• NAME: Grant Cole
• SPORT: Boys track and field
• SCHOOL: Eastern
• GRADE: Senior
• ACCOMPLISHMENTS: Cole led the small-school Comets to the Kokomo Sectional title, their first title since 1998. Individually, he won the 110-meter high hurdles (15.28 seconds), 300 IM hurdles (:40.27) and long jump (23 feet, 1.5 inches). In addition, the Miami of Ohio recruit was third in the high jump (6-0).
Cole wins this week's award
• NAME: Grant Cole
- Prep Roundup for Thursday, April 24 Western boys golf coach Steve Hoppes was pleased with his team's fifth-place finish in Saturday's Twin Lakes Invitational, but knew his squad was better than the 339 it posted. The Panthers saw improvement in Wednesday's 165-215 win over Taylor on th
- BOWMAN: Gas City gearing up for USAC sprints Heading into the new season at the Gas City I-69 Speedway, there were more questions than answers among fans as to how things were going to be run.
- NEER: Barley is a beneficial food It is no secret that raw fruits and vegetables are the best foods for us. Foods full of vitamins, nutrients and amino acids provide life to our cells, energy for our daily schedule and health to our minds, bodies and spirits.
- Sports briefs for Thursday, April 24 USF's Shurn honored with SI mention Former Kokomo standout Skylarr Shurn has been honored by Sports Illustrated with a spot on the magazine's Faces in the Crowd section, available at the magazine's website now. Shurn led the University of Saint Fran
- Mathis' leadership paying off INDIANAPOLIS -- An authentic set of battle armor greeted visitors to Robert Mathis' locker Wednesday at the Indiana Farm Bureau Football Center. The black-and-gold helmet and chest plate look more at home in one of the "300" movies, but they are the
- Prep roundup for Wednesday, April 23 Northwestern's track and field teams swept visiting Tri-Central on Tuesday night.
- BOWMAN: Cottle has high hopes for new campaign In an era that sees superstar athletes at any sport walk around and boast how great they are, it's refreshing to see the likes of Shane Cottle. He is an open wheel racing standout who never blows his own horn and is embarrassed by the attention he receives for being considered one of the top sprint car drivers in the country.
- Prep roundup for Tuesday, April 22 Eastern's girls tennis team beat Northfield 4-1 Monday at Greentown for its second straight win following a season-opening loss to Peru last week.
- Sports briefs for Tuesday, April 22 The Mid-American Conference on Monday named former Kokomo Wildkat standout T.J. Weir its West Division Pitcher of the Week.
- Simmerman is Athlete of the Week Simmerman helped the Comets go 3-0 last week.
- More Sports Headlines