• NAME: Grant Cole
• SPORT: Boys track and field
• SCHOOL: Eastern
• GRADE: Senior
• ACCOMPLISHMENTS: Cole led the small-school Comets to the Kokomo Sectional title, their first title since 1998. Individually, he won the 110-meter high hurdles (15.28 seconds), 300 IM hurdles (:40.27) and long jump (23 feet, 1.5 inches). In addition, the Miami of Ohio recruit was third in the high jump (6-0).
Cole wins this week's award
• NAME: Grant Cole
- Just like old times The 2014 IHSAA boys basketball state tournament marks the 17th anniversary of the implementation of class basketball, but for former Kokomo players like Brian McCauley and Jason Snyder, the memories of what the single-class tournament was like are st
- BOWMAN: New blood is good for Sprint Cup For the first time in years, I have begun to tune back into following the NASCAR Sprint Cup Series thanks in large part to a talented crop of drivers champing at the bit for the 2014 Rookie of the Year title as well as a handful of other drivers who
- Sports briefs for Friday, March 7 Area trio named to HBM girls Top 60 squad Three area standouts were named to the Hoosier Basketball Magazine Top 60 senior girls squad Thursday. Kokomo's Jasmine Love, Western's Carley O'Neal and Tipton's Kacie Juday made the cut from 100 to 60, and
- Colts sign Jackson INDIANAPOLIS -- With the National Football League's veteran free agency period set to start on March 11, the Indianapolis Colts front office has started to make the decisions needed to retool for the 2014 season. Former Cleveland Browns inside lineba
- Purple Tigers come alive Northwestern boys basketball coach Jim Gish had a simple message for his players after the Purple Tigers staggered through the first half and found itself trailing Peru 22-14 in a Class 3A Twin Lakes Sectional game Wednesday night.
- Western holds of West Side despite Balentine's injury MONTICELLO -- Western's boys basketball team gutted out a difficult victory 57-56 over West Lafayette on Wednesday night in the opening round of the Class 3A Twin Lakes Sectional. West Lafayette's Caleb Smith wasn't able to convert an instant shot of
- Seniors on Western girls squad enjoying lead-up to state The current seniors in Western's girls basketball program knew they had something special, even at a young age.
- Kings handle Apaches Prior to the start of the season, Lewis Cass boys basketball coach Jon Kitchel knew his team was lacking size and would have to rely on speed and strong leadership for a successful season. The Kings relied on that formula throughout the regular season with good results, finishing 17-2 heading into the state tournament.
- Comets crush Blackhawks to start sectional play ALEXANDRIA -- It may take a full four quarters to make a basketball game, but Eastern showed you can get the job done in just one during its Class 2A Sectional 39 opener with Sheridan Wednesday night. Tied at 19-all two quarters in, the Comets busted
- Sports briefs for Thursday, March 6 Balentine earns MVC Most-Improved honors ST. LOUIS - Just a day after becoming the sixth University of Evansville men's basketball player to earn All-MVC First Team honors, D.J. Balentine was recognized once again, being named to the Missouri Valley
- More Sports Headlines