Kokomo Tribune; Kokomo, Indiana

August 17, 2013

Saturday's sports briefs


Kokomo Tribune

---- — Bowling opts to stay with Shortridge hoops

INDIANAPOLIS — Kokomo native Donnie Bowling has decided to remain the boys basketball coach at Shortridge High School, according to the Indianapolis Star. Bowling had accepted the same position at Indianapolis Arlington earlier in the week, but had a change of heart.

Bowling led Shortridge to a 12-9 record in 2012-13, which was his first year at the school. It marked a 10-game turnaround from the the 2011-12 season.

Post 6 schedulestryouts for Aug. 24-25

The Kokomo Post 6 American Legion baseball team has scheduled tryouts on Aug. 24-25 for spots on the 2014 summer squad. Tryouts are at CFD Investments Stadium in Highland Park and players need to attend only one session. Players who will be freshmen or sophomores this coming school year will tryout at 1 p.m. Juniors and seniors will tryout at 3 p.m. Players should bring their own equipment.

For more information call any of the following: Don Andrews at 765-453-5569; Ron Barnes at 765-860-4763; or Will Harris at 765-461-1225.

Former MLB player Curtis found guilty

HASTINGS, Mich. (AP) — Former major league outfielder Chad Curtis has been found guilty on charges that he inappropriately touched teenage girls.

A jury in Michigan’s Barry County returned its verdict Friday. Curtis faces up to 15 years in prison. Sentencing will come at a later date.

The 44-year-old Curtis was convicted of six counts of criminal sexual conduct.

Prosecutors say he touched girls between the ages of 13 and 16 last year when he was a volunteer weight-room strength trainer at an area high school.

Between 1992 and 2001, Curtis played for the then-California Angels, Detroit Tigers, Los Angeles Dodgers, Cleveland Indians, New York Yankees and Texas Rangers. He won two World Series rings with the Yankees.

Defense lawyer David Dodge had said Curtis denied any criminal wrongdoing.

Pistorius to be indicted, trial in early 2014

JOHANNESBURG (AP) — Oscar Pistorius will be indicted for premeditated murder on Monday and the double-amputee Olympian will go on trial in early 2014, about a year after shooting dead girlfriend Reeva Steenkamp.

In a somber twist, the world-famous athlete will be served with the murder indictment on the day Steenkamp would have celebrated her 30th birthday.

Pistorius will be formally charged for the Valentine’s Day slaying of the woman he says he loved dearly and killed by mistake, and will face a life sentence with a minimum of 25 years in prison if convicted of premeditated murder. Other charges could be added to the indictment. Prosecutors declined to comment on South African media reports on Friday that charges of recklessly discharging a firearm in public in two separate incidents would also be laid against the runner.

If the extra charges — reportedly relating to Pistorius shooting a gun out a moving car and firing one accidentally at a restaurant — are added, they may show the prosecution’s aim to paint him as trigger-happy at his blockbuster trial next year.

The 26-year-old Pistorius denies he committed murder and says he shot Steenkamp through a locked toilet cubicle door in his bathroom in the early hours of Feb. 14 thinking she was a dangerous nighttime intruder. Prosecutors say he intended to kill her. A six-month police investigation ended this week, during which investigators reportedly focused on cellphones found at Pistorius’ upscale home as well as the toilet door through which he shot.

The investigation team “is convinced that the accused has a charge to answer to,” the national police commissioner’s office said. A guilty verdict could send Pistorius to prison until he is older than 50, at least.