• NAME: Bethany Neeley
• SPORT: Girls track and field
• SCHOOL: Eastern
• GRADE: Senior
• ACCOMPLISHMENTS: Neeley had a pair of record-breaking performances in the Zionsville Invitational on Friday. She won the 3,200 run in an all-time area best time of 10:52.91, and helped the Comets’ 4x800 relay team roar to a win in an all-time area best time of 9:10.63. The Comets’ 4x800 time ranks No. 3 in state history and No. 6 in the nation this year. Neely is no stranger to all-time area records — the IU recruit also owns individual bests in the 1,600 run, 800 run and 300 hurdles and is part of the 4x400 best. She is the defending 1,600 state champion.
Bethany Neeley is this week's AOW.
• NAME: Bethany Neeley
- Prep roundup for Wednesday, April 23 Northwestern's track and field teams swept visiting Tri-Central on Tuesday night.
- BOWMAN: Cottle has high hopes for new campaign In an era that sees superstar athletes at any sport walk around and boast how great they are, it's refreshing to see the likes of Shane Cottle. He is an open wheel racing standout who never blows his own horn and is embarrassed by the attention he receives for being considered one of the top sprint car drivers in the country.
- Prep roundup for Tuesday, April 22 Eastern's girls tennis team beat Northfield 4-1 Monday at Greentown for its second straight win following a season-opening loss to Peru last week.
- Sports briefs for Tuesday, April 22 The Mid-American Conference on Monday named former Kokomo Wildkat standout T.J. Weir its West Division Pitcher of the Week.
- Simmerman is Athlete of the Week Simmerman helped the Comets go 3-0 last week.
- Prep Roundup for Sunday, April 20 Eastern's softball squad built a 5-0 lead through six innings, only to have Taylor rally for four runs before the Class 2A No. 9-ranked Comets were able to close the door for a 5-4 win Saturday in a non-conference game at Taylor. Maddie Vint put East
- Ortmann headed to Taylor When Northwestern senior Graham Ortmann learned last month that he'd been named a recipient of the Lilly Endowment, that was a major weight off his shoulders. The endowment, working with the Community Foundation of Howard County, awards full tuition
- Sports briefs for Sunday, April 20 Maupin set to play hoops at Hanover WALTON -- Lewis Cass senior point guard Maci Maupin will continue her basketball career at Hanover College. She will play for Hanover coach Molly Jones, who just completed her 15th year at the Division III school l
- MARTINO: You may have company in woods Daylight has lengthened and cold winds have finally given way to warm, gentle breezes, for the most part, anyway. This is the special time of year when many of us enjoy being outdoors, a welcome escape from the four walls that almost held us hostage
- Prep Roundup for Saturday, April 19 Northwestern's girls tennis team got a sweep from its doubles tandems and a point from the No. 1 singles player to edge Northfield 3-2 Friday on the Northwestern courts, improving to 2-1 on the season. Emily Harshman won 6-3, 6-2 at No. 1 singles, Me
- More Sports Headlines