• NAME: Bethany Neeley
• SPORT: Girls track and field
• SCHOOL: Eastern
• GRADE: Senior
• ACCOMPLISHMENTS: Neeley had a pair of record-breaking performances in the Zionsville Invitational on Friday. She won the 3,200 run in an all-time area best time of 10:52.91, and helped the Comets’ 4x800 relay team roar to a win in an all-time area best time of 9:10.63. The Comets’ 4x800 time ranks No. 3 in state history and No. 6 in the nation this year. Neely is no stranger to all-time area records — the IU recruit also owns individual bests in the 1,600 run, 800 run and 300 hurdles and is part of the 4x400 best. She is the defending 1,600 state champion.
Bethany Neeley is this week's AOW.
• NAME: Bethany Neeley
- Sports briefs, Dec. 10 Kokomo visits Muncie Central on Friday for the first North Central Conference game of the season. Also on Friday, there are three Mid-Indiana Conference matchups and a Hoosier Heartland Conference game — Western at Eastern, Northwestern at Taylor and Hamilton Heights at Cass in the MIC and Sheridan at Clinton Central in the HHC.
- Balentine wins MVC award The Missouri Valley Conference on Monday named Evansville sophomore guard D.J. Balentine its men's basketball player of the week.
- 'It will be a great one' As college football prepares for the final Bowl Championship Series, featuring a Florida State-Auburn championship game, it's easy to see why the coming four-team playoff won't solve all the postseason problems.
- Fishers betters Kokomo with solid shooting Since earning its first win in program history in 2006-07 against Kokomo, the new Fishers High School has struggled mightily against the Wildkats. Kokomo had won six in a row over the Tigers headed into Saturday’s night’s game, but senior Kortland Townsend made sure that streak ended.
- Western rides D to victory Western's boys basketball team is going to be at a height disadvantage against most of the teams it will play this season.
- 'Team basketball' sends Taylor past Oak Hill Taylor's boys basketball team bounced back from a heavy loss at Frankton last week with a composed effort against Oak Hill on Saturday. The Titans took the lead late in the first quarter and kept Oak Hill at arm's length the rest of the night in scoring a 58-49 victory at Center Court.
- Eastbrook builds early lead, holds Eastern at bay The effort was full-bore for 32 minutes, but success is hard to come by when you're facing a veteran opponent and the ball and basket fail to connect.
- Frankton's pressure proves too much for No. 5 Tipton FRANKTON - Not even the opening tip went the way of the Tipton boys basketball team Saturday night as the Class 2A, No. 5-ranked Blue Devils' whirlwind first weekend of the season closed on a sour note. No. 8-ranked Frankton jumped out to an 11-0 le
- Prep roundup, Dec. 8 Kokomo's wrestling squad went 5-0 in Saturday's Taylor Super Six to take the team event, and had four wrestlers go 5-0 in the process.
- MARTINO: At 87, Engle remains an active outdoorsman We finally met at a friend’s house, although I’d heard about him for several years. He was polite, cordial and soft spoken. Our conversation centered around a fat doe he had taken several weeks back.
- More Sports Headlines