• NAME: Grant Cole
• SPORT: Boys track and field
• SCHOOL: Eastern
• GRADE: Senior
• ACCOMPLISHMENTS: Cole led the small-school Comets to the Kokomo Sectional title, their first title since 1998. Individually, he won the 110-meter high hurdles (15.28 seconds), 300 IM hurdles (:40.27) and long jump (23 feet, 1.5 inches). In addition, the Miami of Ohio recruit was third in the high jump (6-0).
Cole wins this week's award
• NAME: Grant Cole
- COLTS: It's time to go to work There's a different kind of buzz surrounding the Indianapolis Colts as they prepare to report for training camp today at Anderson University.
- Panthers' Balentine working to get back to his best Western boys basketball standout Des Balentine looked right at home in Richard R. Gymnasium as he went through some shooting drills Tuesday afternoon.
- DE LA BASTIDE: Brickyard has many contenders Before the winner of this Sunday’s Brickyard 400 at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway gets the chance to kiss the bricks, media members will be complaining about the race.
- BOWMAN: Clauson repeats as ISW champion Noblesville open-wheel standout Bryan Clauson used steady consistency throughout the 2014 running of the Indiana Sprint Week for the USAC Amsoil National Sprint Car Series to earn his second straight ISW title.
- Manziel scores as NFL's top-selling jersey CLEVELAND (AP) — Second on Cleveland's depth chart, Johnny Manziel already tops one NFL list. The popular rookie quarterback, who will begin his first training camp this week as a backup, had the league's top-selling jersey since April 1. The league
- Sports briefs for Tuesday, July 22 Kokomo’s Tionna Brown is set to compete in the USA Track and Field National Junior Olympic Championships this week at Humble, Texas.
- Sixers close with split The Kokomo Post 6 senior baseball squad split a doubleheader against Highland Post 180 on Sunday at CFD Investments Stadium in Highland Park, putting the wraps on a successful regular season.
- White is Athlete of the Week White played well in the Boys State Junior Championship at the Bloomington C.C.
- Sports briefs for Monday, July 21 Three Howard County youth baseball all-star squads are advancing to Cal Ripken Ohio Valley Regional tournaments.
- MARTINO: Poison ivy is prevalent in summer “Looks like you got into some poison ivy again,” I said to my mother last week. It was easy to tell as a red rash covered her arms and her face was painfully swollen. She is one of those people who loves being outdoors yet highly allergic to the common plant. Sometimes I believe she can get the rash by simply looking at the noxious weed.
- More Sports Headlines