Kokomo Tribune; Kokomo, Indiana

January 9, 2013

Ind. home damaged when homemade fireworks explode


The Associated Press

Andrews — Authorities are blaming an explosion that knocked a northeastern Indiana home off of its foundation on a man's attempt to make fireworks in his basement.

Tuesday's early morning blast knocked the home near the Huntington County town of Andrews off its foundation in two places and blew out the basement's concrete-block wall, but the homeowner and his wife were not injured.

The man told officials he had ground aluminum into a fine dust to make fireworks and suspects that static electricity triggered the explosion, which started a small fire in the home's basement.

Andrews Volunteer Fire Chief Tom Wuensch tells The Journal Gazette the house is no longer livable. Wuensch tells WANE-TV he thinks the owner was making fireworks for a large personal 4th of July display.