's basketball.
- Western beats Mater Dei for Class 3A state crown TERRE HAUTE -- Western's girls basketball team entered Saturday's Class 3A state finals matchup with Evansville Mater Dei as a heavy underdog. And, judging from what was on paper, Panthers coach Chris Keisling couldn't blame pundits for feeling that
- Western's Black perseveres TERRE HAUTE -- When Raven Black first learned the news that she'd have to move from Taylor schools to Western early in her junior year of school, she remembered feeling dejected. She wasn't even sure if she was going to continue to play basketball.
- Wildkats beat Mavs in OT to rule sectional Kokomo's boys basketball team had Memorial Gym buzzing with excitement this weekend.
- Blue Devils add to sectional reign Tipton added a new chapter to its long and proud boys basketball history on Saturday night. The Blue Devils won their 24th sectional championship, but for the first time a graduating class of seniors went 4-for-4 in winning sectionals.
- Big second period lifts Rossville past Carroll SHARPSVILLE - A big second quarter provided all the momentum Rossville needed in staking its claim on the Class A Sectional 54 title against Carroll at Tri-Central Saturday night. The Hornets outscored the Cougars 22-12 in the second period, pushing
- Sports briefs for Sunday, March 9 Northwestern gymnast Amber Miller fared well in the Lafayette Jeff Sectional on Saturday.
- MARTINO: Hang on, spring is right around the corner Do you remember the winter of 2012? That’s right, we didn't have one. We went from fall straight to spring. The thermometer hit 70 in February and by March, many were mowing grass.
- Fast-starting Kings win sectional NORTH MANCHESTER -- The Lewis Cass Kings are back on top in sectional play. The seventh-ranked Kings took their opponents' best shots in sectional but still came out on top. They captured their first title in seven years with a 69-53 win over Oak Hil
- More Sports Headlines